BATB cut section in song?

gypsy4
#1BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:35pm

so I was reading in a book and it said that the OBC of Beauty and the beast was recorded why the show was still in preveiws that a whole section from a song that was recorded had been cut by the time it opened. which song is would this be? i've listened to it many times and have never noticed anything?

husk_charmer
#2re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:43pm

I wanna say they cut the bridge in "Home" and replaced it with a different bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:49pm

^Yup, but it's just the 2nd line of the bridge.

On the recording it's "What I'd give to return to the life that I knew lately. But I know that I can't solve my problems going back."

In the show, after the change. it became "What I'd give to return to the life that I knew lately. And to think I complained of that small provincial town."

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#3re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:54pm

The change is what is used in performance now, and what is in the vocal selections.

Also, the reprise of "If I Can't Love Her" has change lyrics.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/8/09 at 5:46am

This isn't terribly uncommon when a show records early. I know that the order of songs is different on the recording of Spring Awakening then it is in the show.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SweeneyPhanatic
#5re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/8/09 at 9:49am

The Original Cast Recording of ALW's PHANTOM is a really good example of how much a show can change from recording to performance. Compare the lyrics to the Canadian cast recording and the live show and you'll find a LOT of changes.

-- SDG

EverythingElse24
#6re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/8/09 at 11:49am

It could also be in Home (Reprise), I've heard three different versions of that.
"Don't you know how you've changed me, strange how I finally see."
or
"Home will be where the heart is, I'm certain as I can be."
There was one other, but I can't think of it at the moment.

leefowler
#7re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/8/09 at 11:53am

I worked on the show, and I'm not sure about this, but I think the section you're referring to is in the song "Home". I think the CD has two "A" sections before the bridge, and the Broadway show only has one. There are several differences between the Cast CD and the Broadway show, by the way, especially in some of the dance music. The CD was recorded after the Houston out of town production, and before some changes went in for the Broadway version.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/8/09 at 1:08pm

I believe the London cast recording preserves the changes that were made. "Maison des Lunes" has some minor lyrical changes and the reprise of "If I Can't Love Her" is almost completely different, but if you read the lyrics provided in the booklet you'll find the original Broadway lyrics.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9re: BATB cut section in song?
Posted: 7/8/09 at 1:37pm

Also .. didn't they change the ending (musically) to "If I Can't Love Her"?

Atleast the Beauty OBCR .. resembles the show. "Jane Eyre ~ The Musical"'s OBCR is ... VERY different - lyrically, songs that were cut, re-arranged, etc.!

Videos