MEMPHIS - Seating Help

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 8:32pm

Hey All -

So, I'm contemplaing booking tix to see MEMPHIS at the Shubert. Curious as to(a) what the view is like from roundabout Row A and (b) what the center-most seat is in that row is - of the orchestra section? I'm booking these tickets for a friend (and) want to make sure that every thing is 'satisfactory' before spending the $. Any and all insight appreciated.

Boundless thanks,
- Mike MEMPHIS - Seating Help

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#2re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 8:44pm

The stage at the Shubert is really high so you might want to consider sitting a little further back. Also I'm pretty sure they sell the first row just as rush, unless they've changed that since opening.

As for centermost seats in the orchestra, that'd be 107-108 if the seating chart I'm looking at is correct.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 8:44pm

When I saw it, I sat in the front row (which is AA, I think), and really had quite a bit of trouble seeing. Granted, I'm not particularly tall, but the stage is both very close and very high, and when the actors weren't right at the edge of the stage, I often couldn't see below their torsos. I'm normally fine with front row seats, but I found this uncomfortable and too close. I would definitely go a couple of rows back.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

sgv123
#3re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 9:04pm

I sat front row on the left for Blithe Spirit. Yes, the stage is high, but I could see ok.

Roscoe
#4re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 9:33pm

The best way to see MEMPHIS is from the Hirschfeld Theatre, where you can see a really intelligent musical of great power and brilliance, as opposed to that inane parade of cliches and warmed over pop tunes called MEMPHIS.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 10/28/09 at 09:33 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 9:39pm

I agree. The best seats for Memphis are in a different theater, seeing a different show.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 10/28/09 at 10:36pm

... it's really not that bad. I was expecting to hate it, and came out feeling like this was just a case of people wanting something to rail on. It's certainly not art, I don't think I would see it again, and it certainly has its problems, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to deter people from seeing it. It's a crowd-pleaser before it's really anything else, but now having seen it myself, I have to say I'm baffled by the degree of vehemence in the responses. I don't want to spark a debate, but that's just my pocket change.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 10/28/09 at 10:36 PM

DRSLOL776 Profile Photo
DRSLOL776
#7re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 11/4/09 at 4:19pm

I saw the show twice. The stage is high as others have said. I don’t recommend sitting in the first few rows. The best view (in my opinion) is on mezzanine rows A or B in the center. Because the mezzanine overhangs the orchestra, you can see the entire stage and you can see the facial expressions pretty well. Don’t mean to ruin it, but there’s a lot going on in Act 2 and it’s awesome to see the entire stage sitting that far up.

musicalsFan
#8re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 11/4/09 at 4:28pm

I enjoyed the show too.

Will I go crazy and see it multiple times? No.
Did I enjoy the time I spent seeing the show? Yes.

Row A is too close. Go to row E or thereabouts.

Since someone mentioned, the Hirschfeld; I saw Hair. It was okay. Honestly, it did not engage me.

I am not sure what purpose it serves to comment how bad a show is when a person is asking about seat locations?

I would bet if you asked someone for directions to a restaurant, and another person butted in and said that that restaurant 'sucked', you would think/say 'get lost, you idiot'. And for those who say that they'd thank the 2nd person, you aren't being honest with yourself.

Updated On: 11/4/09 at 04:28 PM

Hank
#9re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 11/4/09 at 4:33pm

Word of warning: This show is loud!
Avoid front and to the sides unless you want to get blasted by the speakers.

Gloryday225 Profile Photo
Gloryday225
#10re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 11/18/09 at 2:08pm

I'm hoping someone can help me out- I saw Memphis with my friend last Sunday (we've been to the show before). The other times we've rushed we've gotten front row no problem, but this time we arrived at 12:30 (a half hour after the box office opens) and got the last row of the mezz. If anyone has rushed since Sunday, or plans on it, could you let me know if they've changed the rush policy to the mezz instead of front row? I hope not, I really enjoy sitting there.

sgv123
#11re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 11/18/09 at 2:11pm

I rushed for Sat. eve and was about the 7th person in line. Everyone that was in line before me (including myself) got rear mezz seats.

sundaymorning6am
#12re: MEMPHIS - Seating Help
Posted: 12/3/09 at 9:24am

Hey - this isn't exactly a seating question, but I didn't know where else to post this.

I know that Memphis isn't necessarily COUNTRY (at least I don't remember the reading of it that I saw a few years ago being country) but would it say it kind of has that feel? I'm debating taking someone to see it that likes country music. Thanks!

Videos