pixeltracker

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast- Page 6

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#125re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 8:00pm

Tripping over his teeth to play Brick...not in general terms. And Denzel is 52. He's closing in Big Daddy territory.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#126re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 8:36pm

So now that I've read the entire thread, I'll put in my .02.
Great idea. I think the show could work as an all black cast, if they're good enough actors.
I think that's why I didn't like Brandy and Whitney's Cinderella. I kept on thinking, "He's white and she's black and he's asian." But that's for another thread...

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#127re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 8:54pm

Dear God, please don't let Halle Berry near this production. Beyonce Knowles is Sarah Bernhardt compared to her.

C is for Company
#128re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:09pm

I would not like to see Audra in this. I would love for it to have James Earl Jones if he is not busy, along with a cast of fresh faces!

Fiction Writer
#129re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:19pm

It's a role she was

BORNNNNNN

to play!

C is for Company
#130re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:39pm

Oh please, around here Audra is born to play everything. Can't another brilliant talent have a chance at the role she probably will win her 5th or 6th tony for?

Fiction Writer
#131re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:43pm

My reply was supposed to go after Bennett's.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#132re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:30pm

I hope Audra is signing on the dotted line as we speak!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#133re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:10pm

Blair Underwood is another one of those actors who would be tripping over his long teeth as Brick. "LA Law" was 20 years ago.

And as for Audra, I've already... oh never mind.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

BSoBW2
#134re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:11pm

Yeah, but is Audra McDonald even black?

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#135re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:22pm

^^^^That **** is funny.

Alright first of all, this would not be a "concept" show. It would be a legitimate , regular, piece of theater that happens to feature black actors.

Contrary to the consensus on this thread, black people were rich and well-off in the 1950s. They were rich before then. Why is it assumed that Brick has to be on an integrated football team? (i forgot the asshole's screenname that put this as a point of historical inaccuracy) Why couldn't he have just played for his black high school's team?

And yes, it would be DEAD WRONG to have a black Mama Rose because Gypsy Rose Lee was not black. This particular play could be done very well with white or black actors and make just as much sense.
Maybe the question isn't historical inaccuracy, maybe it's can a white audience accept seeing well-to-do blacks in the 1950s.

Things that make you go, "hmmmmm...."

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#136re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:44am

Audra McDonald might be appropriate yet way too predictable. She is not the only talented African-American actress in her age range. The idea of Anika Noni Rose is much more inspired and could make for a less-predictable yet inspiring casting.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#138re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:12am

Who will play the servants in the house?

C is for Company
#139re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:27am

The gays re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast Or the white folk, who the hell knows? What it WILL be is interesting!

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#140re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:37pm

I like the idea of Ruby Dee for Big Mama, but not so much the idea of Phylicia Rashad, who I absolutely adore. Perhaps it's just the productions I've seen, but Big Mama always comes off sort of silly (until her big scene near the end) and Ms. Rashad is anything but silly. She could eat Maggie & Brick & the rest of them for brunch. Altho, the idea of her screaming "A spastic colon!" repeatedly into a telephone is my idea of heaven!!

And if there is a God above, She needs to tell Chandra Wilson to get on this NOW!!!!!!! I'll personally buy out her contract on Grey's Anatomy. Dr. Bailey as Sister Woman...I think Imma black out *does*

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#141re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:43pm

I don't think Audra is enough of a sexual "siren" to play Maggie.

Sorry, but I don't.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#142re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:45pm

She might be able to get there with the right coaching/direction, Twelvy.

As far as Underwood, he still reads pretty young, unlike Washington.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#143re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:49pm

Maybe not, but I'd be first in line to watch her try.

I like someone else's suggestion of Sanaa Lathan. Sharon Leal is certainly siren-y enough--can she act? Anika Noni Rose is indeed brilliant, but I agree with whoever said she reads too young. Aw hell, bring Jennifer Holliday in to do it. re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

What about Lillias White as Big Mama, if she can be aged a bit.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#144re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:58pm

Thandie Newton and Taye Diggs. End o' story.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#145re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:59pm

Taye Diggs CANNOT ACT.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BSoBW2
#146re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:03pm

Rath, Taye Diggs is a fantastic actor. Have you even seen his impersonation of a wooden table? Let's see Meryl Streep do that.

They should just use the cast from the recent RAISIN revival. And they can form the "Token All-Black Broadway Cast Troupe."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#147re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:04pm

Rath, you are the one who suggested...Halle Berry?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#148re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:06pm

Halle Berry is no Meryl Streep, but she can act rings around Taye Diggs.

Hell, my goldfish can act rings around Taye Diggs.

BSoBW2
#149re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:07pm

Rath, I know you are old and have been extremely out of the loop. Let me educate you. Wooden acting is the new method acting.

And the TABBCT can occasionally team up with other black actors like Tonya Pinkins and Shoshana Bean.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#150re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:15pm

I saw Taye Diggs and Vera Farmiga in DUTCHMAN.

Taye Diggs can act.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Videos