The "LIGHT" goes out!

Isabella2
#200re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/6/06 at 11:21pm

at which part does clara and fabrizio wave backwards?

And also, for some bizarre reason during "Hysteria" I love the part where one of the ensemble members say "do you look for the meidici(sp?) palace?" Anyone know what her name is?

lvpblues
#201re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/6/06 at 11:31pm

Felicity also delivers the "Medici palace" line (one of my favorite little moments in the show). Her performance as Signora, specifically in "Aiutami" is remarkably different from Patti. On the broadcast, Patti discusses how they originally had her speaking in dialect but changed that in order to have her smash through the fourth wall, become one with the audience, etc. Felicity delivered the showstopping line (and the rest of the number) in her droll Italian accent which the audience found hilarious.
Updated On: 7/6/06 at 11:31 PM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#202re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 12:48am

The tender touching Mother-Daughter moments are what go straight to my heart...

And the *poke*

When Clara is being whisked away by her mother, but runs back up the steps to see Fabrizio again, and gives him an innocent, endearing, childlike yet loving *poke* on his chest. It's perfect.

And, as if that weren't perfect enough, that simple *poke* became a tender *handprint* during Kelli's last performance. She just let her hand linger on Fabrizio's chest for a moment longer... and it was exquisite.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#203re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:42am

Addy- that sounds so beautiful. I wish I could have seen Kelli more than once.

I love after "Clara's Interlude" the visual of Clara walking, head down and drooped shoulders, along the gate to tell Fabrizio she can't marry him.

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#204re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 12:43pm

I made a day trip in from DC just to see Kelly's last performance. Definitely worth it!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

lvpblues
#205re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 1:55pm

One of the real treats of seeing Piazza was to see how much O'Hara grew in the role of Clara. Her characterization, which always held me captive, deepened significantly throughout her run in the show. The title song was one of the great highlights of a performance, dramatically and vocally. Also how she really made moments like "Hysteria" and "Tirade" so emotionally honest (my heart always broke for her during the former, in the church scene and during the interlude).

I also had the privilege of being there for her final performance and am left with such thrilling memories of her portrayal as a result. The way she touched Aaron's heart instead of poking him, the emotional gravity of the character's journey and, most heartbreaking, her final "I can't leave you" at the end of the show.

It's extraordinary to think of the amount of work she put into the show, especially considering how she was initially Franca in workshops and out-of-town.

Also, the curtain call was extraordinary, especially the gasps from much of the audience on hearing it was her last time in the role and the instant standing ovation that ensued. Clark was also quite lovely in her praise for her co-star and Kelli was incredibly overwhelmed.

Though I think Katie had come a long way in the role since she started, I was completely devastated on my first trip back after Kelli's departure and further proved to me how adept her characterization of Clara really was.

~Kev

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#206re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:06pm

Did closing night honestly get no photo coverage from broadway.com or broadwayworld.com? Was press not allowed?

andyf
#207re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 10:45am

OK, question:

What is the name of the painting (or at least the artist) in the Michaelangelo room that isn't "The Annunciation"?

Felicity says:
"Here we see a late work by..."

and then I got nothing...

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]
Updated On: 7/9/06 at 10:45 AM

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#208re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 11:20am

The artist is Fra Filipo Lippi.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

andyf
#209re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:30pm

Yeah.

Two seconds after I posted, I remembered she says "Madonna with Angels," so I Googled that and found it.

Thanks.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#210re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 1:52pm

Katie is younger looking than Kelli.

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#211re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 1:53pm

She is younger than Kelli. Probably by 7 or 8 years.

IssaMe
#212re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 2:26pm

How odd it feels to have had a week without The Light! A week ago at this time, half-hour was about to begin.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#213re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 9:05pm

Victoria Clark's closing speech as reported by playbill.com!!!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/100755.html

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#214re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/9/06 at 9:08pm

Oh, I'm so glad they FINALLY reported something!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#215re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:02pm

A full week without 'Piazza'

*withdrawal shakes*

DottieD'Luscia
#216re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:35pm

While at the matinee of the forever dull, "Little Women" tour in DC, I kept thinking, "a week ago today, I was at the final performance of Piazza, and oh what a different experience that was!"

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

kissmycookie
#217re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:54pm

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum, Dottie!

DottieD'Luscia
#218re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:58pm

I was also imagining how the Piazza tour would look at the Kennedy Center Opera House come December.

kissmycookie
#219re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:03pm

*is tempted to catch the Piazza tour this December*

DottieD'Luscia
#220re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:09pm

I think you should. It's also going to be in Philadelphia in March (I think).

I'm still trying to get used to the idea of Cristine Andreas playing Margaret. I'm not a big fan of hers.

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#221re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:17pm

I'd see the tour for the simple fact that I'm dying for more "Piazza" at any cost.

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

DottieD'Luscia
#222re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:21pm

L4C, it will be in DC for 3 weeks beginning sometime in December.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#223re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:29pm

I'm not very happy about Piazza playing the merriam. I'd rather it play some other venue, even the Academy of Music would've been better.

DottieD'Luscia
#224re: The 'LIGHT' goes out!
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:34pm

What's the Merriam like?

Videos