pixeltracker

Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight- Page 7

Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#150re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 1:52pm

ko74612, I'm afraid I share Patti LuPone's "sense of entitlement."

I feel entitled to watch the show that I payed for without being distracted by other people talking, eating, shouting, texting, or talking on the phone.

I'll go further: I feel entitled to the same courtesy (or lack of discourtesy) while I'm at work in my office. If you're in the space where I'm doing my job, I don't expect to watch you eat, hear you shout, or listen to your private phone conversations.

If that makes me a diva, too, then I'll wear the label proudly. I think of it more as good manners and common sense.
Updated On: 7/17/08 at 01:52 PM

Eponine3
#151re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 2:00pm

I completely support Patti. I personally feel that while there are many ways that we benefited from having technology at our fingertips in the form of Cell phones and PDA's that we have also become very inconsiderate about when and how we use them. It infuriates me to see people sitting down with their family for dinner and then tapping away on their phones... or to see people trying to check out in a shopping line and they are gabbing away on their phone whiles the sales person is trying to check them out. Also just because someone calls you on your cell phone that does not mean that you have to drop everything and take the call that moment.. That is why we have voice mail on our phones. Leave a message and I will call you back when it is convenient for me to respond to you.
If you are spending the money to go out to see a show, especially in New York, than take that 2 and half hours of "me time" and shut off the phone and enjoy the entertainment that you paid for. If you are expecting a call that is so important that you really can not be out of contact for a couple hours than perhaps that is not the best night to go to the theater.

Boq101
#152re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 2:02pm

I've acted in a few shows in High School and did a one-act in a small 75 seat theatre this summer.

NOTHING is more irritating than being into your scene and hearing a phone go off. I ignore a LOUD ringing in that unbearably small theater as if nothing happened. I felt like an idiot. It fazed me like hell. I'd only like to hope that if I ever go professional things get better.

If anybody tries pulling that crap with me, I'd throw a fit, too.

Rose_Lee
#153re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 7:22pm

It is so incredibly rude and unfair. When I was in Carousel at NJ PAC, nobody would dare take out there phones. The people seeing our show knew to be respectful. Maybe it was a certain knowledge of and respect for the theater, and the relationship between audience and performer. At broadway shows, so many rude, uncultured people will behave so disrespectfully that it blows my mind!

ko74612 Profile Photo
ko74612
#154re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 8:54pm

Reginald Tresilian: A preformer on-stage deserves respect. You have no argument with me there. My argument is that Patti Lupone is unprofessional. She makes childish demands stating that she will not go back on-stage until the offensive audience member leaves the theater.

The fact is that Ms. Lupone is being paid to preform. It is her job, her responsibility. That she is allowing something as trivial as a young girl with a cell phone to interfere with her responsibilities is unprofessional.

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution?
Tick Tick BOOM

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#155re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 3:25am

Making demands and actually doing it are two different things. I don't think that Patti wouldn't get back on stage- she was just making a point to get her way. If it came down to it, I'm sure she would've continued the show if the girl left or not. Patti and the entire cast of "Gypsy" have earned the right to a respectful, mature, quiet, audience that pays attention to the rules of the theater.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

philcrosby
#156re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 8:52am

The minute someone whips out a cell phone and uses it during the show, they break the contract they made with the theater and they deserve what they get.

LuPone was not demanding respect for the artists as much as she was demanding that one audience member respect the rights of the other 1000+ also in attendance.

Reginald Tresilian
#157re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 9:53am

ko74612, I think we should just agree to disagree.

I personally might consider stopping the show and berating an audience member to be unprofessional (though I might not); asking house management to remove someone deliberately creating a disturbance--and I'm sorry, I simply don't buy the "I don't know how my phone works" line--is not.

But we all have our own standards of what behavior is unacceptable and what response is within reason. By my lights, Patti's response was appropriate.

But I can certainly understand your drawing the line elsewhere.

RT

P.S. Don't ever take a call when we're out to lunch together, unless you want to be dealing with the business end of a hissy fit.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#158re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 11:11am

I say kudos to Ms. LuPone. And it is very sad that a performer has to go this far because of a rude and inconsiderate audience member. Yes she is paid to perform but as stated, that person broke the contract. There is an announcement before the show. It annoys me in the audience when I see the lights from the cell phones/blackberries. I can only imagine how distracting it is for performers onstage. Plain and simple it is just downright rude and inconsiderate. And the really sad thing is that the people who do this see nothing wrong with it. Just my random thoughts.

Just give the world Love.

Reginald Tresilian
#159re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 11:25am

Well said, uncageg.

I also have to wonder: if this were any performer other than LuPone, would we be having this conversation?

If, oh, I don't know, Angela Lansbury has done the same thing, I bet there'd be fewer cries of "unprofessional." I bet we'd be hearing "Class act! You don't see standards and professionalism like that anymore."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#160re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 11:32am

Didn't Anika Noni Rose stop in the middle of a scene a month or so ago because of a cell phone?

And you know, it is sad that we even have to be having this conversation. But this is what we have become as Americans. (Not specifying anyone here!). We fell entitled even if we are being rude or breaking the rules. This, to me, should be a cut and dry thing. Because of how bad it has gotten, jam phones/blacberries/pda's, whatever in the theaters. If people don't like it, then stay home. I am tired of paying good money only to have to shh people or ask them to put ther phone away because it is distracting during a performance. Do we really need to be THAT connected?! I don't think so.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#161re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 12:23pm

One of my favorite things about theater is that you can escape into a show for a good 2-3 hours. There would be no point in that if I always had to check my phone every few minutes. I don't know why people do that. That thing should go OFF.

I remember reading about accounts where actors have shouted at audience members for talking and stuff. So I think it was good that Patti remained off-stage until she was ready.

I am disgusted with some of the behavior I've heard about in theaters. And even if they're not intentionally being rude, some people forget that the actors can see/hear them from the stage. I've witnessed the occasional talker, snorer, and cell phone opener, but luckily I've never be in an audience THAT bad.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#162re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:32pm

I'm with others who have commented that it's shame that this conversation is even relevant.

Why are cell phones even on in theatres? They should be turned off when/as/before one enters the theatre. Period. Why are you going to a show, PAYING to see a show, if what you want to do is sit there and text? A person can do that for free at the Starbucks across the street, and even enjoy a latte.

But if you go to see Gypsy, watch f-ing Gypsy, not your flippin' cell phone.

End of rant.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#163re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:42pm

The show should have patti record the Pre show.

"Hello this is Patii Lupone. If I see you texting I'll blast your f***ing head off."

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#164re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:49pm

I almost spit my lunch out from laughing so hard over that one! And then she should end the announcement by saying "Enjoy the show"!

Updated On: 7/18/08 at 01:49 PM

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#165re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 1:54pm

Yeah, they should totally change it to that!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

yukino
#166re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 3:24pm

gosh. i ADORE that woman. she rules.

kathy selden Profile Photo
kathy selden
#167re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/18/08 at 9:48pm

Last night ( Thurs) there was an audible gasp in the theater when the announcer stated "Ms Lupone has injured her foot" - yikes to be robbed of such a performance - but no the announcer continued "Ms Lupone will perform in Isotoners". There should be a running gag on the announcements "Ms Lupone has a migraine, she will perform tonight thanks to Excedrin PM" or something like that!!
She was great - knocked the pie pans into someone in the front row, but it was perfect how Patti and Boyd ad libbed through it.
Thanks for perfect Luponage on last night

Even a poor tailor is entitled to some happiness.

Videos