ROA understudies.

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#25re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:10am

Contantine's understudy/standby is really good, I saw him perform at Bryant Park

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#26re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:35am

The LED lights were given out regularly at all performances I think. I went twice and got them then. The ushers had boxes of them. They must have run out, I hope they get them again. That is the best free collectible I have seen in a long time.

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#27re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:37am

haha, the LEDS do add a cool effect as well.

AwesomeDanny
#28re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 1:32pm

I wish I got and LED light when I saw it. They sell them on playbill.com for $3.95, but I don't want to pay how much it will cost with shipping for just an LED light that says Rock of Ages. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday next month.

jerseyboyschick2 Profile Photo
jerseyboyschick2
#29re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:28pm

I went to the 7/21 show and Tad was on for Lonny. I thought he did a great job, and was hilarious. I would've loved to have seen Mitch, but Tad definitely did not dissapoint.

"You will understand that Bww is a forum that allows Theatre people, Fussy old Queens, and chorus boys of Mama Mia to release their everyday life's frustration by being Snarky, B**chy, and sarcastic." -BwayBoundJoe

vixiedust2
#30re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:56pm

Jeremy Woodard had the off broadway Stacee Jaxx costumes that Will Swenson wore, so when i saw him i was excited to see the red pants for Here I Go Again haha

and each time i saw Savannah it became a fun game of seeing her go from off broadway costumes Kelli had to all the exact broadway costumes Amy had....it was like what will she had this time?

When i saw Jeremy Jordan as Drew the first time he didn't have a wig, but the next time he did...guess they like Drew with long hair better....

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#31re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:17pm

I think they ran out of the lighters--- Everyone got one last week, but none given out Tues-- They are VERY cool !!

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#32re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/2/09 at 2:14pm

>>>>They sell them on playbill.com for $3.95,

Off Broadway they gave them out if you bought a drink and were selling them for $1.
Most nights they do give them out as you walk into the theater.
They gave them to everyone at the Tonys also.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#33re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/4/09 at 2:14am

Jeremy Jordan is playing Franz this Thursday night, according to his facebook page.

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#34re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/4/09 at 2:29am

I saw the show on Sunday. Michael was fantastic as Lonny. They were giving out the LED lighters at the show, so I guess they got them back in stock. Although, the large group of people behind me who arrived about 5 minutes before the start of the show did not get any....they either ran out again or stopped handing them out at a certain time.

AwesomeDanny
#35re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/4/09 at 10:16am

"They gave them to everyone at the Tonys also."

Yeah, I kind of saw all the lighters turn on during their performance, and when Jeffrey Rush waved his lighter at his acceptance speech.

AngryYoungMan
#36re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/5/09 at 10:54pm

Tad Wilson is on as Dennis from August 17th-21st!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#37re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/6/09 at 10:45am

I liked Tad as Dennis. His straight-man, deadpan deliver of a lot of the lines worked very well, since he has a Kyle Gass quality about him. Gass originated the role in Los Angeles, I believe, and supposedly that's where Lonny's Jack Blackiness comes from, so that the two would have their iconic onstage chemistry together.

Also, I'm pretty sure ROA is the only musical yet to have both a "surprise gay" and a "surprise straight" in the same show.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#38re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/6/09 at 10:36pm

^and it's one of the best scenes!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Stage Door Sally
#39re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/6/09 at 11:49pm

Darquegk, interesting catch about the surprise gay AND surprise straight. They broke stereotypes, and it was great.

Another thing I liked, the name "Regina"... They could have done a cheap joke with it, and you expected they would, but instead they just let it go and the audience laughed at the name anyway. Kind of a joke on the audience, and it worked.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#40re: ROA understudies.
Posted: 8/7/09 at 8:58am

^

Dumb question: Is Lonny really gay? lol I just thought it was more of a "bro-mance" situation ha

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

Contributor
#41re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 2:26pm

Hear from a ROA cast member herself about understudying roles and how difficult the show is!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=61808

Barney Stinson
#42re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:36pm

It's supposed to be a bromance, but it sure comes off as a 'surprise gay' as Stage Door Sally so eloquently put it.

Stage Door Sally
#43re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 7:13pm

"Barney," props actually to Darquegk.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#44re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 11:02pm

Actually, Barney Stinson, it may NOT be a bromance. Though ostensibly straight, both Lonny and Dennis exhibit some questionable behavior during the show that leads that into question:

Lonny and Dennis are longtime hosts of naked wrestling parties, but find the idea of using women a novel and unusual choice.

Dennis and Stacee have some sexually-debauched history together, though the exact nature varies. The printed score denotes that they f*cked a llama together, Tad Wilson says Stacee simply made out with the llama, and the cast recording says that the two of them "sh*t-f*cked a baby llama."

Everything Lonny says or does, apart from the "Hooray for Boobies" t-shirt.

lstbutifulgrl2
#45re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 11:04pm

i don't know if i would use the "remember when you INSERT WHATEVER ADLIB HERE that baby llama" as a reference. i've heard every word used from bang to schtuped as well as "do you remember what you did with that baby llama". i think it just depends on the night and the audience how far they take that line.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

i am the one Profile Photo
i am the one
#46re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 11:08pm

Hey -- unsure if this has been mentioned anywhere previously, but according to Wesley Taylor's website, he is leaving the role of Franz on September 13th, I believe in prep for the "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" workshop at Lincoln Center.

Who will replace him?!!!! In Beyonce's words, he is irreplaceable. Could be a good break for Jeremy Jordon.
Click "News"

Everywhere like such as.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#47re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 11:16pm

I wasn't aware it was a nightly ad-lib, as the score just says "****ed."

raggballad2 Profile Photo
raggballad2
#48re: ROA understudies
Posted: 8/7/09 at 11:21pm

Wesley may also be preparing for the Addams Family debut in November. Exciting to see him in new projects, and I'm excited to finally see him in two weeks!

Stage Door Sally
#49re: ROA, SPOILER ALERT
Posted: 8/8/09 at 6:20am

I think this thread needs a SPOILER ALERT in the title, asap.

I am absolutely ROFLing about your analysis, Darquegk. It's quite good, but it's almost surreal considering the subject matter.

At the risk of analysis paralysis, my two cents, which are worth exactly that, is I thought Lonny, as played by Mitch, was gay. I didn't think so at the beginning (don't forget the camel toe shirt too), but after the duet it made sense that he was based on his Jack Blackian behavior.

Dennis is another matter. The scene where he hires Sherrie after he catches a glimpse of her picking up a penny... suggests straight. Also, Adam Dannheiser is so serious, when he starts on his part of the duet, I laughed (and clapped) the hardest (until the spin).

I reconciled all this by remembering that the show is set in the Reagan era, when it was more difficult for some men to come out.

As for Wesley Taylor, it will be a loss for the show. In another thread I posited Neil Patrick Harris in the part.

Someone responded he isn't the right age and is wrong for the part of Franz. I don't agree. I think NPH can play young (Dr. Horrible). And yes he is 36, but Constantine is 33 or 34. Amy Spanger is 38, so Neil's age is no big deal to me. I think he'd be hilarious with an accent.

I am probably in the minority. Not looking forward to Addams Family. Hope it is a big break for Wesley though.

Updated On: 8/8/09 at 06:20 AM