pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 89

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2200Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/15/21 at 1:40pm

Just announced:

"Chicago will celebrate 25 years on Broadway tomorrow Tuesday, November 16th at 6:30PM with a very special performance.

Beginning at 5PM on the TKTS Red Steps in Times Square the Brooklyn United Marching Band will march to 49th Street playing Kander & Ebb music. The Ambassador Theatre will be lit in red with a star-studded red carpet. Chicago will receive a Mayoral Proclamation and will welcome appearances by original cast members and a tribute to Ann Reinking, plus other surprises throughout the night."

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2201Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/15/21 at 6:06pm

Really wish I could make tomorrow's big celebration. For anyone interested, there's plenty of seats still available.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Hamilfan2
#2202Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 1:24pm

Surprised at how many seats are still unsold.  It even popped up at TKTS.  I’ll be there tonight and very much looking forward to it.  Sounds like it will be pretty special, so hopefully that can fill the house!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2203Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 1:50pm

I wish I could make it tonight, I feel like there was no notice for the celebration, or even the addition of these Tuesday performances. Considering the reopening circumstances, a better option would've been to hold it during one of the weekends before or after the actual date. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2204Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 2:20pm

Yeah, very little notice on this celebration. Probably not enough time to even hand out comps to former cast members and crew.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2205Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 9:41pm

Instagram page is live for curtain call. 

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2206Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 9:43pm

Walter Bobbie is delivering a speech with the designers, some alumni, and some staff / producers also on stage with the cast.

Oh look, a bibu!

Hamilfan2
#2207Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 11:02pm

Despite the last minute notice, tonight was an EVENT and very special.  (I will also say right off the bat that I am terrible with spelling names, so apologies in advance if I  misspell any of the names below)

Outside the theater was a red carpet and the marching band playing as you entered the theater.  They were also handing out “25 years” pins while we waited in line.

At the top of the show, a representative for Bill DeBlasio came out to officially commemorate the day as Chicago day in NYC.  They were joined by Bebe Neworth, James Naughton and Joel Grey who all gave speeched.  Joel talked about the journey of the show, James mentioned all of the members of the cast and creative team who were in the audience (including John Kander) and finally Bebe said some brief words for the members of the original company who are no longer with us (including Ann Reiking, who’s name she announced while holding back tears).  They left the stage, and then Bebe came back out and said “and one more thing” before donning the signature bowler hat and delivering (what I assume are) the opening lines of the show (“This is a show about murder…&rdquoChicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

At the end of Act 1 they told us to remain seated and the mayor elect came out to say some words. 

At the top of Act 2, Lilias White came out and introduced the original conductor of Chicago.  He gave a speech about the orchestra (3 of the original members are still playing in the orchestra today) and then introduced a video tribute to Ann Reiking.  When the screen from the tribute lifted, Charlotte D’Amboise appeared striking a pose and delivered a touching tribute to Ann as well.  They then played the entre’acte, which was conducted by the original conductor before handing the baton back to the current conductor.

At bows, the marching band came back and played in the aisles.  Every single cast member (including swings) was called out by name and then they called out almost the entire creative team, Bebe, John, Joel as well as the producers to take bows as well.  The producers gave a nice speech about how no one wanted to fund this show and now here they are 25 years later.  And finally, Walter Bobbie closed out the evening with yet another speech talking about how special the night was and thanking us all for coming.

Updated On: 11/16/21 at 11:02 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2208Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 6:57am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Charlotte-DAmboise-Pays-Tribute-to-Ann-Reinking-at-CHICAGO-25th-Anniversary-Celebration-20211116

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2209Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 8:33am

Really hope the house was close to being full last night for this. Nothing like celebrating the 25th anniversary in a house at 60%/70%. Might be a sign it's time to close up.

Hamilfan2
#2210Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 8:50am

ACL2006 said: "Really hope the house was close to being full last night for this. Nothing like celebrating the 25th anniversary in a house at 60%/70%. Might be a sign it's time to close up."

The house seemed to be almost completely full!  Although who knows how much of that was comps/papering.  Was definitely glad to see a full house though!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2211Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 9:14am

I figured there'd be a ton of comps for former cast and crew. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2213Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 11:32am

I would say this feels like a final gasp for CHICAGO in an attempt to boost sales before making a decision about closing...except they do these anniversary celebrations every 5 years.

gibsons2
#2214Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 12:17pm

I went to see Chicago for the first time ever yesterday. I figured with all the unsold houses and recent show closures, I might as well get this Broadway permanent fixture out of the way until it's too late. Maybe I was lucky and chose the best day (25th anniversary celebration) to see this show or it's always that good, but yesterday was simply electrifying. One of the best experiences I've had since the reopening of Broadway. I didn't care much for all the special guests and speeches as I'm not familiar with the show and its long history, but boy, the actors and the orchestra have delivered yesterday! We couldn't peel our eyes of the bare stage with incredibly talented people performing, without any distractions. If this is what Chicago always like, I'm not a bit surprised it lasted for 25 years and will probably have more anniversary celebrations in the future (I sincerely hope it survives). I kept hearing for years not to bother with the show because the movie is so much better, and I loved the movie. the show exceeded my expectations. This was a kind of the night in the theater that will remain in my memory as one of the most thrilling. 

Updated On: 11/17/21 at 12:17 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2215Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 12:29pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I would say this feels like a final gasp for CHICAGO in an attempt to boost sales before making a decision about closing...except they do these anniversary celebrations every 5 years."

100%. Unless there's a name lined up for the Winter, Chicago's days may be limited.

everythingtaboo
#2216Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 6:39pm

I don't know. I feel like message boards have had Chicago at death's door for at least the last decade. And yet there it is, still standing. I hope it sticks around, it's an institution, but I really just don't see it ending. 

I mean, the future mayor just plugged the show last night on Colbert! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 11/17/21 at 06:39 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2217Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 6:55pm

Just caught the videos that BWW posted from the anniversary show. Charlotte d'Amboise's tribute to Ann Reinking was beautiful.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2218Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/18/21 at 9:10pm

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

everythingtaboo
#2219Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/22/21 at 9:58pm

NEW BLOCK OF TICKETS ADDED THROUGH
SEPTEMBER 11, 2022

NOW PLAYING AT THE AMBASSADOR THEATRE
CELEBRATING 25 TH ANNIVERSARY YEAR ON BROADWAY
TICKETS ON SALE AT WWW.CHICAGOTHEMUSICAL.COM

Producers Barry & Fran Weissler announced today that a new block of tickets is now on sale through September 11, 2022 for the Tony Award-winning, record-breaking hit musical Chicago at the Ambassador Theatre (219 W. 49th St., NYC).

Beginning January 3rd, performances on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays will begin at 7PM.

============================

FINALLY! WEEKDAY PERFORMANCES AT 7PM!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2220Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/25/21 at 7:58pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Watch-CHICAGO-Razzle-Dazzle-at-the-Macys-Thanksgiving-Day-Parade-20211125

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2221Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/25/21 at 8:09pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Watch-CHICAGO-Razzle-Dazzle-at-the-Macys-Thanksgiving-Day-Parade-20211125"

Hopefully they post a better quality video.  This one is terrible and it’s out of sync also.  It ruins the choreography. Everything is off by a quarter-second.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2222Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/21 at 7:53pm

Tom Hewitt is the new Billy Flynn in "Chicago".  (per the Chicago the Musical Official Website)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2223Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/21 at 8:13pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Tom Hewitt is the new Billy Flynn in "Chicago". (per the Chicago the Musical Official Website)"

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2224Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/21 at 8:40pm

Tonight's performance was cancelled due to two COVID positive cases on the staff.

Videos