BrodyFosse123
#1775Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/7/20 at 10:32pm

This, amigo, is Erika Jayne:

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1776Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/10/20 at 5:38pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PganzzDG55E    The announcement of the winner of the search.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 1/10/20 at 05:38 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1777Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/10/20 at 5:52pm

After seeing the video, I would like to say that the judges made the right choice.  From the audition tape and to the performance in front of the panel, Emma Pittman shined and seemed to have all the dancing, singing and acting requirements.  (She has a previous connection with "Chicago" playing the role of Annie.)  The panel was very honest in their assessments of each finalist.   

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

inception Profile Photo
inception
#1778Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/11/20 at 11:47am

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, but Ontario's Stratford Festival is doing a new production of Chicago April - November 2020.
Here is what their website says:

"The Festival has secured the rights to the first major production of Kander and Ebb's Chicago outside of New York and London in 30 years! Chicago is a musical for our time. It's about celebrity culture, corruption, lawyers and cynicism. It's about the power of leveraging all your assets to do the wrong thing. And it's filled with incredible music!

Barry Weissler, who controls the rights to Chicago, is a huge fan of the Stratford Festival and because of his enormous faith in director-choreographer Donna Feore, he went out of his way to allow the Festival to do an entirely new production here in Canada.

The hit musical, which holds the record for longest running musical revival on Broadway, will be entirely reimagined by Feore, whose work with musicals on the Festival stage has transformed classics and transfixed audiences. Under her creative guidance, this magnificent production will be created especially for the Festival's thrust stage and unlike any version of the show you may have seen before."

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1779Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/20/20 at 11:30am

http://www.playbill.com/article/denis-jones-on-making-an-entirely-new-chicago?fbclid=IwAR1t5SIm9ayoB_yUY-HFqUbRyjV7y2n4GPASQKwGosYqxil4eoTM5WwdWXQ   Interesting.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1780Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/16/20 at 4:37pm

Seven Questions with Ryan Silverman ( current Billy Flynn at the Ambassador Theatre) https://www.broadwaybox.com/daily-scoop/seven-questions-with-chicago-star-ryan-silverman/?fbclid=IwAR1ZzuPHAGtCa9jBYWT5jRpkHdKZqSnssPS986xGfnbRqaZGVOAnPlHjzm4

Updated On: 2/16/20 at 04:37 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1781Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 10:18am

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1782Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 1:32pm

It is interesting that there is no mention of this non-Equity tour on the main Chicago website.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1783Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 1:50pm

I'm curious why it's taking so long for the producers to reveal Emma Pittman's start date.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll see her on Sun. June 7th.   

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1784Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 3:37pm

This playbill article is listing the Chicago Tour through Oct. 2020 S
as equity...

http://www.playbill.com/article/current-and-upcoming-national-tours

Updated On: 2/17/20 at 03:37 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1785Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 3:50pm

Luminaire2 said: "This playbill article is listing the Chicago Tour through Oct. 2020 S
as equity...

"

I know three people on that tour and they're all non-equity. 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1786Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 4:52pm

I know.  I saw that article.  It's false advertising.  It is most certainly a non-Equity tour being disguied as an AEA production, via Playbill.  Not cool.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1787Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 5:39pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I know. I saw that article. It's false advertising. It is most certainly a non-Equity tour being disguied as an AEA production, via Playbill. Not cool."

It's a replica copy and nothing's scaled back. NETWORKS is producing it, hence why it's not on the Broadway show's website. It is sad that it's not on Networks' website nor do they have a website of its own and the tour starts in two weeks.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1788Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 6:40pm

ACL2006 said: "Luminaire2 said: "This playbill article is listing the Chicago Tour through Oct. 2020 S
as equity...

"

I know three people on that tour and they're all non-equity.

"

Someone should get playbill to correct this. 

Updated On: 2/17/20 at 06:40 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1789Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/20 at 9:26pm

Is it fairly common for a touring show to  be advertised as an Equity production, when it is clearly not?  The information provided on Playbill is not correct.  A veteran tour cast member mentioned on social media that this new production takes away jobs from experienced tour cast members who know the roles inside and out.  As for me, I'm looking forward to the next (official) Equity production.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1790Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/21/20 at 7:44pm

This is a clip of Erika Jayne and her "boys" in a clip on a talk show.  I found myself staring at the guy with the open vest, Gary Cooper (who is one of the two Billy Flynn understudies).  He looks dreamy-ish.  https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198479/watch-chicago-star-erika-jaynes-jazzy-performance-of-roxie/?fbclid=IwAR3-PA8q0QM6xl1Q-UPl0pD-cMDTrvg5CnTEKOcflmtU4Xy48Pu5NaeDG5I

Updated On: 2/22/20 at 07:44 PM

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#1791Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/20 at 3:08am

That clip was painful.  

... Especially the badly-laid lace front wig.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1792Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 10:49am

The non-equity tour has its site up with dates & cast listings.

Chicago on Tour

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1793Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 2:31pm

Well, most of the tour stops are not usual stops along the Cellblock Tour.  There are three dates in Alberta, one stop in Palm Springs and Boston.  Even if this non equity tour had included a Texas stop, I just couldn't.  

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1794Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 4:09pm

ACL2006 said: "The non-equity tour has its site up with dates & cast listings.

Chicago on Tour
"

I'm so confused...

They are going to Calgary, which is not part of the Broadway Across Canada Calgary season anywhere, for 2 shows very Non-Equity style. 

Then it comes to Vancouver in September as part of the BAC Vancouver season, for a full week. 

Are these the same shows?! I have never seen this before. 

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#1795Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 5:57pm

Does anyone know how easy it has been to get SRO as of late? Is this one of those theaters that is strict on it being 100% sold out?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1796Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 6:07pm

bekk99 said: "Does anyone know how easy it has been to get SRO as of late? Is this one of those theaters that is strict on it being 100% sold out?"

They only sell SRO when the show is close to sold-out. Rush tickets are typically easy to get though. I think they were $42 back in September. 

KMKJ
#1797Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 10:35pm

Luminaire2 said: "I'm so confused...

They are going to Calgary, which is not part of the Broadway Across Canada Calgary season anywhere, for 2 shows very Non-Equity style.

Then it comes to Vancouver in September as part of the BAC Vancouver season, for a full week.

"

I'm just guessing that come September, this Non-Eq tour will be complete and the Cell Block (Equity) tour will be back on the road (and the production filling the BAC Vancouver series.)

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1798Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 11:15pm

KMKJ said: "Luminaire2 said:"I'm so confused...

"

I'm just guessing that come September, this Non-Eq tour will be completeand the Cell Block (Equity) tour will be back on the road (and the production filling the BAC Vancouver series.)

"

That would be amazing. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1799Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 11:17pm

I'm guessing that after AFW finishes her most recent long run, we should expect either Terra C or Lana Gordon.  One time, I asked Dylis Croman if she'd be interested in the role of Velma Kelly.  She mentioned she'd love the opportunity.  I'm acquainted with some of the Cellblock tour veterans on social media.  

Videos