PETER PAN!

gypsy4
#1PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:26am

for all those PETER PAN fans that are very knowledgeable about the show and it's production rights this summer my Local theatre is puting the Production on! now I know samueal french,inc manages the rights to the original Mary Martin production but I was also wondering if they manage the rights to the rigby production as well or if it is handled by a different company now I love both productions but Love the rigby production better. samuel french,inc listed on there site that they now offered updated newly restored orchestrations! I wonder which orchestrations they are? so if you could please awnser my question that would be wonderful from those of you who recently just did the production?
Updated On: 1/5/10 at 12:26 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:33am

The Rigby production is not licensed for performance at this time.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:41am

You might want to try contacting McCoy/Rigby productions. I believe they offer the score, but not the script. I'm not sure why. The Rigby sets, costumes and props are also available to rent from ZFX.

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#3PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:42am

Yeah, I did the show this summer and know that you can't get the Rigby version legally- of course that doesn't stop some people. If there were a person who would break the law, that person could just type out the scenes from Cathy's recorded version and insert it into the scripts.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/5/10 at 6:54pm

What a user said above is exactly correct. Samuel French will give you the original script and not the Cathy Rigby script. I worked on a production this past summer which used the Rigby re-orchestrations and cut "Mysterious Lady," the Kangaroo/Lion/Ostrich, and Liza ballet. They rented the original set, props and costumes from ZFX which is what Rigby used in the several Broadway and National Touring productions.

Now I am unsure if they acquired the Rigby score from McCoy/Rigby Entertainment or if they obtained it from Samuel French, but they did get it legally and was used with permission. Just make sure you have a great musical director who will be able to match the new music with the old script and you'll be fine.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

chris714
#5PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:41pm

We did the Rigby version at my community theatre, and did it all legally, atleast to my knowledge. It just comes with a more hefty pricetag.

First of all, we had to pay Samuel French as if we were doing the original production. Then we payed a separate company for the re-orchestrated Rigby score. Then we also payed another company for the revised script. The companies would not license us to use the Rigby script/score unless they had proof that we were paying Samuel French as well.

I got all of the contact information for this from McCoy-Rigby. PM me for more details.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#6PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/12/10 at 9:10pm

According to Avid Touring Group, Cathy Rigby will be flying again as Peter Pan starting in the fall of 2011.
http://www.avidtouring.com/attraction.php?id=0031

CATSNYrevival
#7PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/13/10 at 12:18am

That's awesome. Can't wait to see her again.

bwaybabe2
#8PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/13/10 at 2:27am

At first I thought it was some joke...but, seems real!
Another unspoken Bway dream come true! This is truly awesome! Thanks for the heads up! :)

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#9PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/13/10 at 7:30am

She really needs to get another part.

And its about time that boys were cast as Peter Pan. This antiquated use of using women , originally done because of child labor laws, it stupid.

Biff AKA Levi Profile Photo
Biff AKA Levi
#10PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/13/10 at 7:43am

But it's tradition! And don't you be f*ckin' around with it!

"I want a lap dance from an octopus."

-JG2

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#11PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/13/10 at 4:19pm

I remember seeing Mary Martin doing Peter Pan on TV as a kid and asking why Peter Pan was a woman. I just never got that.
How about some Billy Elliot actor playing Peter? Or the reverse -- maybe a woman should play Billy Elliot?

bwaybabe2
#12PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/14/10 at 5:43am

Regardless, it will still be a treat to witness Rigby in the role...

CATSNYrevival
#13PETER PAN!
Posted: 1/14/10 at 6:15am

I love Cathy in the role so it really doesn't bother me that Peter is played by a woman. It's never bothered me. The score was written for a woman to sing. I'm not sure that I would ever be interested in seeing a production of the Charlap/Leigh musical cast with a boy in the role.