Saw Next to Normal again...

DefyGravity777
#1Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 8:25am

on Monday night and I loved it this time. I finally got the hype. I still don't get the hype for Alice but that's not the point. I think the last time I was too tired to really enjoy it and sitting in the mezz took away from the experience. This time I rushed and got front row which just changed my whole perspective on the show. Being that close and being able to actually see the facial expressions and whatnot helped.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 8:27am

I was shocked at the difference my seat made. I'm always curious and impresses with people that return to see a show they were not overly fond of.

Be careful....n2n is one of those addictive shows.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 8:36am

I hope I have that feeling too. I saw it and I didn't like it very much (I was front row to the side) Maybe a second chance is all I need.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#3re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 10:25am

I did front row side, and I'm going to go back and sit rear mezz. I'd rather center orchestra or something, but even buying rear mezz is stretching my budget.

If you want to see it again, I suggest sitting farther back where you can get the whole experience of the show, and not wonder what is happening when they are too far upstage.

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

DaNciNgFairy291
#4re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 2:09pm

^^^I agree. But just having any change of view is a good idea. I saw it in the rear orch my first time and I really want front mezz or front orch for my next, I've done it at other shows. It changes everything.

2009 SHOWS: Spring Awakening - 1/2 Hairspray - 1/2 Mary Poppins - 1/11 Deer Park High School's The Diary of Anne Frank - 1/17 BayWay's The Wedding Singer - 2/7 Pal Joey - 2/11 Deer Park High School's High School Musical (Cathy) - 3/12 - 3/14 Lauren Pritchard and Duncan Sheik Concert - 3/15 Bryce Larsen and Idina Menzel Concert - 3/28 New York City Student Shakespeare Festival (Witch - Macbeth) - 5/1 Shrek - 5/6 Next to Normal - 6/20 Gateway Playhouse's Miss Saigon - 7/19

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#5re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:45pm

glad you got the hype! :)

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#6re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:47pm

What don't you like abour Alice? Is it just her singing or do you not like her acting choices? Glad you enjoyed the show this time!

DefyGravity777
#7re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:59pm

It's just her voice. I love her acting choices and think she is an incredible actress.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#8re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/23/09 at 6:15pm

Ah, okay. re: Saw Next to Normal again... Her voice bothered me too at first, but now it's grown on me and I quite like it. It's definitely an acquired taste.

heatha1017 Profile Photo
heatha1017
#9re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/24/09 at 12:06am

Personally, I think Alice's voice blends beautifully with the score.

heo1128
#10re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/24/09 at 12:09am

Alice's voice adds a whole different layer to the character, which was apparent after seeing Jessica Phillips in the role.

jaxel614
#11re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 8:49pm

I saw the show once from row B of the mezz. Bad seat, great show. So from what I'm reading I will enjoy the show much more the second time if I buy full price center orchestra row BB tickets than if I go for the row H of the mezz seats?
Updated On: 7/29/09 at 08:49 PM

Luisasabh Profile Photo
Luisasabh
#12re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 9:01pm

After seeing the show a few times in the Orchestra (Front row, or close to it), I sat in the right box last weekend... I wouldn't say I would have liked the show less than I did the first time just because of my seat, but I felt like it took away much of the intimacy I felt before.

In this show, seating close to the stage and being able to feel and see in details all the amazing performances definitely adds an extra something
=)
What I liked about seating in the second level of the theater was being able to see what was going on in the back of the 2nd level, and 3rd level of the stage! I caught myself watching Gabe on the 3rd level a bunch of times while other things were going on somewhere else!

Updated On: 7/29/09 at 09:01 PM

jaxel614
#13re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 9:09pm

I did like that I was able to see the second and third levels perfectly. It was when the focus was on the bottom level that because of where we were sitting we had to hunch over to see the stage.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#14re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 9:22pm

Go for row BB. I sat there and nothing beats being able to see Alice's facial expressions up close.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#15re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 9:25pm

And no one believed me when I said the mezzanine took away from the show...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

jaxel614
#16re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:14pm

I regret not buying the BB seats when I had the chance with the discount code I used for June. Kind of itching to see it again and to bring the rest of my family. I'll probably end up getting the BB seats.

Updated On: 7/29/09 at 10:14 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:25pm

I'm very pleased that my tickets for next week are 4th row center. I was not as connected from the front row of the mezz...I could SEE fine....it just lost something.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

DefyGravity777
#18re: Saw Next to Normal again...
Posted: 7/30/09 at 7:46am

^That is so true dramamama. My first time seeing it I was halfway up in the mezz. I could see everything just fine but something was missing. The emotion in the scene in your avi was one of those things that was missing from sitting up there(I mean there was still emotion but nothing like seeing it done about 3 feet in front of your face).

Videos