pixeltracker

Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET on Broadway, Fall 2024- Page 8

Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET on Broadway, Fall 2024

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#175Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 4:27pm

I'm 100% sure I'm missing something, in part because I had never heard Kit Connor until this production was announced, but how does a show have this successful of a presale for a play starring a 20-year-old and a 23-year-old with ticket prices this high? 

How many teenagers and people in their early 20s can afford (at this point) tickets that cost at least $199?  

I get a bunch of tickets are being held back, and there will be cheaper ways to get in, but this is still kind of surprising. 

hearthemsing22
#176Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 5:07pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "I'm 100% sure I'm missing something, in part because I had never heard Kit Connor until this production was announced, but how does a show have this successful of a presale for a play starring a 20-year-old and a 23-year-old with ticket prices this high?

How many teenagers and people in their early 20s can afford (at this point) tickets that cost at least $199?

I get a bunch of tickets are being held back, and there will be cheaper ways to get in, but this is still kind of surprising.
"

Debt. Birthday gifts. Asking family. 

chrishuyen
#177Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 5:22pm

I think teenager specific-oriented shows may not do as well at the box office (I'm thinking Be More Chill), but this is a classic play that has just been aimed at teenagers.  So parents might feel more inclined to go because it's a famous work of theater and has more prestige, and could turn it into more of a family trip situation.  Also Rachel Zegler's Broadway debut has seemed inevitable and long-awaited (even if it's only been a few years) ever since she came onto the scene, and she's certainly made a splash with more people than just the Gen Z/Alpha demographics, and Heartstopper was also a highly acclaimed show, which translated to extremely enthusiastic fans for Sweeney Todd when Joe Locke was in the show as well.  I don't know that it would be enough for the run to recoup its cost at this point, but it's enough to clog up the Telecharge waiting room for hours.

ElizaSchuyler
#178Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 6:23pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "I'm 100% sure I'm missing something, in part because I had never heard Kit Connor until this production was announced, but how does a show have this successful of a presale for a play starring a 20-year-old and a 23-year-old with ticket prices this high?

"

I mentioned this yesterday (or the day before?), but I looked Kit Connor up after the casting for this was announced. He is, as has been mentioned, very popular with Gen Z. He has 6 million followers on Instagram. But also has some appeal among the broader LGBTQ+ community. He came out as bisexual in a pretty sad way when he was 18 because he was bullied and accused of queerbaiting. His coming out tweet amassed a million likes and got a lot of coverage in the media. He also won an Emmy, deservedly so if this was him at 19. I see the appeal.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#179Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 6:25pm

I’d add that Joe Locke was a successful draw in ST, but Kit Connor is the one more of them love, so more will run out to see him. With these two in the cast and Jack Antonoff as music director, I’d be shocked if they didn’t sing, if even for a moment.

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#180Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 7:04pm

DramaTeach said: "I’d add that Joe Locke was a successful draw in ST, but Kit Connor is the one more of them love, so more will run out to see him. With these two in the cast and Jack Antonoff as music director, I’d be shocked if they didn’t sing, if even for a moment."

Zegler doesn't always sing in everything. Seen Shazam 2?

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#181Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 7:24pm

FLarnhill said: "DramaTeach said: "I’d add that Joe Locke was a successful draw in ST, but Kit Connor is the one more of them love, so more will run out to see him. With these two in the cast and Jack Antonoff as music director, I’d be shocked if they didn’t sing, if even for a moment."

Zegler doesn't always sing in everything. Seen Shazam 2?
"

Of course she doesn’t sing all the time (she’d be boxing herself in), but with the focus this production seems to be putting on music, it’s my prediction. I’m not talking about them belting out a duet. I’m saying it could even be him or her humming a piece of song. Just my guess.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#182Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 8:46pm

It seems really unlikely to me that they’d get Antonoff onboard and give him such prominent billing just for writing incidental scoring. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CJRochester
#183Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 11:07pm

People in that same age group have been paying those prices and higher for Taylor Swift tickets. I don't get it either. 

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#184Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 11:48pm

Kad said: "It seems really unlikely to me that they’d get Antonoffonboard and give him such prominent billing just for writing incidental scoring."

I generally like Antonoff's music, but if the idea was the tell a Romeo & Juliet story with singing and have it star Rachel Zegler, there just might be source material checking those boxes without having to bring on a new composer.    

Having your work compared to Bernstein and Sondheim seems like a no-win proposition.

chrishuyen
#185Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/23/24 at 11:56pm

I heard a rumor that Rachel Zegler will be singing some part of the Shakespeare text to Antonoff's music. The fact that Sonya Tayeh is involved also makes me think this will be more musically integrated than a usual play (though probably still not as much to consider it a musical)

hearthemsing22
#186Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/24/24 at 8:24am

CJRochester said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "I'm 100% sure I'm missing something, in part because I had never heard Kit Connor until this production was announced, but how does a show have this successful of a presale for a play starring a 20-year-old and a 23-year-old with ticket prices this high?

"

People in that same age group have been paying those prices and higher for Taylor Swift tickets.I don't get it either.

"

Among maybe 16+. now that they've sort of grown up with social media, it feels like they're in a contest. Who can get shoutouts from their favorite actors, singers, performers in general. It's maybe 30% appreciation. 70% wanting content to prove "look how they know who I am!" 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#187Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/25/24 at 12:11am

I am older than 55 and Kit Conner would get me in that theater. I also wanted to see Locke in Sweeney (Even though I wasn't crazy about the production itself). I, and a lot of people my age (gay, straight, male and female) are big Heartstopper fans. I also love that song that they are using for the R&J promo. Went right on a playlist.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/25/24 at 12:11 AM

Voter
#188Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
Posted: 5/25/24 at 7:27pm

Stopped by the box office today. The attendant said there will be definitely tickets less than $100 at some point and the production was discussing rush, 30under30 and lotttery policies

incomesabby
#189Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET on Br
Posted: 5/25/24 at 8:48pm

Voter said: "Stopped by the box office today. The attendant said there will be definitely tickets less than $100 at some point and the production was discussing rush, 30under30 and lotttery policies"

Are you able to buy R+J tickets at the Circle in the Square box office already?

Penna2
#190Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET on Br
Posted: 5/25/24 at 9:45pm

South Fl Marc said: "I really don't care to see Rachel Zegler in anything."

She'll probably argue about Juliet dying at the end because what young girl would die over a man.

Voter
#191Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET on Br
Posted: 5/26/24 at 7:55am

incomesabby said: "Voter said: "Stopped by the box office today. The attendant said there will be definitely tickets less than $100 at some point and the production was discussing rush, 30under30 and lotttery policies"

Are you able to buy R+J tickets at the Circle in the Square box office already?
"

Yes you can. Tickets for Romeo+Juliet are available for purchase at CITS box office already until June 26. Box office will reopen on or about August 26

incomesabby
#192Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:49am

Some new seats have been added to the map for all shows including first preview ($350-459 range). At least I think they're new because they're all similar spots from date to date. There's also more interesting disclaimers like "not on aisle" and the previous "no extra legroom" — I wonder what this says about the staging.

Videos