pixeltracker

Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!- Page 2

Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!

Dollypop
#25Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 3:42pm

Loretta Swit?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Brick
#26Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:02pm

I find it interesting that almost every name that is mentioned for a Mame, is greeted with, "She's a Vera."

Suppose it proves what Herman is saying: it's trickier to cast than one thinks.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#27Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:04pm

I think this thread is more a Vera than a Mame.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

gcal
#28Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:10pm

I think Andrea McArdle would be a great Mame...

Mildred Plotka
#29Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:12pm

She's more of a Gooch.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#30Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:18pm

Great article, Dolly. Congrats.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other go-to girl yet: Kristin Chenoweth. She has all the attributes that Herman mentions plus she's a warm stage presence, much warmer than Marin Mazzie.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Ed_Mottershead
#31Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:31pm

As a devoted Mamist since I saw it onstage with Rosalind Russell in 1957 and the musical with Angela Lansbury in 1966, I think I'm in a position to comment on possible Mames. CZJ seems the most apt, but, alhough I lke her tremendously, I just do not see her as being the ideal Mame. Donna Murphy doesn't show up half the time, Kristin Chenowith doesn't have the sophistication, Marin Mazzie doesn't seem like the right fit. Which leaves us with ?????? A shame, because in the right hands, either as a play or musical, the piece is a delight.

BroadwayEd

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#32Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:34pm

I think it might be near impossible to find a ten year old boy to play Patrick smaller than Kristin Chenoweth...

After seeing her in ANYONE CAN WHISTLE I have to concur with everyone else that Donna Murphy would be the best choice for the role (amongst the Broadway community). I also think Martha Plimpton would be wonderful. Peters could probably pull it off and be wonderful though I think she's more of a Dolly.

There aren't a lot of movie stars the right age with the vocal chops to pull it off. I think Gwenyth Paltrow is more the right type than Zeta Jones. Cynthia Nixon is apparently a good singer - but maybe not enough of a name. I don't see Streep coming back to Broadway in something like this...

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#34Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:04pm

Cynthia Nixon is apparently a good singer

I find that delightful! Never thought of her for musicals, but I agree she has the required skillset for MAME.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#35Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:23pm

Celine Dion

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Gothampc
#36Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:26pm

We've all given some very talented suggestions, but I think we all know who this role really belongs to. A woman who is funny, a woman who is warm, a woman whom everybody loves...

Miss Betty White

I'll start the Facebook petition.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Dollypop
#37Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:38pm

All kidding aside, how about Susan Lucci?

Gothampc
#38Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:39pm

All kidding aside, how about Susan Dey?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mildred Plotka
#39Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:41pm

How about Kim Catrall?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#40Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:43pm

Megan Mulally.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Dollypop
#41Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:46pm

Is Megan Mullaly enough of a LADY?

Dollypop
#42Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:46pm

Do you think Elaine Paige could pull it off?

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#43Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:57pm

Bette Midler!!!! Please

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Gothampc
#44Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:57pm

"Do you think Elaine Paige could pull it off?"

Read Michael Bennett's comment re: Chenoweth.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#45Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:59pm

I LOVE the fact that Dolly couldn't get three word into the interview with saying Carol's name!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Dollypop
#46Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:59pm

Well then, Mullaly is short, too.

othell Profile Photo
othell
#47Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 6:01pm

This I read on another board, and it struck me as odd, but the more I thought about it, well--- how about Cyndi Lauper as Mame? She is unconventional like Mame and has the vocal and comedy chops. Is it just too weird of an idea or what?

Gothampc
#48Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 6:08pm

I think that Cyndi Lauper is a bit too quirky for Mame. I could see her possibly playing Vera, but I don't see her having the grace that is Mame.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#49Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 6:15pm

Glenn Close!!

--Aristotle