Mr Roxy
#25re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/21/09 at 8:31pm

Throughly enjoyed it.

Poster Emeritus

melissak
#26re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 9:13am

We are thinking of seeing this at the end of October - we are looking for a light, fun show. Does anyone know if the current cast will still be in it then?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 9:15am

Most likely.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#28re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 2:47pm

The SHREK performance on The View was wonderful- a perfect representation of the show. It really made me want to see it. That's the way to make a TV appearance.

I was not impressed with 9 TO 5's performance on The View, however. It was obviously a very costly outing and the entire thing just felt rather awkward on TV.

SayWhyNot Profile Photo
SayWhyNot
#29re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 3:21pm

I'm with American Boy. I also saw both of them. Although both scores often miss more often than they "hit," I think "Shrek" has some intelligence and depth, believe it or not. The numbers for Sutton Foster are particularly well done -- and a genius development of the Foster character in the song "I know it's today," is undeniable, I believe :). Sometimes it's "in" to continue to bash a show, but I discount a lot of opinions when they can never point out when the creators make things "work," and "Shrek" "works" on many levels, despite the fact that, as a whole, one is left with the feeling that it could have soared with a better score overall.

I feel sorry for "9 to 5" - Dolly Parton needed an assistant writer or a lyricist - badly! But, she's a wonderful person . . . . .

That Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
#30re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 8:11pm

I thought Shrek was...eh...ok. I didn't think any of the songs stood out and were mostly forgettable as was Sutton Foster. I liked Christopher Sieber and thought the donkey was very funny and was the only saving grace (aside from Mr Sieber) which was a surprise to me considering how much I hated and was annoyed by Eddie Murphy's performance in the movie.

"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#31re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 8:14pm

I loved the show!

Yes it has its flaws, but so does every other family musical on Broadway (even Lion King). The book is rather derivative, but the score is a great eclectic bunch of songs, plus the design and cast are breathtaking.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#32re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 8:18pm

I think "Donkey Pot Pie," "Don't Let Me Go," "Freak Flag," "Morning Person" and "I Got You Beat" are each reason enough to run out of the Broadway Theatre screaming in terror.

But that's just me.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#33re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 9:19pm

It depends on what your idea of "good" is. I tend to like feel-good musicals, and that is what this show is. Yes, it is extremely similar to the movie. The music is quite good overall, and the sets/costumes are really colorful. I had fun.

If you hate this type of musical in general, then it probably won't be a good musical to you. If you prefer to see something thought-provoking and more original, steer clear of this show. But if you are looking for a wholesome family-friendly musical, this is your show.

And don't think just because it was based on a children's movie that it is something you should avoid at all costs. Go and form your own opinion. Good luck.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 7/22/09 at 09:19 PM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#34re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 9:47pm

I'll say one more thing. I like cute family-oriented material not as much as the person. I like it more. If you want to see something banal, derivative and pandering to the lowest intellectual capacity, "Shrek the Musical" is ideal.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 9:57pm

I thought it was awful.

The only reason I would go back is if I knew Haven Burton was going to be on as Fiona.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 10:42pm

^I saw Haven. Meh.

I thought it as a whole: rested on the fact that it was Shrek, and assumed everyone would love it and didn't bother making it really worthwhile.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#37re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 11:28pm

I saw Haven as Fiona and found her to be one of the few redeeming parts of the show. The cast was great (with the exception of Daniel Breaker who I found to be just "meh" and bordering on irritating). Some of the music is good. Other than that I felt like I could've stayed home and watched the movie and had a much better time.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

minicko88
#38re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/22/09 at 11:46pm

I happened to think that Shrek was the best musical in the Tony category this year. It was WAY better than Rock of Ages... Billy Elliott is overrated... However, Next to Normal could fight with Shrek, but overall liked Shrek better. Best cast out of any show on broadway right now! YA I SAID IT! And the best song of the season... "Who I'd Be"... Great SHOW!

bwaylvsong
#39re: Shrek the musical not good?
Posted: 7/23/09 at 12:41am

I saw Shrek and 9 to 5 today and loved them both! To each his own...