pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 76

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Thparkaly
#1875Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 1:53pm

I'm just happy that someone who has broadway/theatre experience is in the role.

jimmycurry01
#1876Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 1:54pm

I was all for giving Sophia Grace the benefit of the doubt, but I am glad they ended up going the safer route.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1877Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 1:58pm

I just watched this clip again of Lilla. She really does have star quality, no question. I'm very happy for her, and I think she's a great choice.

LINK

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1878Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 2:02pm

Here's a video clip of "The Slipper and the Rose" from 1977, you can see Annette Crosbie as the fairy godmother. She was delightful. Should make a great Granny for Little Red.

LINK

Updated On: 9/16/13 at 02:02 PM

jimmycurry01
#1879Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 2:35pm

Who is Richard Glover. It seems he will be playing the steward.

http://collider.com/into-the-woods-movie-filming-johnny-depp/

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1880Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 2:40pm

Here's a photo of him:

He was in "Sightseers," and he has a decent list of British credits.

IMDb.com - Richard Glover

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#1881Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 2:42pm

Crosbie as Catherine of Aragon in The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

her Majesty Updated On: 9/16/13 at 02:42 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1882Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 2:49pm

Annette Crosbie is a treasure. I'm really glad she'll be in this!

Into the Woods Movie Cast

IMDb.com - Annette Crosbie

Updated On: 9/16/13 at 02:49 PM

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1883Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:03pm

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise The Lord!! I'm very excited for Lilla.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1884Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:18pm

One of the things I love about Frances de la Tour is that she can be very imposing and almost frightening, and at the same time, completely sympathetic.

She's such a great choice for the Giant's Wife.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#1885Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:22pm

I was willing to give Sophia Grace a chance. Now I'm glad I don't have to.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1886Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:25pm

So nobody from the OBC will be in this. That kinda sorta sucks big time.

jimmycurry01
#1887Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:30pm

I don't really think it sucks. It's cool for us when we get cameos like that, but I'm ok with leaving the OBC out of it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1888Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:35pm

I thought it was a nice touch in Chicago and Dreamgirls.

But Mama Mia!, Hairspray, Nine, Sweeney Todd, etc., didn't have them.

EDIT: Beyond Bernadette and Joanna, it wouldn't really make sense to movie audiences. At least those two have film credits. Maybe they tried, and they both said no.

Updated On: 9/16/13 at 03:35 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1889Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 3:57pm

Entertainment Weekly says that Sophia Grace's publicist confirmed to them she was playing Little Red. This sounds to me like Rob Marshall & Co. had a change of heart during the rehearsal process and recast the part.

Entertainment Weekly link

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1890Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 4:21pm

As far as Lilla's weight ... yes, in the screenplay I read, it describes Little Red as "a small, plump, little girl," but that doesn't mean it's the Bible.

She needs to eat like a pig in the opening scenes, and maybe they will go so far as to pad Lilla's costume a bit. She has a round face, and hopefully it's good enough for the part.

I have always thought a skinny Little Red made no sense based on the writing.

I also think that her "appetite" should be every bit as voracious as the Wolf's "appetite," which helps them play off each other.

"It was a full day of eating for both." (Actually, that line doesn't even survive, since there's no narrator.)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1891Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 4:40pm

Yeah, I'm disappointed about her weight, and I guess Sophia Grace brought that to the role (at least something about casting her had to make sense). Oh well, once again we see the skinny, pretty girl get the part, but that's Hollywood. I am glad someone talented like Lilla got cast though, it's clear Marshall didn't like what he saw during rehearsals; to be fair, it must be a daunting task for these kids to be in the same rehearsal room as Johnny Depp or Meryl Streep, no matter how well they did during the audition process, it must be almost impossible for a child to handle such big roles. I do feel bad for Grace, it must be so difficult to be replaced like this, but again, that's show business as they say.
Besty, Frances de la Tour is perfection as the Giant's Wife, as you said, she'll be imposing, but she'll make the more interesting moments where she confronts Jack and the other characters about how he took advantage of her really stand out. I don't mind that they didn't include anyone from the Broadway cast, it's not like classics like WEST SIDE STORY or SOUND OF MUSIC bothered to do that (of course, many like CABARET, MY FAIR LADY and THE KING & I did).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1892Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 5:01pm

Danielle Ferland wasn't that fat, she just had layers of costume.

And no one actually refers to her size, but rather her appetite.

Btw, Sightseers is a great movie. I don't know if it's available in Region 1 format but it's worth seeking out.

....but the world goes 'round

jimmycurry01
#1893Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 5:42pm

The line "Grandmother first, then Miss Plump" seems to refer to her size, but I am not in the camp that thinks she needs to be plump. It doesn't matter to me.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1894Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 5:44pm

Little Red

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#1895Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 6:04pm

kudos to lilla crawford!

she's going to make a great "Little Red".

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1896Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 6:33pm

I have to say the only thing that makes me more than a bit uncomfortable is that a 10-year-old has to go through the notion of being cast in a huge movie musical from Disney, then somewhere into the rehearsal process, she finds out that she is being replaced.

Yes, "that's show biz."

And that's life. But it's an extremely hard lesson to learn at such a tender age.

That little girl is growing up fast. I'm sure her "trust level" is very low as a result. About everything.

Yes, she "knows things now, many valuable things ..."

EDIT: I'm pretty sure in guessing that many of you out there remember that there's an enormous difference between 10 and 12 years of age. I was assuming that, because of the audition process, Sophia Grace had proven wise beyond her years. That she was (at least) able to "act" that she "knew things now" and convince everyone involved. Apparently, that is not the case.

And ray, I agree with your examples ... but all of those movies were made within a decade of the original Broadway production, some within just a few years, and the actors who went from the Broadway show to the film adaptation were playing the same roles. It's different than an "aged" cameo ... but it's also different in that "Into the Woods" (and Chicago, too) were made over two decades after their original runs.

Updated On: 9/16/13 at 06:33 PM

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#1897Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 7:01pm

I love Annette Crosbie! I didn't know the name but when I went to that link of her as Catherine of Aragon, I recognized her. I know her from Ordeal by Innocence with Dunaway and Donald Sutherland. She was fantastic as the housekeeper. And Frances de la Tour had a great scene with Faye in Ellis Island. I am loving these new additions to the cast!!

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#1898Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/13 at 10:22pm

If Lilla is closer to puberty than Sophia Grace was, that's even better! Then we we can have the sexual awakening subtext again!

You know something I also hope they don't do in this is what they did in some of the revivals, and that was Jack and the Baker climbing Rapunzel's tower to kill the Giantess. Because Rapunzel's tower was supposed to be so tall you could only get to the top by climbing Rapunzel's hair. If you could climb up it easily, it would defeat the plot point of the Prince and Rapunzel not being able to leave the tower together.

Updated On: 9/16/13 at 10:22 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1899Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/17/13 at 7:07am

So here is the full, confirmed cast, in the credits order from the Disney press release:

The Witch ... Meryl Streep
The Baker's Wife ... Emily Blunt
The Baker ... James Corden
Cinderella ... Anna Kendrick
Cinderella's Prince ... Chris Pine
The Wolf ... Johnny Depp
Little Red Riding Hood ... Lilla Crawford
Jack ... Daniel Huttlestone
Jack's Mother ... Tracy Ullman
Cinderella's Stepmother ... Christine Baranski
Rapunzel ... McKenzie Mauzy
Rapunzel's Prince ... Billy Magnussen