pixeltracker

The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)- Page 3

The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)

RentBoy86
#50re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:32am

I don't know. I'm just not sold that this is going to be a huge runway hit. But maybe. I'm curious to see what they do with marketing and whatnot. I hope it's just not a picture of those two women with "A Little Night Music" across it.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#51re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:35am

I find it hard to believe all of you complaining now aren't going to find some way to see this. If its not selling out in pre-sale, they will add discounts. Its that simple.

#52re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:40am

For once and for all: We want to see our FAVORITE SHOWS with HUGE STARS but we just don't want to pay for it!

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#53re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:43am

While I agree that the pricing is ridiculous, I'm sure discounts will probably be made available later in the run if the show isn't a box office smash. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Sondheim shows don't exactly have a good track record of being box office smashes. Although this show does have a certain amount of star wattage, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#54re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 12:28pm

These prices just leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth for this show.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#55re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 12:59pm

I agree that the prices and the strangeness of the scale is very souring. However, it is Angela, so I will have to go. There is no question about it.

That said, I too hope it has a solid rush policy.

I also don't believe, especially with these prices, that this will be a runaway hit. Lansbury will do most of the sales, barring Zeta-Jones gets rave reviews. She is a talented actress, but her celebrity is on the wane, it's been a while since her Oscar. She doesn't have the marquee value she had five years ago. And with her and Lansbury being the only names in the show that could spell a problem.

Elsewhere, I am delighted that Leigh Ann Larkin is in this production.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#56re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 1:11pm

Rudy, you're absolutely delusional if you think Lansbury is going to sell more tickets to this than Catherine Zeta Jones. Most people know Lansbury as either Jessica Fletcher or Mrs. Potts. She does not, in any world, have the marquee value that Jones does. Lansbury herself recognized this, and reportedly only agreed to do the production if they found a larger "name" to play Desiree.

For the vast majority of the public, Jones is the draw.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 1:26pm

Zeta-Jones is definitely the selling point. Lansbury will attract the theater crowd who would probably be seeing the show anyway.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#58re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 1:59pm

I agree with adamgreer and ljay on this one...

BwayBuff2 Profile Photo
BwayBuff2
#59re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:59pm

I don't really see anything wrong with the ticket prices...if you don't want to pay that much then don't go.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#60re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 4:05pm

Telecharge has updated regarding Catherine's schedule

*Catherine Zeta-Jones will not be performing the role of Desiree from Tuesday - February 16 to Sunday - February 21, 2010, and Tuesday - March 30, 2010, to Sunday - April 4, 2010.

I assume Jayne Paterson is her understudy.
Updated On: 9/30/09 at 04:05 PM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#61re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 4:59pm

That's what happens when you don't get enough sleep. I meant to type that Lansbury would spurn most *initial* sales. And I do believe that to be true. Maybe I'm off the Hollywood radar, but I don't believe I've heard a thing about Zeta-Jones since "The Terminal" in 2004.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Updated On: 9/30/09 at 04:59 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#62re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:01pm

"Lansbury herself recognized this, and reportedly only agreed to do the production if they found a larger "name" to play Desiree. "

Although I agree that Zeta-Zones is definitely more of a name than Lansbury, I don't think this is why she said this comment. I thought she said it because, she didn't want to feel like people thought it was 'her' production (i.e. she did not want it to 'rest on her shoulders').

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#63re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:01pm

Lansbury will do most of the sales, barring Zeta-Jones gets rave reviews.

That's exactly what you said: that Lansbury will be a draw over Zeta-Jones.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#64re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:03pm

UGH! Why can't I buy tickets for opening night?!?!?!

F. U. Telecharge

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2
Updated On: 9/30/09 at 05:03 PM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#65re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:11pm

Yero, I looked back and realized that I made a typo, as I said in my last post. I think she will probably spurn more initial sales, rather, until the real buzz kicks in, if it does.

qolbinau, I agree. I think she wanted a celebrity name to carry most of the weight to take most of the pressure off her shoulders.

If things go according to plan of course this will Catherine's show.

I still don't think, however, that at these prices (which I also took for me granted and did not put in my first post) that more of the initial (I.E. pre-opening) sales will hinge on Lansbury and also Sondheim's reputation. But then I could be underestimating Zeta-Jones' starpower. I think she is very talented, don't misunderstand, but I don't see the general public becoming as excited about paying upwards of $100 to see her as I do the paparazzis waiting to congregate outside the stage door.

Gothampc
#66re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:07pm

SEATING UPDATE:

So I tried for seats. For previews I can get rear orchestra. For regular performances only side orchestra.

I supposed they will open up better seating in October when the box office opens?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#67re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:15pm

I can really see tourists shelling out these prices for a show with this type of story & score.

I will content myself with the memory of seeing the original. I thought $ 125 would hold for awhile. It looks like any big new show will increase the base price of a ticket. Watch for The Addams Family to increase prices after opening especially if they get raves.

By the way, the facility fee on the ST James is now $ 2. This is called getting it from both ends. Pass the vaseline kiddies.

The producers are intent to continue to price Broadway out of reach for average theatergoers.

Gordon Gekko is happy.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 9/30/09 at 06:15 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#68re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:19pm

Goth, I would wait until the box office opens. Definitely better seats wil lbe available then.

Mr. Roxy, I don't think Addams Family will be getting raves, so you will a get a discount I am sure. Plus, after opening night you won't get all the headlining principles on the stage at once. It will be just like Young Frankenstein.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#69re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:23pm

I sure glad the theater owners defeated NYS plans to tax tickets.

Imagine where we would be if that happened - higher prices (Stiffling a laugh)

Poster Emeritus

RentBoy86
#70re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 7:50pm

I don't think Jones is that much of a draw either, though. Maybe back when Chicago came out and she was sort of on top of her game, but she's sort of faded. Not saying she's not a legit actress and won't be great, but I don't think she's the kind of name that's going to sell-out the run. I'll wait for the student rush policy.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#71re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 10:23pm

By the way, the facility fee on the ST James is now $ 2. This is called getting it from both ends.

All Jujamcyn theaters now charge $2 and have for at least a year. The producers have nothing to do with that and no say in it.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

#72re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 9:57am

How is the front mezzanine seating at the Walter Kerr Theatre... I've always sat in the orchestra section.
Updated On: 10/1/09 at 09:57 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#73re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 10:56am

nypj, the front mezz is great. I was there for The Seagull.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#74re: The 'A Little Night Music' ticket pricing scale.... (ugh)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 11:03am

As someone who is excited to finally see this show back on the boards and interested to see what this cast can bring to it I ask the people saying it will have a tourist draw:

What was the last film that CZJ did? More importantly: when was her last HIT film?

Bearing that in mind: she has also returned to being the T-Mobile spokesperson...

Do we really think tourists are going to have any idea what "A Little Night Music" is simply by name?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock