#0dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:01am

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7885

"And I'm telling you, I'm not going"

DiRrTy_ReNtHEAD420 Profile Photo
DiRrTy_ReNtHEAD420
#1re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:10am

WHY DONT WE JSUT MAKE FILMS OF ALL THE BROADWAY SHOWS SO NO ONE WILL COME AND SEE THEM LIVE. Don't get me wrong Ill be there to see it and I cant wait but WTF can u let some things just stay on the stage?

No Other Road.. No Other Way.. No Day But Today! Live Dirty, Play Dirrty, I am DIRRTY!

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#2re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:25am

Oh RENTHEAD, give it a rest. :) We don't have the option of seeing Dreamgirls on Broadway anymore.

This news made my night. DREAMGIRLS to be a movie musical written and director by Bill Condon (Chicago, Kinsey, Gods and Monsters). I smell Oscar with the right casting, which I'm sure Condon will have no trouble getting!

sipos
#3re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:52am

It could attract and open up lots 'o' new people to musicals, and want to see them live. It used to be like that. It could help things. I think it will.

jdanton2 Profile Photo
jdanton2
#4re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 8:14am

hopefully tamyra gray might consider it . she would be great in a movie musical such as this.

http://www.tamyra.org

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#5re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 9:46am

Jennifer Hudson, Frenchie Davis and who else...

-Vincent

Plum
#6re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 9:49am

Somehow Beyonce Knowles will find her way into this; I know it. She seems to be in every other movie. re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#7re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 9:55am

If Beyonce is cast in this film, I will not see it!!

-Vincent

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#8re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 10:08am

Don't forget who's writing and directing. Bill Condon is a man of great integrity.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#9re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 10:16am

YAY!!!!!!! Just keep bigg booty Beyonce away from it. and I hope they cast people who can genuinely both sing and act.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#10re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:22pm

Old news.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#11re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:26pm

Ive said it before and I'll say it again...Beyonce would make an AMAZING Deena. She's perfect for it.

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

LoringsGuy
#12re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 12:39pm

I have to agree with you, LuvUrBatBoy. People have the knee-jerk reaction that she'd be awful because she's a pop star. If she was unknown and landed the role, she'd be a sensation. It's shrewd casting because her name would be a draw for people that wouldn't normally see a musical, AND she could actually pull it off.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#13re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:29pm

I'm not saying she could'nt pull it off,she might be really good in the role.My problem with Beyonce is overkill.
She been everywhere for the last 4 years I just don't want a big backlash when everyone gets sick of her. She needs to take a break.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#14re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:30pm

All ya'll Beyonce haters see my post on the other Dreamgirls/movie thread!!!!!
http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?page=2&thread=699730&startthread=700272 Updated On: 1/11/05 at 01:30 PM

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#15re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:34pm

Heather Headley!

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#16re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:42pm

Casting suggestions for the film:

Effie: FANTASIA BARINO

Curtis: Will Smith

Jimmy: Sean Combs

Deana: Beyonce, Heather Headley, Brandy

Lorelle: Audra McDonald, Queen Latifah

The original DREAMGIRLS was a masterpiece. The stage production was as "cinematic" as any has ever been. It is about time DREAMGIRLS made it to the big screen so millions around the world can fall in love with it. Let us remember, most people on earth never, ever are able to see a live Broadway musical in their entire lifetime. The world of film reaches audiences that the world of live theater simply can never reach.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#17re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:00pm

Those are some interesting choices.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#18re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:14pm

ty Thetruth:)

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

silent
#19re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:43pm

If Beyonce or Halle Berry end up in this movie, I will picket!

Considerations: Jennifer Hudson, Frenchie Davis, Latoya Landon, Tamyra Gray and Tarralyn Ramsey.

I can see Deborah Cox as either Lorell or Deena.

Toni Braxton better stay away from this project as well.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#20re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:53pm

Beyonce will definately be considered. As it is, they need names for a Box Office draw.
Let's not forget Anika Noni Rose, who would be a great Lorel. Personally, I didn't like Heather's rendition of the character on the concert recording, but do remember that neither of them are known to the mainstream moviegoers.
Fantasia as Effie? Um, I don't think so. She doesn't have the right voice. Jennifer Hudson, on the other hand has the perfect voice AND look for that role.
I can see Sean Combs in it, but let's not forget that Taye Diggs would make a PERFECT Curtis.
As for James, Jamie Foxx would be a great choice.
And you KNOW that Jennifer Holiday, Sheryl Lee Ralph and (my girl) Loretta Devine would have to make cameos (How about as the Stepp Sisters)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#21re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:21pm

Let's not forget Jill Scott (Who was not only in Rent but made her film debut in Cavedweller)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#22re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:29pm

Wow, a lot of these suggestions are kind of insane. Fantasia as Effie?! Effie is supposed to have a weight problem. Fantasia is a stick. And I saw Frenchie in the West Coast tour a while back, and that girl can't act to save her life. Great voice, but she just can't act. If Halle Barry was younger I would think she would be great. I'm sure Lauryn Hill would still be interested, as she was connected to the last incarnation of the project. Also, Kelly Price and Jill Scott were being considered for Effie last time. Out of everyone so far, I think that Jennifer Hudson is the best choice for the role, but she's not that big of a name. Maybe if she gets something on Broadway before they film. I wouldn't be surprised if Tamyra Gray was up for Deena.

And WISHIHADATONY, where on earth did you come up with the ideas of Audra McDonald or Queen Latiffah as Lorrel? Do you even know what Dreamgirls is about?

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

LoringsGuy
#23re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:47pm

Can Justin Timberlake make a cameo as the "Cadillac Car" singer?

OK, that was a joke...

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#24re: dreamgirls the big screen adaption
Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:54pm

It would be really nice if they'd cast some fresh/unknown talent. However, I'm thinking Jill Scott would do a GREAT job!!

Videos