pixeltracker

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?- Page 9

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#200Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/9/15 at 8:07pm

not if you get a reputation as a liar. And you are well on your way. Now is the time to do a course correction. before it is too late.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#201Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/9/15 at 8:51pm

Has the concept for Getting the Band Back together changed? I actually talked to Davenport several years ago, and he said that his wish for the show was a more intimate and interactive setting. Like you were actually going to see the garage band. Of course a lot can happen and change with a show over the years, but the one he described about 5 years ago would be a very strange fit for the Brooks, and indeed in most Broadway theatres. 

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#202Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/9/15 at 9:03pm

My God. Anyone who remembers my very earliest days on this board will tell you that I was absolutely unbearable in my Spring Awakening days. Since then I've realized that while it will always have that special place in my heart, it's kind of dumb. Last month I went to the reunion concert at 54 Below, and it was nice to see all those old familiar faces, but I think it's just way too soon for a revival.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to see it. If the Comet comes in in time for the Tonys this might be my favorite season ever!

I know you. I know you. I know you.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#203Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 2:46pm

I think its so weird how they aren't advertising the fact that its DEAF Awakening and not just a revival of the original Broadway production. Thats a bit misleading

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#204Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 3:15pm

first of all, where are you seeing this advertising you are referring to?

secondly, where have you seen any publicity for the show that does explicitly mention Deaf West?

third, it IS a revival, not even a revisal, so what in heaven's name are you talking about?

ZellMorrowsPledge
#205Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:00pm

Firstly, I'm talking about when you go to buy tickets (i.e. TicketMaster) the picture is the new Spring Awakening on Broadway design. Like here: 

http://cdn-gd.playbill.com/images/cache/remote/http_cdn-images.playbill.com/ee_assets/blair/sas.jpg

No where on the new design does it say that this is the DEAF WEST version, which IT IS, and not the 2006 Broadway version. So people might be misleaded. And where did I say its a revisal? What in the heavens name are YOU talking about?? I'm confused what you don't understand about my comment..

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#206Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:23pm

I got that impression from "not just a revival of the original Broadway production." And you seem to persist in it in your response ("No where on the new design does it say that this is the DEAF WEST version, which IT IS, and not the 2006 Broadway version.")

If you are saying that it is not a copycat of the original version (a la the A Chorus Line revival), then no it is not, nor would I think anyone would expect it to be. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are saying. To the best of my knowledge and belief, the book, music and lyrics are those that won the 2007 Tony awards.

To me, you seem to be grasping at straws.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#207Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:35pm

When you go buy tickets for the upcoming Fiddler revival. I think its safe to assume you are buying it for the 2015 production and not the original. Same goes for this production.

There is no misleading here. I'M confused what you don't understand about this.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#208Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:42pm

Few revivals are copies of the previous or original production.  Most people realize that a revival is new or different.  In fact, often look forward to a new take on previously seen shows.

Nothing is misleading.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ZellMorrowsPledge
#209Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 9:55pm

Am I speaking in tongues?! I'm saying that its misleading that it doesn't indicate that this a deaf-friendly version of Spring Awakening and not just a revival of the non-deaf version of spring awakening. When people go to buy tix to see The Fiddler revival they think they are gonna see a new production of Fiddler, not a production that includes sign language/deaf actors,etc. When people go to buy tickets to the Spring Awakening revival they might not know they are seeing a production that includes deaf actors & sign language which is misleading. You guys must not understand english text. 

ZellMorrowsPledge
#210Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 9:57pm

But not a lot of people might realize this is the deaf-friendly version so..

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#211Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:08pm

"But not a lot of people might realize this is the deaf-friendly version so.."

So they'll be in for a pleasant surprise? If anyone walks out, fine, whatever. But I don't think Big River was explicit in its art except that it fingerspelled 'BIG RIVER' in the clouds, which wasn't even used on all the marketing materials.

Really, if people don't do their research, it's on them -- the audience.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#212Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:11pm

But you make it sound like getting the ASL is a bad thing or that it is somehow lesser because of it. 

Most people didn't know there'd be more Spanish in the revival of WSS either.  So what?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry
#213Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:23pm

Yeah, I really don't like the implication that ASL needs a disclaimer or warning.

brdway411
#214Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:25pm

I have never had any desire to see this show. The deaf/sign language thing just might get me there. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#215Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:30pm

Zell-everyone responding in this thread understands English. What we don't understand is how it is misleading that their is sign language included in the production. Are you under the impression that the sign language is in lieu of speaking? It is not. 

I think you can rest assured that the show will be well marketed to hearing impaired audiences.

This is not a show (like the revivals of some shows) that features a new book or new/different songs. It is not a show that changes the setting. As far as Ican tell, it is not even a show that changes the orchestrations. I think we are unable to fathom why some "disclosure" is needed in the early artwork, which seems to be what you are suggesting. Did you think the Doyle Sondheim revivals were misleading too? Neither had actors playing musical instruments in the principal artwork. 

Sorry but I just think you are out in left field on this. 

ZellMorrowsPledge
#216Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:51pm

Sorry but I think you are blowing a simple comment out of porportion. I don't know how it sounds like I'm saying the ASL is a bad thing, and if people are surprised by it, yeah its on them. But its still misleading. Say what you want about the material, orchestrations, whatever. I thought it was weird how they didn't mention, when I went to buy tickets. that this is a different version of Spring Awakening then the non-ASL broadway version. You're looking for a debate

LizzieCurry
#217Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:55pm

Maybe they assumed that you had a little bit of knowledge since you actually went to buy tickets and didn't feel they had to tell you that. They don't tell you at the box office that Phantom is about a guy in the sewers or that Mormon has naughty words or that there's dancing in American in Paris either, do they?

ZellMorrowsPledge
#218Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:57pm

Liz- comparing an original musical to a topic about a revival is irrelevant and the analogy didn't work but nice try

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#219Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:31pm

Then perhaps, Zell, you'd like to take a nice try at explaining how what's being done here differs in any way from the manner in which the front of house artwork (during the first week of sales, no less) for every other revival is handled, Why is it more important to disclose what's going to happen onstage in this show than in any other revival? Why do you think there needs to be a warning about sign language as if it were full frontal nudity? That's the way what you're saying comes off. 

ZellMorrowsPledge
#220Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:35pm

Obviously so that people who are deaf could be aware there's finally a deaf-friendly show on broadway..what the??

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#221Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:48pm

And you think that somehow relates to the sign posted in the lobby of the theatre on day one? I think you have reached the point where "whatever" is the only reasoned response.

ZellMorrowsPledge
#222Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/12/15 at 12:02am

I honestly think you're making things up and I can't follow what you just said because it doesn't make sense to me how the sign in the lobby has anything to do with my point. And I've only said whatever once.. You're reaching for a point to make but you don't have one. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#223Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/12/15 at 12:09am

I thought you were talking about going to the box office but now I see you were talking about "going to" Ticketmaster. Now it's clear that what you wrote is just wrong. Here is what it says on the Ticketmaster ticketing page:

"Deaf West’s production of SPRING AWAKENING floored the critics when it premiered in California, prompting the Los Angeles Times to write, “It's hard to enumerate all the ways in which Deaf West's SPRING AWAKENING is so very, very good.” Now this unapologetically brilliant new production is coming to New York."

LizzieCurry
#224Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/12/15 at 12:15am

HAHAHA

Videos