pixeltracker

Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger- Page 3

Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#50re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/18/09 at 12:51am

I could see Nick leaving soon to do the Toronto production but I'm not sure on the rest.

ABoyLikeThat
#51re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/19/09 at 6:38pm

Diana's twitter is a great source of updates for this show. Today she said she'll be in the show until February. It also seems like Nick is out this week.

She was also featured on Twitter Watch today. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/TWITTER_WATCH_Diana_DeGarmo_holy_spaghettios_tweethearts_20010101
Diana's Twitter

TheAppleTree
#52re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 2:19am

I didn't expect her to be in the show until February. That's a long run. I'm not complaining. I definitely want to see her in this show, especially after hearing from a few other people that she pretty much steals the show just like she did in Hairspray. I loved the show when I saw it with Celina so it will be fun to see what Diana is bringing to the role.
Updated On: 8/20/09 at 02:19 AM

Cheshcat13 Profile Photo
Cheshcat13
#53re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 2:56am

"The Toxic Avenger" Wed. Aug 19th was a virtual sell out.

First time seeing the show and I really loved it. The humor was right up my ally.

Diana's Penny was amazing but Diana's Sarah is amazing squared. Diana all the necessary assets and comedic skill to play a very sexy Sarah besides a singing voice that blows people away. Diana especially rocked "My Big French Boyfriend" when she hit one of her famous long note at the end of the song. With Diana being in the cast until Feb. 2010, I'm sure I will she the show a few more times.

I would also love to see her in a production of "Funny Girl".

Nick Rodriguez did a excellent job filling in for Nick Cordero. Nancy Opel, Demond Green, and Jonathan Root also do an excellent job with all their character changes.

"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin," thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life."

AngusN
#54re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 8:06am

Yeh, I could totally see Diana in Funny Girl. About time it had a big revival.

DavidPatrickS82
#55re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 10:13am

The original Sarah was played by a good friend of mine and I personally think was the best for the part. Diana could not be a better replacement. She is by far a perfect fit for the role and I was so excited to see her step in. She plays it a lot like Sara Chase, but with plenty of her own flair to make it her own as well. Kudos to Diana!!!!!

BlueforBroadway Profile Photo
BlueforBroadway
#56re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 1:44pm

Saw the show last Saturday night. Diana was really good. I had fun.

Jekyll & Hyde back on Broadway! / Rock of Ages - 5 Tony nominations! Awesome!

broadwayboy1017
#57re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 3:09pm

I'm going to see the show again this week, I just can't get over how good she was. Her voice is UNREAL!

RentBoy86
#58re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 5:34pm

Any idea where the TDF tickets are for this?

ABoyLikeThat
#59re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/20/09 at 6:39pm

Diana was on GDNY promoting the show. They showed a number of clips from the show. I can't wait to see this with her in it.
Video of Good Day New York

broadwayboy1017
#60re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 8/31/09 at 9:54pm

Has anyone seen her recently? I'm interested to hear how she is doing!

RentBoy86
#61re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:24am

I saw it. I think she is great, but I think Sara Chase brought a more natural comedic ability to it. Chase had me on the floor, but Diana wasn't bad. She was good, she just hasn't quite settled into the comedic bits yet. She kills it with her voice though. She has such a beautiful belt, so that makes up for any short comings. The only point where I thought Chase excelled better was the little bits like when her character wanders offstage. Diana did it, but it looked more staged rather than her just naturally wandering off stage.

The rest of the cast was great, and I'm so surprised Green and Nancy Opel can belt and riff like that 8x a week! Go them!

Also, I heard Nick R. is leaving the show. Anyone know who is the new u/s?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#62re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/1/09 at 7:05am

I had a blast at Toxie (saw it right before Diane took over) and that was the immediate thought I had. How the hell are they not ripping their voices to shreds with this score!!??

As for the TDF tix....the only week (or two) that it wasn't available is the the very time I was in Manhattan...go figure! The only thing to "worry" about is if your seats are severe right or left and you are in the first few rows. Other than that, there shouldn't be a problem.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#63re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:45am

I just got a chance to see Diana after seeing Sara Chase four times in the role. I have to agree with rentboy that she was a bit of a disappointment.

Vocally she was there, but Sara just killed me with the comedy, and a lot of what Diana was trying to do just fell flat. I think she was trying to do play it too straight and not let the silliness and camp come through. The bit with the tea/whipped cream/upside down present during "Hot Toxic Love" was very off. It was more going through the motions than really feeling the comedy.

Maybe she'll grow into the role, but for anyone who saw Sara you may be let down.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

flossie2
#64re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:22pm

I had TDF last night (Monday) and they were second row center. The theatre was full. I went not knowing what to expect and loved the show. Very funny, good music and great work by all the actors.

TheAppleTree
#65re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/1/09 at 6:43pm

I'm planning to see Toxic in a couple weeks. She should be fully settled into the role by then and I'll get to see how she does with a couple months worth of performances under her belt. I suspect this role is a bit harder than Penny, just because of the different things you have to do and think about, on top of everything else, when playing a blind character. If she's already really good, then I imagine she'll continue to improve. I can't wait to see it.

Cheshcat13 Profile Photo
Cheshcat13
#66re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:33pm

I'm sure that playing Sarah takes a little more time than 9 days of rehersal and 3 weeks of performances to perfect. I would imagine that Diana also feels that her performance is a work in process in becoming more comfortable with the nuances of performing sight gags as a blind character.

As with Penny, Diana continued to grow into the roll to where she arguably became the top 2 actors to play that part.

"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin," thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#67re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/10/09 at 11:32pm

I went in to watch the show tonight for two reasons-to check out Diana, and to see Jason Wooten as Toxie. I became a fan of Jason after hearing his gorgeous voice in Dance of the Vampires.

Diana was the best Sarah! She's got it all-tons of stage presence, a really lovable personality, great comic timing and of course a wonderful voice.

I also loved Jason. He's a strong singer and I happen to love his contratenor (I think that's correct for him) voice, even though Toxie doesn't sing much in that register.

He acted the role perfectly too. I'm going to catch him again before the weekend is out.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Cheshcat13 Profile Photo
Cheshcat13
#68re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/21/09 at 6:35pm

Matinee Sunday, September 20, 2009

Just saw "The Toxic Avenger" for the second time and Nick Cordero was not there. But I was treated to Jason Wooten?s rendition of Toxie. I would imagine that Jason and Diana weren?t on stage too many times together but they had really good chemistry. Their duet of "Hot Toxic Love" was excellent. Jason has a great voice and stage presence. Diana has really made Sarah her own by becoming very comfortable with all the nuances of the role. Her facial expressions are priceless. Another thing that I noticed is that Diana is singing more in her natural voice where she is able to project even more power into her songs. As always Nancy Opel does an excellent job as does Demond Green and Jonathan Root.

Updated On: 9/22/09 at 06:35 PM

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#69re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/21/09 at 7:42pm

Stage presents? So he gave out presents like Santa?? LUCKY! re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

#70re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/21/09 at 11:21pm

This might be an annoying question but what's the stage door situation like at New World? I'm taking my younger sister who is 15 and would probably really like to meet Diana.

Cheshcat13 Profile Photo
Cheshcat13
#71re: Diana Degarmo Stepping into the Toxic Avenger
Posted: 9/22/09 at 9:46am

The stage door situation is no problem. Your younger sister will have an excellent opportunity to meet Diana. Diana is quite cordial to her fans in taking pictures and signing autographs. The stage door is downstairs by the theater (Stage 1).