#1Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/21/10 at 2:59pm

2009-10 DRAMA LEAGUE AWARD WINNERS

Distinguished Performance Award -- Alfred Molina, "Red"

Distinguished Production of a Musical -- "Sondheim on Sondheim"

Distinguished Production of a Play -- "Red"

Distinguished Revival of a Musical -- "La Cage aux Folles"

Distinguished Revival of a Play -- "A View from the Bridge"

Also, the following non-competitive awards were presented today, as previously announced:

Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award -- Nathan Lane

Julia Hansen Award for Excellence in Directing -- Kenny Leon

Unique Contribution to the Theatre Award -- Macy's Parade and Entertainment Group

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:20pm

Why doesn't anybody care? lol.

I cannot believe Lansbury has still not won this award.
Updated On: 5/21/10 at 09:20 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:28pm

The Drama League Award is such a strange award though. I think everyone who has beaten Angela has given a better performance than her. I mean, Geoffrey Rush gave far and away the best performance in theatre in 2009, and Alfred Molina is up there for this season. She has gotten one for Unique Contribution to the Theatre though. (I thought it was funny that Patti LuPone had gotten an honorary award before winning one for a performance, too)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:31pm

Yeah, but Lansbury has lost for every single role she's played on Broadway including Mame, Madame Rose, and Mrs. Lovett.

http://dramaleague.org/?page_id=291

Kind of crazy.

Brick
#4Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:43pm

Molina just locked up that Tony race.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#5Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:52pm

A totally irrelevant note of interest: I really enjoy that there were two instances where spouses won back to back: Lunt followed by Fontanne, and two decades later, Tandy was followed by Cronin. Does it mean anything? No. But it made me smile.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/22/10 at 6:25am

I don't think it's fair to say Molina has locked up the Tony race. Drama League voters are anyone, like you or me, who pay a yearly due for their membership and voting rights. Essentially anyone with a wallet can vote for the Drama League Awards. Not the case with the ability to be a Tony voter.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/22/10 at 7:45am

I don't think it's fair to say Molina has locked up the Tony race. Drama League voters are anyone, like you or me, who pay a yearly due for their membership and voting rights. Essentially anyone with a wallet can vote for the Drama League Awards. Not the case with the ability to be a Tony voter.

If you look at the past winners, though, they've almost always gone on to win the Tony. Since 1990, the award has been won by a performer in a Broadway show 17 times. Of those 17 times performers, 11 of them then went on to win the Tony. That's approximately 65%. In the past decade, it's even higher, with 7 out of 9 of the Drama League winners going on to win the Tony.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/22/10 at 9:00am

But the one thing to remember here is that Liev wasn't eligible for the Drama League Award because he already won for Talk Radio. He could still win the Tony. And I still wouldn't count out Denzel. The year Liev won, there wasn't a standout performance except for Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon (and he wasn't eligible for the Drama League since he had won before...sound familiar?). I honestly don't think there is a standout performance this year the way there was when Patti, Christine, Norbert, or Hugh won. Basically, I think Alfred won because there was no standout person to give it to. He is a highly respected actor in film and theatre who happens to be in a critically acclaimed new work. In the last 10 years, Patti is the only person who won the Drama League for a performance in a revival (though Liev in Talk Radio could be considered that, I still think of it as newish since it was Talk Radio's first time on Broadway). In general, the award goes to someone in a new work.

Wow, that was a very long-winded way of saying that Alfred very well MAY win the Tony, but it's far from sealed up. There are too many random variables this year to be sure.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#9Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:56am

"Molina just locked up that Tony race."

no he doesn't. Angela didn't win this and Nathan did who isn't even nominated for a Tony. i don't think a win here necessarily means TONY.

"it's a dirty little war"

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#10Drama League Winners- SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM wins Best Musical
Posted: 5/22/10 at 11:33am

^ I...don't understand the point you're trying to make, Piper. Angela Lansbury and Nathan Lane haven't won before, but I don't think either one of them has been in the same Tony category as a Drama League winner from that season.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad