pixeltracker

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Reviews- Page 8

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Reviews

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#175THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/23/24 at 2:07pm

It's really impossible to know....but yes, it could still be closed by the end of the month.   The only rules are about how much notice the cast/crew gets....not how much the public gets.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Zeppie2022
#176THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/23/24 at 2:13pm

"Quick question, if they did post a closing date, how soon would the actual date of closing be? I am going to be in New York in a few weeks and was thinking of seeing it on Wednesday June 5. Do you think they would close it that quickly?"

As much as I enjoyed the show, the dollar numbers don't lie and they are not good. If I had to bet money I think you would be able to see it on June 5th but not too much later. Sadly, I don't think it will be running in July. I wish I was wrong.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#177THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/23/24 at 2:20pm

The cast won't get notified more than minutes before the public is notified (otherwise word will spread like wildfire).

They'll give a minimum notice of 1 week's worth of performances, so if they wanted to close this coming Sunday, for example, they would have had to announce on Tuesday evening.

Producers often like to give at least 1.5-3 weeks notice because it can help sales in the final weeks, but sometimes that decision is not in their hands or financial plans fall through –– and for a show selling this badly I doubt they'd get a sales boost that would make a meaningful difference.

If you reach next Wednesday and there's no announcement, safe to say you're good to buy for the 5th. But crazy things happen sometimes so don't hold us accountable in a court of law :0) And of course, if you do buy and the performance is canceled or show closes, you'll be refunded within a few days.

Updated On: 5/23/24 at 02:20 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#178THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/27/24 at 12:20pm

I have friends - fellow boomers - "baffled" by this show not catching on. And yet, the target audience has likely experienced an overload of juke shows, and Lewis's body of work doesn't immediately conjure enough nostalgia or resonate as reason enough to fork over Broadway prices. It needed a box office star, and Cott simply isn't that guy, no matter how respected his work (and I certainly thought he was persuasive, both acting and singing, in Bandstand). I remember when Blood Brothers replaced the superb Brits with Petula Clark and the Cassidy brothers; it became a new hit. Didn't this piece need borderline stunt casting of that sort? Otherwise it's a Branson show in a crowded season, no matter how witty and well done. And the reviews were quite enthusiastic. It simply lacks the kind of profile needed to make traction.   

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#179THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/27/24 at 12:43pm

oh-bwayhereicome said: "Has anyonewho’s gone recently know if they are selling windowcards yet? I went early in April and they said they were still waiting to get them"

The update I got from the merch lady over the weekend is that they should arrive sometime this week, but it’s been pushed back a bunch of times from earlier because of “design and billing issues”.

It will be on the BroadwayStore website the same time it goes on sale at the theatre.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Sammy232
#180THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/27/24 at 2:35pm

Auggie27 said: "I have friends - fellow boomers - "baffled" by this show not catching on. And yet, the target audience has likely experiencedan overload of juke shows, and Lewis's body of work doesn't immediately conjure enough nostalgiaor resonate as reason enough to fork over Broadway prices. It needed a box office star, and Cott simply isn't that guy, no matter how respected his work (and I certainly thought he was persuasive, both acting and singing, in Bandstand). I remember when Blood Brothers replaced the superb Brits with Petula Clark and the Cassidy brothers; it became a new hit. Didn't this piece need borderline stunt casting of that sort? Otherwise it's a Branson show in a crowded season, no matter how witty and well done. And the reviews were quite enthusiastic. It simply lacks the kind of profile needed to make traction."

If you're talking about appeal for Huey Lewis' music, then you'd be looking at Gen X (of which I am a part) boomers would be my parents, and I'm sure they might recognize a song or 2 if it were on the radio this probably isn't the target. In terms of Huey Lewis' popularity, while he did have a number of hits, it's in a very limited timeframe in the early 80s, and not music that has significant nostalgia appeal to a wide audience.

Zeppie2022
#181THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/28/24 at 9:36am

"If you're talking about appeal for Huey Lewis' music, then you'd be looking at Gen X (of which I am a part) boomers would be my parents, and I'm sure they might recognize a song or 2 if it were on the radio this probably isn't the target. In terms of Huey Lewis' popularity, while he did have a number of hits, it's in a very limited timeframe in the early 80s, and not music that has significant nostalgia appeal to a wide audience."

Excellent points. While Huey Lewis had hits in the early 80's and his videos were popular on MTV at the time, He was never huge star like Cher or Neil Diamond for example. They can draw audiences willing to pay big bucks to hear their music in a show. I just thought with the pretty good across the board reviews and good word of mouth (at least on this board) it would have done better. As someone who has seen the show, it is really good and lots of fun.

Zeppie2022
#182THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/28/24 at 9:42am

"It needed a box office star, and Cott simply isn't that guy, no matter how respected his work (and I certainly thought he was persuasive, both acting and singing, in Bandstand)"

I thought his arms made him a box office star. Sorry I  could not resist making that joke after some on this board were giving them a Tony nomination - ha ha. I thought he was great in "Bandstand" also, should have received Tony nomination in that role IMO. He just can't seem to catch a break with shows after "Newsies". Just curious, what box office star would you have suggested to play that role?

batchels
#183THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/31/24 at 1:08pm

Are there any seating recommendations between the right and left front orchestra?

hearthemsing22
#184THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/31/24 at 1:21pm

batchels said: "Are there any seating recommendations between the right and left front orchestra?"

There's a moment during the second act where there's a bit of audience participation if you're in the first three rows of the center orchestra. I would say maybe row C, third row, right hand aisle seat. It's a fun silly moment, if that interests you at all. Otherwise, there's really no bad seat on either side 

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 01:21 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#185THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 5/31/24 at 11:19pm

Not to overthink the target gen, but don't write off boomer as "parents" of the H. Lewis crowd. When the show's title song premiered in 1983 I had just turned 31. MTV was new, and we were not exactly old farts watching Lawrence Welk. I knew the entire HL songbook. Not everything that conjures nostalgia is from the audience's teen years. We mistakenly presume that high school ends an investment in top 40. Not true, and when MTV began, it was decidedly pitched to all of us, and yes, boomers watched as obsessively (and made VHS tapes of the videos!). 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

stagepotato
#186THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/2/24 at 9:32am

I was born in 1992, did not grow up listening to Huey Lewis music, and I absolutely loved The Heart of Rock and Roll. I’ve gone twice already and going again Wednesday. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#187THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/2/24 at 7:20pm

Got tix to the gun show again today and loved it just as much as always. Confirmed afterwards, a cast recording IS coming. 

stagepotato
#188THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/2/24 at 8:04pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Got tix to the gun show again today and loved it just as much as always. Confirmed afterwards, a cast recording IS coming."

Cast recording was done in March. Just waiting for a release date. 

Jordan Catalano
#189THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/2/24 at 8:06pm

Oh nice! I don’t remember hearing about that! Hopefully coming soon!

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#190THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 9:44am

Thinking about making this a full-family show if it's still open when we're there at the end of the month. My daughters are 8 and 11, and both love musicals. Don't care about some sex jokes (which often go over their heads) or profanity. Both of them loved & Juliet, and thought this might be in the same wheelhouse..... anyone have thoughts?

hearthemsing22
#191THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 9:56am

dwwst12 said: "Thinking about making this a full-family show if it's still open when we're there at the end of the month. My daughters are 8 and 11, and both love musicals. Don't care about some sex jokes (which often go over their heads) or profanity. Both of them loved & Juliet, and thought this might be in the same wheelhouse..... anyone have thoughts?

"

If they liked &Juliet, I would definitely recommend this show. No sex jokes- maybe one or two?- but otherwise it's so much fun. I'd recommend it! 

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#192THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:06am

Thanks! I'm strongly leaning this way.

We have tix to Suffs, Wicked, and then Merrily (just for the adults). I just want some fun this trip, and can't bring myself to be excited about Hell's Kitchen, Illinoise or Outsiders. Maybe if one of them nabs Best Musical....

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#193THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:07am

I do wonder how much closing notice they'll give! But I might as well buy ahead to help their advance, and then would just get a refund anyway.

hearthemsing22
#194THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:24am

dwwst12 said: "I do wonder how much closing notice they'll give! But I might as well buy ahead to help their advance, and then would just get a refund anyway."

I say go for it! And yes, if they do close, you will definitely receive a refund 

stagepotato
#195THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:40am

dwwst12 said: "Thinking about making this a full-family show if it's still open when we're there at the end of the month. My daughters are 8 and 11, and both love musicals. Don't care about some sex jokes (which often go over their heads) or profanity. Both of them loved & Juliet, and thought this might be in the same wheelhouse..... anyone have thoughts?

Yes! Very family friendly! There’s one “other team” joke but it’s so quick they might not even pick it up. It’s a fun time. 
"

Jordan Catalano
#196THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:54am

You’re saying that really quick “other team” joke isn’t family friendly? 

stagepotato
#197THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 11:03am

Jordan Catalano said: "You’re saying that really quick “other team” joke isn’t family friendly?"

Nope. I don’t know how you even got that from my post. 
I said - show is really family. And there’s one “other team” that might be missed. No where do I said the “other team” joke isn’t family friendly. 

hearthemsing22
#198THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 11:09am

I would advise re-reading the post again. They say the joke is so quick it might be missed. 

Jordan Catalano
#199THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
Posted: 6/6/24 at 11:15am

Wasnt asking rudely or implying anything, was just how I read the post and asked about it. Nothing more and nothing less. 

Videos