pixeltracker

FINDING NEVERLAND Previews- Page 7

FINDING NEVERLAND Previews

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#150FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/19/15 at 11:01pm

Harvey Weinstein is so desperate to have a hit, he really doesn't care how he gets there. It sounds pretty formulaic, and who needs yet another film-to-theatre second-rate adaptation with unnecessary songs? It may do well, considering how mediocre so many of the new shows and revivals seem to be. It kind of has the family trade business locked, so what can you do? If you're me, you can avoid it.

Take your money this weekend and go see PAINT YOUR WAGON, a slight show with a gorgeous score that is splendidly sung and performed. A must for any real musical theatre fan.

KathyNYC2
#151FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/19/15 at 11:04pm

I sat in Row S of the orchestra all the way to the side and the view was fine but I don't think I would like to be further back. I think Front Mezz would be ideal.

I think it was a little long (especially in the first act) and not everything worked but overall I really loved it. When it was good, it was amazing. Much of the music is just ok..some of it sounded a little familiar... but there are a couple of really good songs/numbers (and yes Play was hysterical). James and Peter's duet was just lovely. I thought all the leads were just great. The boys were charming, the cast first rate..

I know the audience howled but I could have done without the "wink, wink Cheers joke"...Kelsey Grammar not withstanding. I didn't care for the "in" jokes that took you out of the play - it's not that type of show. It didn't need them.

Who is this show geared for? I saw a kid in the audience with a binky in his mouth..certainly not the target audience. I think families with older kids will like it, adults will like it, but while optimistic at the end, it's pretty sad for younger ones.

But it's still a preview..let's see what if anything gets changed.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#152FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/19/15 at 11:09pm

I find myself suddenly wondering if there's any grouping of liking / not liking this musical and knowing / not knowing (or liking / not liking) the movie. I wonder if fondness or familiarity with the movie corresponds with disliking the show. I'm not claiming this is the case, I haven't kept any eye on whether people mentioned it or not. It's just a thought. And of course, even if true, it would only be one factor out of many.

iluvtheatertrash
#153FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/19/15 at 11:32pm

I wish I could get to PAINT YOUR WAGON but my schedule sadly just didn't allow at all this week. Was so mad at myself when I realized what I'd scheduled in the way. Ah, well....

I really wanted to like this. I even prepared myself for it to not live up to the movie. But there's not living up to something and then there's just abysmally BOMBING.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

h6p8gv
#154FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 8:29am

Anyone know how the stage door has been

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#155FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 8:34am

You're a little creepy stage door person.

Stephanatic

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#156FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 9:12am

I loved this show from beginning to end. Beautiful piece of work. Talked to Diane Paulus before going up to Matt's dressing room. she seemed very happy about it.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#157FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 9:23am

I thought this was pretty poor. It felt very contrived without a real sense of flow and completely lost any of the charm of the movie. It does improve a lot towards the end, the pub song onwards it much stronger and flows much better. The pub song is also perfect fit for the show, the rest of the songs are mainly forgettable with only lmk solo and 'when your feet don't touch the ground' really sitting right.

Matthew Morrison is the stand out, his accent is pretty good and he does the best he can with the material. Kelsey Grammer gets the best one liners, but didn't like the knowing nod to cheers, took you out of the show.

The set I found mainly ugly, and considering it's producer and creative team the staging was quite basic for the majority of the show.

Overall it just felt cold and corporate without any real heart which considering the story is a real shame

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#158FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 9:33am

I appreciate the intricately posed questions about the expectations vis a vis the film. But commercially speaking, the broader, simpler one might be: does this show appeal to those who dearly love PETER PAN? Is it a show that delivers on enough of the iconic tale's magic? Fully understanding that it's far from a retelling. If the answer is yes, I believe that's the biggest word of mouth factor. If it's a show people who adore PAN can bring their children to, and adults can savor as a fresh point of access. It's one of the things the film didn't quite land, in content or marketing. Just my feeling.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Princeton Returns
#159FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 9:45am

I'm British and love Peter Pan and for me no it didn't capture that magic. I think their aim, especially in the first half is to focus on how JM Barrie wrote the play and get inside his mind (resulting in some weird numbers) so when im meant to care about the relationship between Sylvia and james, I didnt

I also don't remember them kissing in the movie, but I could be wrong as I've not seen it in a while.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#160FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 10:03am

Princeton, I think you summed up for me what I couldn't quite put my finger on about this production: it does feel cold and corporate.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#161FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 4:54pm

**** SPOILER-ISH ****

Yes, the Tinkerbell moment is still what the audience first experiences.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this effect was accomplished?

On a different note, in addition to the "Cheers" joke and the fairy joke, they should also cut the actor's mouthed reaction to Barrie at the rehearsal. Unfortunately, all three of these moments got lots of laughter, so I doubt they'll cut them.

Nick Murphy
#162FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 6:29pm

The curtain should win an award as the ugliest curtain to ever appear in a Broadway theatre.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#163FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 8:58pm

anyone think this show will get shut out of nominations because people don't like Harvey?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Liza's Headband
#164FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 9:04pm

I think you will get shut out of everything.

Back Row
#165FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 9:28pm

"anyone think this show will get shut out of nominations because people don't like Harvey?"

It could get shut out simply because of the competition. I can't think of a single category where it would not be at best a toss up for the last nomination available. Harvey doesn't help things when he dares Brantley to give him a bad review, as he did in his Hollywood Reporter interview, but I don't think that will end up being a factor in the number of nominations it gets. The competition is just likely to be too strong in every category.

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#166FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 9:09am

I can't see the show or Matthew not being nominated. I don't understand how Tony voters would rule out a show because they don't like Harvey Weinstein. So what? You don't have to have dinner with him. He's a successful producer and possibly an a$$, but that's a problem that shouldn't influence the opinion on a show or a cast. The cast is building something beautiful on stage every night, and that shouldn't be affected by personal opinions.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

Back Row
#167FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 10:05am

I think the Weinstein hate could affect the critics, but as I said, I doubt that it will be much of a factor with the Tony nominations. The consensus seems to be that Fun Home, Something Rotten and The Visit will be the front runners for Best Musical. That leaves Finding Neverland, Honeymoon in Vegas, The Last Ship, Dr. Zhivago and An American In Paris competing for the final spot. The leading actor category is even more competitive, because it includes the revivals. It's too early to predict with any level of certainty because much of the strongest competition has not opened yet. However, it is not too early to say that it will be very, very competitive. Again, it's not Weinstein that could get FN shut out. It's the competition.

Princeton Returns
#168FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 11:12am

I think to an extent the Weinstein hate is valid. It was very clear that this show has been created as a commercial venture and it almost feels like a tick box exercise of how to do a musical, and not an organic process

It's telling that Gary Barlow has written this show,a new musical called the girls (based on calender girls), take that album, solo album and a tour in the same time most composers write one show

Mattbrain
#169FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 11:18am

"I can't see the show or Matthew not being nominated. I don't understand how Tony voters would rule out a show because they don't like Harvey Weinstein. So what? You don't have to have dinner with him. He's a successful producer and possibly an a$$, but that's a problem that shouldn't influence the opinion on a show or a cast. The cast is building something beautiful on stage every night, and that shouldn't be affected by personal opinions."

And there are people who don't care what the heck is going on backstage, they just wanna see a show.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Back Row
#170FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:06pm

"I think to an extent the Weinstein hate is valid. It was very clear that this show has been created as a commercial venture and it almost feels like a tick box exercise of how to do a musical, and not an organic process "

This has been apparent from the beginning, but to be fair, it seems to be the way a lot of shows are put together these days. Weinstein apparently reasoned that tapping into the pop culture by using British boy band composers + SYTYCD choreographer + guy from Glee + Frasier was the recipe for a sure fire hit. And who knows? He may be right. He's not trying to create great art. He's trying to make a lot of money. It looks like the show is going to be a commercial success. Whether or not it is a critical success remains to be seen, but I would be shocked if this show did not stay open long enough to recoup. Harvey's gonna Harvey, and that is bound to piss some people off, but most of the time, that also means that Harvey's going to make money.

Wayman_Wong
#171FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:14pm

If there is such a thing as 'Weinstein hate,' it certainly hasn't stopped him or his movies from getting nominations or winning awards in the past.

More notably, 'Finding Neverland' sold out its first preview, and its first complete week of previews was sold out, too. It made the $1 million-dollar club with only 7 performances. So far, there's an audience eager to see this show.

Mattbrain
#172FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:35pm

And also did great business in Boston.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#173FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:43pm

I don't give a fig about Harvey and how crappy he apparently is. I care that if I'm plunking down a zillion bucks to see a show, that I am getting my money's worth. And if a producer being a bastard behind the scenes accomplishes that, then so be it.

Despite a few (very small) things I'd change about it, I enjoyed the 7th preview immensely. I was entertained and moved. Nothing wrong with that. And of the 4 brand new shows I saw this past weekend, it was the only one that I felt truly knew when to end it. No lingering. (I'm looking at you, Gigi, AAIP and It Shoulda Been You!)

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#174FINDING NEVERLAND Previews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:44pm

Of course this show was going to do well in the box office. Are you really that surprised? Anything with Peter Pan, Witches, or Disney shows, people have always seen.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Videos