pixeltracker

Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..- Page 3

Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..

wafflehouse2005 Profile Photo
wafflehouse2005
#50re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 2:59am

Speaking of which, does anyone have any predicitons of when Alice plans to leave the show?

I imagine she'll ride the Tony Award wave for a while, but will she wait till she faces an 'Idina voice disaster' to leave the show?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#51re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:06am

She and the rest of the cast are contracted through March.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#52re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 8:03am

I saw Jessica Friday night. I waited on the Rush line for 5 hours and was a little disappointed when I found out but I didn't care that much. I thought Jessica was great! She gave a very normal side to Diana. When she wasn't having her freak outs she made Diana seem normal which Alice just can't do.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#53re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 8:11am

Does anyone know if Ripley will be out today? I'm thinking of rushing to see Jessica.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

scampsweep
#54re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 8:14am

I wonder if Alice would like...sit in the theater and watch Jessica's performance, knowing her personality and all.

What does the poster mean by this? Is it a joke referring to the character of Diana or is it about Ripley herself ? Sorry, don't understand. Does Ripley have some kind of possessive personality about her roles or what???

Sorry, it's probably me just being dumb and missing the point.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#55re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 8:20am

No idea..but I would imagine that would be the last thing she would want to do.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#56re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 8:31am

If you plan on getting student rush today, shouldn't you already be on line?

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#57re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 11:37am

Also caught the show last night to see Jessica. Am I the only one that thought she looked WAY too young? I don't know why but I thought she looked late 20s/early 30s.

Her voice was fantastic and it was nice to hear the score with a strong voice, but it was almost TOO good- no strain or harsh or pain that should come with the role of Diana that Alice naturally has.

Other than her voice, Jessica totally missed the mark IMO. Alice's presence was definitely missed, and couldn't help but compare the two the entire evening.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#58re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 12:25pm

I still don't get all the people who say Alice Ripley's voice isn't strong, I saw the show Sunday evening a week ago and thought she has one of the strongest voices I've ever heard live. It's one of the many thrill of her mammoth performance as Diana. I think she has a brilliant voice, and more importantly, she knows how to act while she sings, which a lot of people who are considered good vocalists cannot do (Linda Eder I'm looking at you).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

heo1128
#59re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 12:34pm

"Am I the only one that thought she looked WAY too young?"

DEFINITELY not. She looks too young, and Kyle Dean looks too old. Awkward.

teka21
#60re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 1:38pm

I'm thinking you don't know too many women in their late 30's- Jessica looks age appropriate to me...

jaxel614
#61re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 1:44pm

Is this a video of Jessica Phillips?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRdwq0qwUI&feature=related
Updated On: 8/2/09 at 01:44 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#62re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 1:48pm

Yes, that's her.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#63re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 1:51pm

Here's her doing Costco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKvi31vA-Jw

Updated On: 8/2/09 at 01:51 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#64re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 1:54pm

That woman by the door is completely uninterested. I love how she nods off a few times, checks her watch, and then starts texting.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#65re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 2:45pm

adam: I think that's more of the song out of context, sung in more of a concert like atmosphere as opposed to the psychopath presence its played with during the show w/ the cart and blocking.

And I agree that Jessica does look a bit young, especially with the older looking Massey. With Tveit it think it would have still been an issue, but not as big.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#66re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:29pm

I was talking about I Miss the Mountains, not Costco. Although, the woman appears equally uninterested in both numbers.

Her voice is very pretty, it's just not right for this role or this show.

AndAllThatJazz22
#67re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:46pm

That 'I Miss the Mountains' was incredible. It was honestly the best rendition of that song I've ever heard. Not only was it beautifully sung (with the exclusion of one ugly note), it was a very emotional and heartbreaking. I would hate to say 'OMG She is better than Alice' since I haven't seen Alice or Jessica...but that was the most impressive clip of 'I Miss the Mountains' I have ever seen, even more so than Alice.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

crushgroove
#68re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:57pm

I've realized that no one can come close to playing this role like Ripley does...but I think Ms. Phillips sounds pretty damn good in the "I Miss The Mountains" clip. It's tough to compare anyone to Alice because her voice is so utterly distinct and original. I can't think of anyone who sounds like her.

sisters of avalon
#69re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:57pm

Wow, Jessica sounds so great in that clip, and this is coming from a HUGE Alice Ripley fan! Wish I could've seen one of the shows that she was in as Diana this weekend! I bet it was great!

Anyone know if Alice is back today, or if Jessica is on?

"They can get you in East Hampton for wearing red shoes on a Thursday, and all that sort of thing. I don't know whether you know that, I mean..do you know that? They can get you for almost anything--it's a mean, nasty Republican town!"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#70re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:02pm

Presumably, Ripley is back, since Jessica Phillips didn't update her facebook status saying she was going on again (which she did the past two days).

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#71re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:04pm

Whichever happened, it came right down to the wire. Neither woman posted a FB status about it (boht have done it very early in the past.)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#72re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:50pm

oh my god i LOVE "Costco." I wish it had been recorded as a bonus track.

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#73re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 5:00pm

Glad to hear Alice is better and going on, Adamgreer.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#74re: Alice Ripley out of N2N tonight..
Posted: 8/2/09 at 5:47pm

According to someone on ATC, she was in fact back this afternoon.