pixeltracker

Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night

Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#1Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 10:32am

Anyone else see this? I thought it was a hoot - Heidi Blickenstaff pulled out the stops as Neely O'Hara, Martha Plimpton out-Busched Charles Busch as Anne Wells, Nancy Anderson was hysterical as a totally-out-of-it Sharon Tate. It was raucous, silly fun, with a tight little band and the atmosphere of a party you were glad to be at.

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#2Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 10:37am

Sooooo thrilled to hear this. The adaptation was written by friends of mine and VOD is their baby.

Nice to know it played well in NYC too!!!

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#2Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 10:49am

Uh, Ftworthguy, weren't you in the original staging?!?

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#3Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 11:07am

Uh, yes DB -- I was. :)

broadwayjim42
#4Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 11:07am

I was there and it was a ton of fun. The biggest surprise to me was Martha Plimpton, since I was sort of huh? when I heard the casting. She was amazing...incredible timing and she nailed the Anne Welles voice. Plus the wardrobe...beige, beige, beige.

Barbara Anderson was hysterical and Troy Britton Johnson's channeling of Tony Scotti was downright spooky:)

Heidi, of course, was pretty amazing. Over the top in the best way possible.

It also served as a sort of mini-"Xanadu" reunion...saw several friends and acquaintances from the Helen Hayes days of not so long ago.

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#5Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 11:35am

I thought you looked familiar, Ftworth.

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

Dawn Davenport Profile Photo
Dawn Davenport
#6Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 12:28pm

I was there last night, I thought it was a total riot. I'm still chuckling this morning over Charles Busch's vocalizations as Helen.

There were great little touches, like "Neely's" business with the pearl necklace while she was singing one of the songs, showing that the people who put this production together really studied the movie and knew we'd recognize moments like that. Hilarious!!

Tovah Feldshuh did a lot with the few scenes that Miriam Pilar had.

Martha Plimpton was my favorite---I've only ever seen her on stage in this and Pal Joey and she completely blew me away both times. She's amazing!!!!

Everyone was great, truly. I'm so glad I went!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#7Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 2:30pm

Is this a different adaptation than the Off-Broadway production in 1996?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CWEinDFW Profile Photo
CWEinDFW
#8Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:13pm

Yes, this is a new adaptation that incorporates many of the best parts of the book and scenes inspired by the 1967 movie. It is (in my own opinion) both a loving tribute and a hilarious send up of the original. This particular script (by Doug Miller and Bob Hess) was first produced in Dallas in 2007... I just wish I could have seen it in the big apple!
(I may be somewhat biased as another member of the 2007 Dallas cast)...

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#9Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:19pm

I thought CWE looked familiar, too ...

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#10Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 5:33pm

YES!!! What a fun show... a total laugh riot. Martha was perfect as Anne, but I loved Heidi the most. Her Neely was over-the-top hysterical. It would be great it they revived it in a full production... just like they did at Circle in the Square Downtown in 1996. That production had drag queen Jackie Beat as Helen (including the colored mobiles hitting her in the head) and the wonderful Kate Flannery from "The Office" as Neely Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night

And it was nice seeing you all again... Jim, Ken, Dawn & Robbie. It's been way too long.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

Dawn Davenport Profile Photo
Dawn Davenport
#11Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/16/10 at 5:51pm

Good to see you, Jeff!

gypsy71
#12Actors Fund Valley of the Dolls last night
Posted: 3/17/10 at 12:25am

It was a great show with an excellent turnout and a responsive crowd. My only issue is all the previously announced people who werent there. First Jackson and seiber and then Hunter Bells last minute illness. I flew in for the day just to see the show and really enjoyed it.

Its not where you start its where you finish..

Videos