Black Glinda?

Joshua488
#125re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:05am

I, personally, would be a little bit taken aback, because it's not as if there isn't already an enormous abundance of roles for white people. And even when it comes to roles with an unspecified race, nine times out of ten, it will be cast with a white actor. So it would seem a little unnecessary to have an "all-white show", but I wouldn't be in an uproar. I would just sigh and go audition for THE WIZ for the thirteenth time.

BSoBW2
#126re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:07am

Actually, I believe the thing with The Wiz is that The Wizard of Oz had always been a white cast - so The Wiz, obviously, is the answer to that....

Then, of course, Ken Page was in the Wizard of OZ...but still...

BSoBW2
#127re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:09am

I'm white and personally would be upset if I went to the Wiz (or when I go to see The Wiz) and saw a white person in the cast....

Get on with it Des, dammit (who, coincidentally, is white)

Chote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
#128re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:11am

Jewi: Wicked is a prequel to the wizard of oz and is not a sequel to the book wicked, but the story of the book wicked.

kissmycookie: That's a very good point. I hadn't even realized that. However, I think the difference between a white woman with red hair as oppossed to blonde hair is significantly less noticeable than the difference between a white woman and black woman, as evidenced by my lack of observation.

I think the transition from red hair to blonde hair was quite intentional in order to create a more distict and specific character for Glinda. While me admitting that does contradict the point I made in my previous post, I think the hair color change was subtle enough that it doesn't refute my previous point.

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#129re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:11am

Okay...I've seen plenty of black women with blond hair. Sure it may not be their real hair color. Who cares? If she can play the part, let her have it.

If Glinda were a historical person, we would have to keep it to a certain race. If she obviously were of a certain nationality, we would have to stick to that. But c'mon, what diference does it make?

BSoBW2
#130re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:12am

Why do historic shows only have to have certain race?

Why can't I write a show and say a character is black...like Rent...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#131re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:14am

But you do see what I mean? I'm not saying YOU necessarily, but I often encounter this situation with friends, at school, work, etc. I, for one, consider myself to be open minded and not racist at all. I am very passionate about racial issues because it is such a controversial thing and many people consider themselves open minded when really, they are racist themselves. There's no doubt that many people today still are racist - denying that would be ridiculous. But this is something about racism that really really does annoy me. And don't take this the wrong way, TRUST me, it's not meant maliciously. Often times when dicsussing racial inequalities, African-Americans are the first to call foul in a situation, whether there may really be an issue or not isn't up for me to decide - but often when AA's call out others for being racist, they absolutely refuse to admit that they, themselves are racist towards white people. I have encountered this many times and will never understand the logic behind it. I didn't explain that very well, I know, but do you get the jist of what I'm saying?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Joshua488
#132re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:15am

You can, BSoBW2, you can!! I've been saying this! It's totally fine if you write a character and specifically say that it is of a certain race. But in the case of WICKED where nowhere in the script does it say that Glinda is Caucasian, the actor's race should not matter.

Phew, why do I feel like Condoleezza Rice in front of the Senate?

BSoBW2
#133re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:17am

What if it were verbally said that Glinda be white - even though it isn't in the script.....get me?

BEKA531
#134re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:19am

don't drag rent in. few of the OBC actors were type-casted, and a couple were casted differently than the original ideas for the ethnicity of the characters. for example, collins was originally white, but they loved jesse.

rent is one of the most ethically diverse shows on broadway. the original cast consisted of a 5 white, 2 black, and 1 cuban jew to play 2 latinos, 2 blacks, and 4 whites. mimi is often a black actress, although she is latina. the hair color and overall "look" of many of the characters has changed over the years, for example, maureen originally had brown hair, and now she has blonde. mark originally had blonde hair, and now he has brown.

but then again, rent really has nothing to do with race and "trying to fit in" the way wicked does. so the ethnicity/hair color/etc. of the characters really doesn't matter whatsoever.

Joshua488
#135re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:19am

Just to clear the air, let me say: I ADMIT IT! I'm slightly racist towards white people! ("Everyone's a little bit racist...") I'm even racist towards black people! A lot of black people frighten me! I have, like, two black friends because... let's just say that the majority of black people in my area are not people that I would want to associate with. I try not to, but I sometimes approach a white person and immediately think that they are prejudiced against me. I only do this because too often have I approached a white person and thought that they looked at me equally and was proven wrong later.

But I love everyone here! I am not against any of you!

Oh God, please don't kill me.

And if in the script, Elphaba (or someone) explicitly said that Glinda is white, then that's fine. For example, if she said, "Glinda is the whitest girl I've ever met" or if she compared her green skin to Glinda's white skin, then I can understand. But I don't think that happens anywhere in the show. Updated On: 2/2/05 at 12:19 AM

Chote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
#136re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:22am

If a role is written and specified to be a specific race, it is because the creators of the show felt it was necessary in order to create the best production possible.

If a role is written but not specified to be of a certain race in the script but the show's creators feel as though only a person of a specific race should be cast in the show, it was because they felt it was necessary in order to create the best production possible. As is the case with Glinda.

Both situations, although different, exist because the show's writers, directors, and producers felt as though racial parameters should be given to a role.

BEKA531
#137re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:23am

And if in the script, Elphaba (or someone) explicitly said that Glinda is white, then that's fine. For example, if she said, "Glinda is the whitest girl I've ever met" or if she compared her green skin to Glinda's white skin, then I can understand. But I don't think that happens anywhere in the show.

no, it doesn't. which means that glinda can be played by ANYONE. but in the script, it does say that glinda is blonde. so no matter what color she is, she still must be blonde. Updated On: 2/2/05 at 12:23 AM

Joshua488
#138re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:25am

BEKA531 just summed up my point. Thank you.

I'm done for the night.

Going to sleep so I can be all nice and rested to see THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA tomorrow afternoon... second row center orchestra!! re: Black Glinda?

BSoBW2
#139re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:26am

Well, Pink is the new black...and a black person wouldn't say it.....bronxexpress moment lol

#140re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:27am

if the producers have specified that glinda must be white in their casting calls, it may be precisely to avoid the connotation I suggested would come with having a black actress. I would see that as a positive, but they may not like that concept.

Joshua488
#141re: Black Glinda?

Hold on... one more idea.

I would love to see Audrey of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS played by a black actress. One that could make a really definitive difference (vocally) between meek, quiet Audrey in the first act and liberated, soulful Audrey during/after "Suddenly, Seymour". Just something I've thought about for a while.

GOOD NIGHT!

BSoBW2
#142re: Black Glinda?

either way, s'all good...

BSoBW2
#143re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:28am

I see where you are going with that Josh....

but there is actually a point to the racial casting of LSOH - an OBVIOUS point...

Chote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
#144re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:29am

A bit of trivia:

"Racism" only applies to a majority adapting an ideology of inherant supremacy.

So technically a black person cannot be "racist" against a white person because of the demographics of the U.S. But they can be "racist" against asians.

Not that it really matters but I found that to be very interesting.

#145re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:34am

but they could be ethnocentric.

BEKA531
#146re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:35am

you are very welcome, josh.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#147re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:49am

This is actually a reall interesting question.

Honestly, at first I was like "No way! That could never work!!!" But the more I think about it, the more I think it could work. If she has the right vocals and the acting chops why not.

Theres no blonde black women? Hello! Can someone say BEYONCE! Ha. Yes, yes I know, not naturally blonde but it works for her. (I am NOT suggesting Beyonce should play G(a)linda!!!)

I actually think it might add some humor to the "Blonde..." line. It reminds me of when I saw Adam and a very pregnant Daphne singing "Light my Candle" at Kean. Adam sang "You look like your...16?"

I don't want to get to deep into this debate because no matter what people will disagree. But I will say this. If the role specifies a certain race, then thats how they should be cast. If nothing is certain about it, as far as I am concerned, everything is far game.

Also, casting is done not only by skill but appereances. If they aren't a certain height, weight, age, or just doesn't "look right." Not saying its right or wrong just pointing it out.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#148re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 1:27am

Sorry to come late to the conversation (stupid guys in my dorm playing Halo screwed up the network), but I wanted to read everything through carefully before I posted.

"but if a black girl was playing glinda, there would be this idea that she may have, or her family at some point, also gone through hardship simply because of the color of their skin. And now shes judging someone else for the very same reason."

This is exactly what I thought when this issue first came up a few weeks ago. I think Wicked is a show about racism, to an extent. Otherwise, what difference would it make if Elphaba was actually green?

I just think it would be odd for a black Galinda to be making fun Elphaba because of her skin color. Regardless of the fact that it doesn't change the actual plotline, it would be difficult for a black actress to portray someone insulting another person's skin color without an unintentional sense of irony. This would effect the social commentary in the show and would definitely have an impact on the way the audience viewed it.

Although, when I saw Wicked, I have to admit, I commented to my sister that there was only one black person in the Emerald City.

"AGAIN - Egyptians aren't white...obviously historical accuracy isn't that important (and Jesus wasn't white.....)"

Actually, my friend is Egyptian and he refers to himself as a White African American. Which is technically true, I guess...

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

M_Jokay Profile Photo
M_Jokay
#149re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 3:30am

let me begin by stateing that this is ridiculous. ok, i feel better.

Alright, now I think that a black Glinda would NEVER be acceptable* in Wicked. In Wizard of Oz, it would be nontraditional, but acceptable, but in Wicked, never:

As a black woman, Glinda would stand out as different or exceptional- which she is not. She is not supposed to be outstanding in any way. She is rich, bubbly (pun) and popular, but we all went to high school with the same girl who turned into the trailer park princess. That's Glinda.

She does, however, change in the end, but if performed by a black woman, it would almost appear that Glinda was predisposed to change, as if it were easier for her to change than others because she was already different. This is entirely missing the point as well. Glinda's change needs to seem extraordinary, you know? Like this rich untalented mediocre girl really decided to make something of herself? To go against her own (white, rich, powerful) people?

Now, Elphaba is a different story. Black is so powerful for her. To endure the hardship of green is much like it was being black in our world of days gone by (and some still today). This would make Glinda's change even better, actually, that she would befriend a defend a green (black) girl against the mass public?

See, I'm not racist, but it just wouldn't work. It's really important. It's kind of the point.

*For those that noticed this "*", I did say that it would NEVER work for Glinda to be black, but there is ONE case and that is if all cast members were black except Elphaba as the only white character. That's all I can think of.

Videos