pixeltracker

FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC

FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC

Margot2
#1FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:13pm

I saw The First Wives Club last night on opening night. A friend of mine got tickets early so we had great seats. I've seen a lot of negative stuff on here and I have to say this was NOT my experience AT ALL. Rupert Holmes book is smart and funny. The score is catchy and, at times, thrilling. Sure a few songs need to be worked and maybe replaced, but there are several songs you go out singing. I woke up with a couple in my head this morning. The cast is splendid. All the leads are seasoned veteran and Tony nom'd/winning actors and that experience shows. Barbara Walsh is incredible both vocally and as an actress. Karen Ziemba is hysterical and neurotic and rich in her characterization. Brad Oscar is so funny and loveable- even if you hate him for deserting his wife. Sam Harris and Sara Chase are comic standouts. The fact that Harris can sing like he does and also be hysterically funny when he assumes his alter ego is a wonder. Sara Chase, who plays all the girlfriends is a real discovery. Her timing is impeccable and she is stunning in all the parts. Some people didn't even know it was one girl. The sets are beautiful and the transitions very cinematic. My only serious criticism is that the choreography and staging need some work at times and a few songs need to be reworked and reconsidered. The most clever staging is the Auction and even it is repeated in movement so it could be more.
High points: Barbara Walsh's Act I closer is soaring and stunning. So heartfelt and full of emotion and her voice is perfection. Harris' first act song is a genuine boost of energy and the audience went nuts. The husbands act II song with Chase playing ALL the girlfriends was brilliant (but again, the choreography was lackluster). Oscar's Act II TV commercial is comic gold. Harris' Act II scene and song is hysterical farce. Ziemba made me laugh one minute and cry the next. John Dossett is such a clown that you forgive his character's idiocy. Ralph's timing and tone is a scream. The girl who plays cynthia (the dead one) has an amazing voice. Wow.
Does the show need work - yes. Is it in better shape than many Broadway shows when they actually open? Yes, indeed. Because I had been a little tainted by some of the hateful remarks here, I was especially interested in other people's opinions at intermission and after the show. The word was a big "yes." Of course people had comments here and there about what should be changed, but I would say 90% thought it was a hit. It moves at comedy breakneck speed with laughs as often as a Seinfeld episode and still remains moving. I heard many women talking about relating to it deeply. And with a little work and a little settling in and some music fixes and some better staging, this could be a show that lasts a long time on Broadway and on tour.
I went in prepared to dislike it. I saw those terrible clips on youtube, which I believe have been fixed in the show by the way. There are so many moments that are incredible that I am not sure why they chose those dreadful clips. But live and in person, I was won over by its energy, comedy, heart and fantastic performances. I look forward to seeing it in its next incarnation.
Updated On: 8/1/09 at 02:13 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:25pm

Yes, you joined today to shill about your show. Plus, you already posted under a similar name before.

re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:27pm

Joined today (+) first post (-) references to earlier negative and hateful comments about the show (X) a lot of hyperbole =

The show, she is in trouble!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:37pm

Margot 2 = HHA1

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=1001498&boardid=1

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Margot2
#4re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:41pm

Wow, you guys take this really seriously. I've been on here a dozen times before. I've never signed up before. Started reading about this show because I knew I was seeing it. I don't live in San Diego (visiting a friend) and I love Broadway so I was excited. And then started reading some iffy stuff and some negative stuff. I joined to put on my unsolicited opinion and my experience. Who are you guys and why do you want things to fail? I really loved the show. Problems, yes, but it's really good. I hope you get to see it to see for yourself. Until then, I remain a theater fan and hope that there is lots of room for new exciting projects in a difficult economy and in a time when a lot of juke box shows are playing because not much new is up. Not here to defend anything. I just thought it was a good idea to voice my opinion since I actually saw the show and I've seen a lot of Broadway over the years, including shows that some of this cast has been in. I am not a kid. I am a 42 year old woman and mother of two who doesn't go on these things very often and assumed I was welcome here. Isn't that what this is for?

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#5re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:42pm

Has anyone with a legitimate opinion been to see the show earlier this week or on opening night? Have they been making changes?

Surprised there's no Variety review up. Usually the local papers take a while, but Variety is posted right away more often than not.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:46pm

There was a bad Sand Diego.com review, but I guess that could be as legitimate as the show's shill poster.

http://www.sandiego.com/index.php?option=com_sdca&target=b6dc3e88-8296-404a-9e88-1138e9a9e008

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#7re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:59pm

I've noticed that the professional reviews for San Diego productions ie, the San Diego Union and The LA Times are sometimes a few days after the opening night although you're right that Variety is usually fast.

Margot, regardless of who you are, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 3:13pm

Margot2= Francesca Zambello.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#9re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 4:03pm

There was a bad Sand Diego.com review, but I guess that could be as legitimate as the show's shill poster.

http://www.sandiego.com/index.php?option=com_sdca&target=b6dc3e88-8296-404a-9e88-1138e9a9e008

And that review was done by someone who is or was a professional theatre critic = Welton Jones. For years he was the theatre critic for the SD Union before he got axed due to budget cuts. Most of the times his reviews were almost always negative so take it for what it's worth. I see the show this Thursday and really have very low expectations.

chrisampm2
#10re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 4:10pm

That's actually a more positive review than I expected. This seems, like 9 to 5 and Vanities, a show that will appeal to audiences who want a nice time at the theater but won't appeal to the critics enough to get those audiences into the theater.

madophelia Profile Photo
madophelia
#11re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 5:35pm

There was a bad Sand Diego.com review

The review itself wasn't all that bad. From the opening paragraphs on, my take is that the reviewer isn't fond of that kind of material. It doesn't appeal to him, which doesn't surprise me. He has kind and/or positive things to say about many aspects of the production.

However, I can only surmise that he has never seen the original movie, as he wrote, "But they?ve added a lesbian daughter and a gay pal." *shaking head*

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#12re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 5:50pm

Wouldn't the OBVIOUS thing for the producers to do, if they are concerned enough about the buzz on this message board to send in shills, to post a video or a songclip or SOMETHING from the show that isn't abhorrent, soul-crushing dreck?

OBVIOUS seems to be something they can handle, no?

I ask this in all honesty, really? Isn't the best payback success? PROVE how great the show is - we're dying to see!

Though I get the feeling were there something better than "Red-Day for Change" and "Jump for Oy" we would have gotten it by now.

A Good Nightmare Comes So Rarely,
P

Margot2
#13re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:09pm

I probably shouldn't respond to this. But no one sent me, I assure you. And I saw Carrie, by the way. Yes, I am old enough to have seen Carrie. I wonder if you are by your comments. I don't mean anything by that, except that I just saw this really fun, moving show that doesn't pretend to be something it's not, but really shines with joy and a great cast and I wanted to let you guys, who love theater enough to come on here and talk about it, that it is really good. I see now that this is more of an inside club and newcomers aren't necessarily welcome. Especially with good news. I wish you well.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:15pm

Sure Sam Harris, I mean, Margot2.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#15re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:18pm

Sam - wish this was a revival of THE LIFE! I bet you do, too!

P

P.S. You don't have to be old enough to have seen CARRIE to have seen CARRIE.
Updated On: 8/1/09 at 07:18 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:20pm

There's a revival of THE LIFE starring Sam Harris coming to Broadway next season???? I need to start a thread about this!

AwesomeDanny
#17re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:21pm

"newcomers aren't necessarily welcome"

I just joined Thursday and nobody has been mean to me or insulted me.

i am the one Profile Photo
i am the one
#18re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 7:41pm

Hahahahahaha.
This is why I love BroadwayWorld. :)

By the way, I hope this show dies a quick, painless death. Or a slow, painful one... as long as it never reaches New York City or its surrounding regional theaters.

Everywhere like such as.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#19re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/1/09 at 8:01pm

Harsh, i am the one - wish I said it myself (I thought it, though).

I hope everyone who complains that posters here are too cynical can realize that this so-called "negativity" comes from a deep respect for the satisfaction good work brings. We have high standards because we want to see quality product from talented professionals. The Golden Age is over and most new shows coming to town are not the second coming of GYPSY or FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

Does that mean I expect GYPSY at every performance I attend? Of course not, but I at least want to see something fresh and diverting for my money's worth. People are being paid to bring us entertainment, and they should take pride in what they do. This show, along with several others I can think of, is a lazy, dunderheaded paycheck for most involved, and I think everyone here is well within their rights to call it out as such without being labeled a killjoy.

kooky
#20re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/2/09 at 10:41am

You should have joined MUCH earlier... looks extremely suspicious .... Miss Shill!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#21re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/2/09 at 11:34am

ABB257-- thanks for your comments. Some of the things being said here were making me embarrassed to be a member here.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#22re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:06pm

And this lady loved opening night...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2012656/_globe_theatres_new_musical_first_wives.html?cat=2

Love the sub-title of her review: LOL Camp, Big Lovely Tunes.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#23re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:20pm

She seems to be a veritable Pauline Kael of theatre criticism...

P

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#24re: FIRST WIVES CLUB REVIEW - FANTASTIC
Posted: 8/2/09 at 3:25pm

I agree with adamgreer. Francesca, instead of wasting your precious time posting here, why don't you concern yourself with the hot mess that is presently on stage.

Videos