Mary Poppins, 11/11/09

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#1Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/11/09 at 11:48pm

How was the show tonight? Were both Laura Michelle and Christian on?

I'm planning my trip to New York and I'm really interested in seeing Laura in the show and I'd like to know how both their performances are now that they're well into their run now. I'd like a recent review of them, preferably from tonight even! :)

What can I expect from the show?

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).
Updated On: 11/12/09 at 11:48 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 8:36am

Yo! Its MARY POPPINS not MARRY POPPINS. Even a foreigner new to English knows better grammar than this.

Besides... who wants to marry Poppins, anyway? re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09

re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#2re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 10:24am

Wow

When I think about you, I touch myself.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#3re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 10:57am

I saw the show on the 7th. LMK is absolutely wonderful and she is worth going to see. She won't be with the production for long so I assume she will be in most performances.

Christian Borle, however, was not good. I was lucky enough to see Gavin Lee perform Bert and Gavin was amazing. I know it is not fair to compare, but this comparison has nothing to do with talent. Gavin Lee had been doing Bert for 3 years by the time I saw him and he still gave 100% of himself on stage. He looked like he was having the time of his life and like it was the first time he had been playing the role. Christian already looked bored to me. For me, it looked like he was just going through the motions and all of his scenes were flat. I don't know how you can be so bored playing that part (especially since he had only been doing it for a few weeks.) But he managed to suck the life out of Bert. THis is all my opinion. You may love him.

The rest of the cast is wonderful. But even though CB is not great, LMK is worth the ticket.

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#4re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 12:02pm

^ I saw Gavin L. on tour just a few weeks ago, and he was still phenomenal.

Christian has a bit of a rep for getting bored with his roles after a while (-coughLegallyBlonde-), so it wouldn't surprise me if his Bert is a little dull, though it seems a little too soon for him to be bored already.

Updated On: 11/12/09 at 12:02 PM

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#5re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 3:19pm

I saw the show last night and it was PHENOMINAL!!! I had such a great time at the show. I was a little cautious because I had front row, but I didn't miss anything and I figured out how all of Disney's "magic" works in the show. Christian was out already, which I thought was weird because he was hardly been in the role for a month and was out already, but whatever. His understudy, Matt Loehr, was fabulous. Meeting him at the stagedoor, he said that he really hasn't played Bert for a while because I believe he said he took a break from the show, but it didn't show. On to Laura Michelle Kelly. I don't know what to describe her as except THE BEST FRECKIN PART OF THE SHOW! She was so good, I couldn't believe it. I loved her in "Playing the Game", which I'm still wondering why they changed it because it still is a freaky song.

At the stagedoor, Laura came out and was so nice. I have to say that I fell in love with her English accent. Jenny Galloway came out, but didn't really sign, but I was talking to Juliette Allen Angelo(who was on for Jane last night) and she said it was her so I went over to her and she was so nice. I got a picture and everything with her.

I have heard many mixed reviews of the show and I loved it so much. I am actually going to buy more tickets for it next week. If anyone has the chance to see it, see it now because the cast is fabulous and the show is not lacking energy whatsoever and no one was walking through their role.

angelxschunard
#6re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 3:34pm

Thanks for all the people that actually helped. Forgive me for slipping on the keyboard once in my life and adding ONE extra "r." May I be struck dead by the Broadway Gods for my tiny mistake. And if it was a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake. Thank you very much.

I adore Christian so I'm a bit jaded when it comes to him. I've never seen him bored in something yet, but I'm definately taking your review into consideration, hmpeterson. I saw him in Peter and the Starcatchers at the end of the run and he was phenomenal. Granted the show had changes every single night and maybe that was why he wasn't bored? I don't know.

I'm definately planning to see the show, if only to see Christian again. I'm glad Laura is doing well! I don't know much about her at all but after reading her recent interview to Theatremania, I'm breaking out the Johnny Depp version of Sweeney Todd and watching it for her beggar woman.

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#7re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 3:41pm

"And if it was a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake."

I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk but that sentence is hilarious. And, oh, so ironic. See if you can spot why. re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#8re: Marry Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 3:52pm

angel: I had high hopes for him in this role. I saw him in "Spamalot" and "Legally Blonde" (very early in both productions) and he was great. I really enjoyed his performances.

Which is why I was so disappointed to see his lack of energy playing Bert. Maybe he was sick. Who knows? But the rest of the cast is so good. And I can't say enough about LMK...what a voice and stage presence.

Enjoy the show!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#9re: Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 4:58pm

I saw Juliette as Jane the last time I was at the show and she was adorable! So glad you enjoyed her as well wdwfreak. :)

angelxschunard
#10re: Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 9:15pm

I'm super excited and looking forward to when I see the show.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#11re: Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 9:25pm

When I saw it, I was so happy and thrilled with the production that I started screaming and cheering for everyone onstage during some of the numbers. I made sure I apologized to everyone during intermission, though.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

angelxschunard
#12re: Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 10:54pm

I'm so glad that the world is blessed with your pressence, Millie. It absolutely thrills me that this is the only thing you have to do. Why, without you on these boards, it wouldn't be Broadwayworld!

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#13re: Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/12/09 at 11:01pm

"It absolutely thrills me that this is the only thing you have to do."

Errr, can't the same be said about you?

Sorry.

Updated On: 11/12/09 at 11:01 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: Mary Poppins, 11/11/09
Posted: 11/13/09 at 12:13am

Lol.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 11/13/09 at 12:13 AM

Videos