South Pacific tour?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#1South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 6:36pm

What's the word on the South Pacific tour? I loved everything about the Broadway production. I know the tour is altered a bit to fit proscenium stages, but does it still work? How's the cast? I want to see it, but I'm a little worried about being let down after the perfection I saw on Broadway.

beautywickedlover
#2South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 7:05pm

Well I saw the tour back in December. I enjoyed it very much. The sets were very pretty and I felt like I was transported back in time to World War II. Matthe Saldivar was verry funny as Luther Billis. I didn't see Rod, but enjoyed Jason Howard who played Emile. Carmen Cusack was unfortunatley sick when I went, but Kate Fahrner was wonderful. Carmen has been getting countless rave reviews. Like these:

"The performances and the musicality in this touring production are so compelling - especially from Carmen Cusack as Ensign Nellie Forbush and Rod Gilfry as Emile de Becque - that the lushness of Sher's vision sweeps you up. Cusack's Nellie is very Southern, comically outspoken and a little tomboyish, the epitome of Hammerstein's lyric 'as normal as blueberry pie' - and, as she proved as Elphaba in the Wicked tour that came to Orlando two years ago, she has a big, glorious voice.
- Orlando Sentinel

"Carmen Cusack doesn't sugar coat any part of her Nellie. Cusack's raw and gritty performance outshines any interpretation to be seen to date. Her scene in which she unveils her prejudice to Emile is some of the best acting you will see, and the final scene of the production is an acting triumph for both Pittsinger and Cusack."
- Showbiz Chicago

"Carmen Cusack proved a delightful Nellie Forbush, the optimistic Navy nurse from Little Rock, Ark. Despite Nellie's prideful admission to being a bit of a redneck, Cusack presented herself as anything but. This woman charmed like a Southern belle rather than a hick from the sticks. During the emotional scene in which she reveals her character to be a racist, Cusack's poise made the subject matter palatable, as much as irrational hatred can be. In contrast, her most endearing scene was as the sailor singing 'Honey Bun' and dancing with her grass-skirted 'girlfriend', Matthew Saldivar as the energetic Luther Billis."
- Tampa Tribune

"Carmen Cusack is the 'little hick' from Arkansas, Navy nurse Nellie Forbush, and she wins the audience right away with A Cockeyed Optimist, which is wonderfully expressive, almost melancholy in her twangy phrasing, but she also belts out the bright climax. Cusack reminded me of a young Glenn Close who can sing."
- St. Petersburg Times

"I find Carmen's singing to be the most like Mary Martin of anybody we've worked with. She's got a great sense of style, a real light touch, great wit. She has the ability to phrase in such a way that is very gentle but it sounds like period styling of the language."
- Director Bartlett Sher

"As Nellie, Carmen Cusack vocally and visually brings to mind Mary Martin, who originated the role. She can cavort her way through 'Honey Bun' but also persuade with the character's whipsawing emotions."
- Palm Beach Post

"Carmen Cusack is simply perfect..."
- WFAA-TV Dallas

"Ms. Cusack delivers just the right amount of Southern Belle, strong military woman, and lovestruck gal all rolled into one body. What I found particularly refreshing was her novel approach to the comedy. She actually found delightful, robust new laughs within the book and lyrics that I haven't seen past Nellies attempt on stage before. She discovered a unique approach to the comedy, all slathered in her Southern drawl that resulted in hearty laughs from the audience. She sings in a melodious soprano voice that weaves bewitchingly within the score. She brings the right amount of perkiness and aura of being in love with such songs as "A Cockeyed Optimist," "A Wonderful Guy," and "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair." But she then brings an adult heart of realism, heartbreak, and pain for the darker shades within her characterization. Cusack gives the role a solid dose of uneasiness when she shows her distaste and racial views on Emile's dead wife (who was colored). Ms. Cusack is really outstanding in this production."
- Dallas Pegasus News

As nurse Nellie Forbush, Carmen Cusack fits into this approach marvelously, filling her dialogue with subtle emotional touches and her movements with telling gestures. Her comic timing is expert, especially when manipulating her marked Southern accent, and she sings with charming freshness."
- Raleigh News Observer

http://www.carmencusack.com/

Updated On: 4/14/10 at 07:05 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#2South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 7:15pm

I'm perfectly capable of looking up the official reviews myself and that's not what I was asking for.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 7:20pm

Well actually, one of your questions was partially answered. You did ask about the cast.

Just give the world Love.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#4South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 7:31pm

I was asking for casual opinions, not official reviews. Sorry if I wasn't clear. beautywickedlover is has been harrassing me for a couple years, so I have a very short temper when it comes to him.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#5South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 8:14pm

Is BWL Carmen?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#6South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 8:39pm

LOL nope. He just has a hard-on for her.

#7South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 9:27pm

I saw the show in Chicago with David Pittsinger and Carmen. The staging works well for the venues. I did feel that the 'nothing like a dame' number was a bit crowded due to the plane, but everything else was fine. The cast was talented acting and singing wise. Definitely one of the higher quality tours that I've seen.

beautywickedlover
#8South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 9:42pm

Elphaba3 is overreacting! She simply doesn't understand that I made a mistake when contacting her too much. I also simply asked her a question on a thread why she liked an actress and because of that she thinks that I am obsessed with everything she thinks. I just respect her opinions. I don't agree with everything she thinks. I made some mistakes and I am sorry for them. I will also politley telling her what I thought of the "South Pacific" tour. Updated On: 4/14/10 at 09:42 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#9South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/14/10 at 10:15pm

If you think I came to the conclusion that you're obsessed with me based on one question you asked, you're far more confused that I thought. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the tour.

husk_charmer
#10South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 7:17am

Except Rod Gilfry wasn't in the tour in Dallas...he was off doing "Sound of Music" in France...

I wanted to see it, but there were no discounts, and I just could not justify $35 during that time of the year, for the last row, of a 4th balcony, at a theatre that is tough to get to during the week...or $65 for the same seat on the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

jacobson Profile Photo
jacobson
#11South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 10:35am

I saw the production at the Fox in Atlanta last weekend. It was fabulous. Pretty much all the major players were in and the singing was top notch. My wife looked at me halfway through and simply said that this was the best show of the season(we are season ticket holders). I also thought that it was the best show we saw all season. We were both sorry it ended so soon as we wanted to know more about their relationship.

NGeorgiaBwayFan Profile Photo
NGeorgiaBwayFan
#12South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:22am

I was there last week in Atlanta, too, and I agree with jacobson. I did not get to see the show in New York, but I think it is definitely the best show to come through Atlanta this year and is one of the very best tours I've ever seen.

I loved Carmen Cusack. She had a lovely voice and beautiful diction. Her Nellie was very "real". She reminded me of the great Mary Martin.
Matthew Saldivar was always a scene stealer when onstage as Luther. Anderson Davis as Lt. Cable had a fantastic voice as did Rod Gilfry as Emile -- such a powerful voice.

Set was beautiful, a nice sized orchestra, and an overall lovely evening of theatre.

For a three hour show, I couldn't tell you where the time went.
Go see it if you have a chance. So glad that I did.

"Like the good Lord says . . . Ya gotta take the rough with the smooth, Baby!" Madame Rose

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#13South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 1:24pm

Thanks for your input, guys/gals. I just bought tickets.

jacobson Profile Photo
jacobson
#14South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 1:56pm

While on the subject of the show at the fox..was it me or did you not understand almost anything Bloody Mary said? Is it supposed to be like that so the parts you do understand become more humorous? My wife and I both wondered.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 1:57pm

It opens here in Denver on July 20th. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Just give the world Love.

NGeorgiaBwayFan Profile Photo
NGeorgiaBwayFan
#16South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 3:14pm

jacobson, my husband wondered the same thing about Bloody Mary. He LOVED her, but said she was the hardest to understand of anyone on stage. I don't know if it was intended for her to be hard to understand during dialogue, but I thought you could understand her just fine when she sang -- maybe just knowing the songs, I was filling it in.

"Like the good Lord says . . . Ya gotta take the rough with the smooth, Baby!" Madame Rose

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#17South Pacific tour?
Posted: 4/15/10 at 11:45pm

I saw the show when it was in Tampa in January, and I agree with what everyone else has said. Fabulous, fabulous show. Probably the best I have ever seen come through Tampa (nearly 10 years of season tickets.) Carmen Cusack was a wonder as Nellie, and the rest of the cast was uniformly fantastic. Kate Fahrner in the ensemble steals the show.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#18South Pacific tour?
Posted: 5/24/10 at 12:23am

I saw it yesterday. Initially I was bummed that Carmen Cusack was on vacation, but I loved Kate Fahrner as Nellie. The rest of the cast was meh IMO, as was the scaled-down set. But what a treat to hear that music live again!

Videos