Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread- Page 83

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#2051Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 1:55pm

So where will this be available to order.?

Not on Amazon...yet.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

BrodyFosse123
Theatre Fan3
#2053Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 2:05pm

denali.fire said: "So where will this be available to order.?

Not on Amazon...yet.
"

Found it on Amazon ... here's the link...

West Side Story (Feature)

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2054Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 2:07pm

denali.fire said: "So where will this be available to order.?

Not on Amazon...yet.
"

https://www.amazon.com/West-Side-Story-Feature-UHD/dp/B09SLYQG46/ref=tmm_frk_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

DVD and regular Blu-ray can also be accessed from this page.

denali.fire
#2055Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 7:39pm

Brody, Taffy, and Theater Fan,

Thank you for the link.  I ordered it just now. 

I did go back and try to find it via amazon and and still could not find it.  I tried a few ways to search for it but to no avail.  So again thanks for your links.

BTW, if you have a link to buy a Br0adwy Newsies Id appreciate it but I believe you can only watch it via Amazon Prime rent or buy.

denali.fire
#2057Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/23/22 at 5:11pm

Thank you Brody.  Never ordered from this company (or heard of it.)  Im a bit hesitant but I trust your recommendation.

I guess I have to wait for them to send me a form for payment.  They have confirmed the order.

My first show was Funny Girl with Streisand.  Obviously not in the prime of life anymore and not as savvy as folks of today.  Thanks again.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2058Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/23/22 at 6:20pm

Bonus Features included on the upcoming 4K UHD and Blu Ray editions of the film:

The Stories of West Side Story

Opening – Director Steven Spielberg begins the journey of one of his career goals – to direct his own cinematic version of the iconic musical. Doing so means he will embrace enormous challenges.

Prologue – From the iconic finger snaps to the complex choreography, we are introduced to the film’s opening scene and explore its setting. We begin to see Spielberg’s vision take shape.

Sharks & Jets – Meet the actors who play the Sharks and the Jets. Go behind the scenes of “La Borinqueña,” the song of the Puerto Rican Revolution, which was added into this vision of the story. Discover the deeper meaning of “Jet Song.”

Dance At The Gym – Mambo your way through “The Dance At The Gym” and Justin Peck’s choreography, as it leads to the pivotal moment when Tony and Maria meet for the first time.

The Romance – Explore the budding romance of Tony and Maria with the songs “Maria” and “Tonight” as Rachel Zegler (Maria) and Ansel Elgort (Tony) talk about the casting process, and what led them to this career-defining film.

America – During a sweltering New York heat wave, the cast and crew take the production to the streets for one of the biggest dance numbers in the film, “America,” featuring Ariana DeBose, who plays Anita.

Gee, Officer Krupke – Spielberg and the Jets make “Gee, Officer Krupke” their own through a new setting, vocal direction and choreography, while they explore the meaning of Stephen Sondheim’s lyrics. Get to know Iris Menas (Anybodys) and the significance of their role.

Cool – During the first week of production, Spielberg and the cast nervously jump into filming on the elaborate and challenging set of the musical number “Cool.”

From Quintet to The Rumble – Spielberg and his team navigate the intertwining scenes of “The Quintet” and “The Rumble.” Once there, they take a scene that is traditionally stylishly choreographed, and instead bring a more visceral authenticity to the fight between the two gangs.

I Feel Pretty – Screenwriter Tony Kushner sheds new light on “I Feel Pretty.” We see how, in Spielberg’s film, the beloved song by lyricist Stephen Sondheim is given new vision, as it is set and performed within Gimbel’s department store.

Somewhere – Hollywood Legend Rita Moreno, who won acclaim for playing Anita in the 1961 film, returns as Valentina, a shopkeeper’s widow, as well as an executive producer. She brings extraordinary experience and emotion to the film and sings the song “Somewhere.”

Finale – In a moving testament to the talented cast and crew of WEST SIDE STORY, Spielberg reluctantly wraps “one of the best filmmaking experiences” of his career.

Tribute – The late Stephen Sondheim reflects on his career and experience making WEST SIDE STORY in this dedication to the esteemed lyricist.
The Songs

Go directly to your favorite musical numbers from WEST SIDE STORY.

Prologue
La Borinqueña
Jet Song
Something’s Coming
The Dance At The Gym
Maria
Balcony Scene (Tonight)
America
Gee, Officer Krupke
One Hand, One Heart
Cool
Tonight (Quintet)
The Rumble
I Feel Pretty
Somewhere
A Boy Like That/I Have A Love

The audio on the 4K UHD Disc will be in Dolby Atmos

The audio on the Blu Ray will be in English 7.1 DTS-HDMA

Digital codes are included as well.

There are currently 4 editions (that I know of) that will be released:

Blu Ray, 4K UHD/Blu-Ray, Target Exclusive, Best Buy Exclusive [Steelbook]

The Target 'Art Edition' comes with an artistic cover packaged in what looks like a DigiBook and includes 2 limited edition foil etched prints:

Updated On: 2/23/22 at 06:20 PM

BrodyFosse123
#2059Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/23/22 at 6:38pm

Would have been nice to have a full feature audio commentary with the cast.  Spielberg never does these but he coulda had the cast do one as an archive record of them talking about the film as they’re watching it. 

CarlosAlberto
#2060Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/23/22 at 7:21pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Would have been nice to have a full feature audio commentary with the cast. Spielberg never does these but he coulda had the cast do one as an archive record of them talking about the film as they’re watching it."

Yeah, I know I would have loved to have a commentary track on this as well. 

Dollypop
#2061Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/23/22 at 8:12pm

I've listened to the soundtrack recording many times now and think it's stunning. I have to say, though, that NO recording has ever done justice to the "Quintet". It's something that has to be experienced live on stage to be really appreciated

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#2062Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 9:01am

Please explain what 4K means. I admit I'm a dolt when it comes to these matters. (My television is an old tube telly that belonged to my parents and we've never had a problem with it in over 40 years.)

CarlosAlberto
#2063Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 10:32am

Dollypop said: "Please explain what 4K means. I admit I'm a dolt when it comes to these matters. (My television is an old tube telly that belonged to my parents and we've never had a problem with it in over 40 years.)"

"4K" refers to horizontal resolutions of around 4,000 pixels. The "K" stands for "kilo" (thousand). As things stand, the majority of 4K displays come with 3840 x 2160 pixel (4K UHDTV) resolution, which is exactly four times the pixel count of full HD displays (1920 x 1080 pixels).

Films presented in 4K resolution boast Ultra High Definition picture with enhanced clarity and sharpness. To get the full benefits of this you would need an Ultra 4K High Definition televisión that will be able to display programming in this resolution. For films and other programming on 4K UHD discs you would also need a 4K UHD disc player. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#2064Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 1:15pm

Dollypop said: "I've listened to the soundtrack recording many times now and think it's stunning. I have to say, though, that NO recording has ever done justice to the "Quintet". It's something that has to be experienced live on stage to be really appreciated"

I basically agree with this, but I think the original 1961 film ending harmony still gives me the most chills. 

It's tricky cause the vocals are all singing that beautiful C chord while the big brassy accompaniment is doing that exciting "bum bum bum bum BADABUMMM" which clashes a little cause it moves around before ending on C, albeit beautifully so I think it's probably a little bit of a stumper for engineers on how best to mix the end. It sounds like on the new soundtrack they turned everybody down for the very end and raised the levels of the brass. 

What works the best about the original film and Spielberg's during this section is the quick walking we see of the people throughout. The stage show has everyone more often standing still and I actually like the energy of seeing all the people head to the rumble on film. 

Dollypop
#2065Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 1:21pm

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. As I've said, I haven't had an iota of trouble with my.current television (and it's a nice piece of furniture), but the screen is square and television transmissions are rectangular these days. That means the sides of the images are cut off. Most newscasts feature two anchors and all I'm seeing is a left shoulder and a right shoulder.   It's time to upgrade.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2066Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 1:55pm

Dollypop, I can't recommend a good TV highly enough! It's definitely time for an upgrade.

Depending on your budget range, it's possible to get a VERY good 43" TV for under $250...or pay even less for a smaller TV.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart-LED-50S435/dp/B08DHDS4T3/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=4k%2Btv&qid=1645728690&sr=8-5&th=1 

Updated On: 2/24/22 at 01:55 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#2067Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 4:18pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Dollypop said: "Please explain what 4K means. I admit I'm a dolt when it comes to these matters. (My television is an old tube telly that belonged to my parents and we've never had a problem with it in over 40 years.)"

"4K" refers to horizontal resolutions ofaround 4,000 pixels. The "K" stands for "kilo" (thousand). As things stand, the majority of 4K displays come with 3840 x 2160 pixel (4K UHDTV) resolution, which is exactly four times the pixel count of full HD displays (1920 x 1080 pixels).

Films presented in 4K resolution boast Ultra High Definition picture with enhanced clarity and sharpness. To get the full benefits of this you would need an Ultra 4K High Definition televisión that will be able to display programming in this resolution. For films and other programming on 4K UHD discs you would also need a 4K UHD disc player.
"

Will a 4K UHD Disc play on a regular Blu Ray?   I have not upgraded my player because I rarely buy any physical media anymore.  But this movie I am planning on buying. 

And Dollypop..  I do not know what your sound set up is.. but it is equally if not more important than your tv  ( In my opinion) 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 2/24/22 at 04:18 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2068Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 4:28pm

DAME said: "Will a 4K UHD Disc play on a regular Blu Ray? I have not upgraded my player because I rarely buy and physical media anymore. But this movie I am planning on buying."

No, you need a 4K player to play a 4K disc. (But a 4K player can also play everything below it, I believe –– such as normal Blurays, DVDs, CDs, etc. –– sort of like how a Blu player can also play DVDs, but a DVD player can't play Blurays).

If you don't watch much physical media, just hold onto the normal Bluray player. It'll still look great. I think only extreme cinephiles can see the difference between 4K and Bluray.

It's all rather confusing.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#2069Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 6:15pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "DAME said: "Will a 4K UHD Disc play on a regular Blu Ray? I have not upgraded my player because I rarely buy and physical media anymore. But this movie I am planning on buying."

No, you need a 4K player to play a 4K disc. (But a 4K player can also play everything below it, I believe –– such as normal Blurays, DVDs, CDs, etc. –– sort of like how a Blu player can also play DVDs, but a DVD player can't play Blurays).

If you don't watch much physical media, just hold onto the normal Bluray player. It'll still look great. I think only extreme cinephiles can see the difference between 4K and Bluray.

It's all rather confusing.
"

Thank you so much.  I appreciate your advice.   That is what I will do. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Dollypop
#2070Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/25/22 at 12:13pm

DAME said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Dollypop said: "Please explain what 4K means. I admit I'm a dolt when it comes to these matters. (My television is an old tube telly that belonged to my parents and we've never had a problem with it in over 40 years.)"

"4K" refers to horizontal resolutions ofaround 4,000 pixels. The "K" stands for "kilo" (thousand). As things stand, the majority of 4K displays come with 3840 x 2160 pixel (4K UHDTV) resolution, which is exactly four times the pixel count of full HD displays (1920 x 1080 pixels).

"

Will a 4K UHD Disc play on a regular Blu Ray? I have not upgraded my player because I rarely buy any physical media anymore. But this movie I am planning on buying.

And Dollypop.. I do not know what your sound set up is.. but it is equally if not more important than your tv ( In my opinion)
"

My sound system is excellent. I'm too much of a music lover for it not to be. I actually listen to music more than I watch television.

The television has very good stereophonic sound. There are times I've played CD's on the DVD player and the sound was impressive.

Globefan
#2071Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/25/22 at 8:09pm

Tony Kushner might be developing a ten part miniseries about Valentina's life 

BrodyFosse123
#2072Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/27/22 at 6:57pm

Just watched the entire The Stories of WEST SIDE STORY documentary that’s on the upcoming Blu-ray release and it is simply spectacular.  Tough not sharing spoilers but loved how each number was showcased in detail.  All together it runs 90 minutes and we are shown everything.  Loved seeing Ariana dancing without her Anita wig.  Do what you must to see this.  

Globefan
#2073Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/27/22 at 8:31pm

Ariana won the SAG Award

babyjunegem
#2074Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/27/22 at 8:59pm

IDEA: the cast should perform the Tonight Quintet at the Oscars. It's the one song that gives all of the leads a chance to shine.

Videos