Film Broadway Bootlegs

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#25Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:42pm

Bootlegs, while they are illegal and while there are precautions taken to make sure the audience doesn't do it, are actually DESIRED by those who work in the Broadway community.

I've known directors of their own show to "obtain" bootlegs of their productions, and when they stage their show again at a different theater, USE THE BOOTLEG as a reference. I've known actors (sometimes very famous ones) to receive and even give bootlegs as gifts. I've known choreographers, dance captains, and swings to use bootlegs as a reference if the original choreography is being used.

In my experience, more people who work in the theatre community are very appreciative that bootlegs exist than people who cry copyright infringement/illegal. It's a fine line.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#26Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:47pm

And not to mention those pro-shot dance captain videos that LEAK out...

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#27Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:48pm

With Arts Education and Funding almost non-existent, Bootlegs are a great education tool for other artists without access to top notch theatre.

Just like Cast Recordings and published Scripts help Composers and Playwrights to learn their craft.

Bootlegs can help directors,performers and designers learn their craft.

The theatre community needs to learn to embrace and take advantage to electronic media more.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 7/5/10 at 04:48 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#28Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:48pm

Didn't Jackie Hoffman show some chorus girls rehearsing with a bootleg for one of the dance numbers in one of her Addams Family vlogs? It looked like it might have been footage from the stationary house camera. I've just always assumed that the creators had access to videos like that.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#29Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:49pm

What CapnHook said.

With Irma you gotta do something!

TheatreFan4
#30Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:57pm

It looked like it might have been footage from the stationary house camera. I've just always assumed that the creators had access to videos like that.

The quality of those videos are horrible & only serve the purpose of keeping the cast in the loop of when they need to go on.

wicked91 Profile Photo
wicked91
#31Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 4:57pm

"Didn't Jackie Hoffman show some chorus girls rehearsing with a bootleg for one of the dance numbers in one of her Addams Family vlogs? It looked like it might have been footage from the stationary house camera. I've just always assumed that the creators had access to videos like that."

I'm pretty sure it was the stationary house camera. They might have actually just been rehearsing off the live-feed monitors, since Jackie has a lot of time off in ACT II.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#32Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 5:29pm

Film Broadway Bootlegs

It looked like it might have been footage from the stationary house camera. I've just always assumed that the creators had access to videos like that.

The quality of those videos are horrible & only serve the purpose of keeping the cast in the loop of when they need to go on.

Those cameras are mainly for stage management to call the show. Stage managers on Broadway are typically in the wings and they have several monitors with different views of the stage (or problem areas for safety). Most of these cams are infrared as well so that the stage manager can see what's happening in the dark. You'll often see infrared illuminators like the one pictured here hanging amongst the lighting equipment on the balcony rail.

traveler2
#33Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 5:30pm

I was at Jersey Boys about 4 years ago and sitting on the aisle about 5th row. Just as the opening number started, an usher screamed in my left ear, "turn those cameras off". It startled the crap out of me because she came out of nowhere. I looked to my right and 3 people in my row were filming the production. The usher turned around to leave and said "you too" to a guy behind me on the other side of the aisle. He had a camera attached to his belt and had got caught when he tried to pull his coat over the camera.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#34Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 5:38pm

The big, burly usher/security at Promises, Promises was scary and horrific!
Updated On: 7/5/10 at 05:38 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#35Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 5:55pm

Good thread, although I get the feeling that it might be deleted soon.

I too, have no problem with bootlegs. I agree that many of the people who condemn them would probably jump at the chance to see bootleg footage of Merman in Gypsy or of Martin in The Sound of Music. I really, really think that the theater community should embrace them.

I know the argument is that people wont come see a show if they can see it free online, but that really doesn't hold a lot of water seeing as there are tons of bootleg Wicked and Phantom vids on youtube and as you can see, their box office intake has not suffered one bit. In fact, the videos seem to have the OPPOSITE effect: they make people excited to see the show live.

And frankly, as quality video cameras get smaller and smaller it's going to be so much harder to stop people from filming shows. They're never going to be able to keep everyone from doing it so they might as well embrace it.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 7/5/10 at 05:55 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:26pm

What's a bootleg? Wink Wink

Poster Emeritus

TheatreFan4
#37Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:28pm

I see why they are kept illegal, because if they were allowed people wouldn't be discreet & it would get very irritating to the performers and audience very fast.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#38Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:39pm

Theatre in this country isn't going to get strong again until there is a large scale desire to see theatre again.

Such a desire and tradition for and of theatre going has only been helped by bootlegs.

Broadcast of SWEENEY TODD and INTO THE WOODS on PBS only increased the popularity of those shows and made more production more likely.

I wonder if the film version of TODD would have happened if the video of the tour hadn't kept the show popular.

I suspect it is BECAUSE of bootlegs shows like WICKED and PHANTOM have inspired people to actually consider visiting NYC or checking out the touring versions.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#39Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:45pm

Last saturday I saw the Dreamgirls tour in Philadelphia and 5 minutes into the show, somebody was blatantly taking pictures, WITH FLASH, every 10 seconds for a good 10 minutes. I was in the amphitheatre, some 70 feet up, and on the orchestra level I heard somebody struggling and shouting and then the door slammed shut. :0

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#40Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:49pm

The swings, Val and Samantha, that Jackie Hoffman showed on her vlog were following along with the show from the live feed camera. Since they're on standby, it's probably much more helpful to get as much practice and into the show as you can incase u do all of the sudden have to go on. So yea, they were just kind of following along with the show with the live feed camera.

Jon
#41Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:56pm

The real reason they don't want you taking photos of the set before or after the show?

MONEY!!!

If you want a photo of the set, you have to spend $20 for a souvenir program.

It's the same reason you can't take photos in many museums. They want to to go to the gift shop and buy postcards.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#42Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 6:56pm

I see why they are kept illegal, because if they were allowed people wouldn't be discreet & it would get very irritating to the performers and audience very fast.

Good point. I should have said I have no problem with people filming shows as long as it doesn't interfere with the actors or the rest of the audience.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#43Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 7:11pm

Marissa Jaret Winokur received a VHS tape of HAIRSPRAY's opening night as a gift from a stage door fan. Winokur then gave that bootleg to her standby so that it could assist her in memorizing her track.

Bootlegs are a very resourceful tool when you are staging a production. (That is, if you're using the same set and/or same direction).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#44Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 7:42pm

I have always wondered this myself. Filming a show would be very hard to do. Especially in the smaller Broadway houses. I do think audience members should be allowed to take pictures of the curtain and stage before the show and at intermission though. There is no harm in it and a lot of people don't even know it is prohibited until they get yelled at by an usher.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#45Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 8:00pm

Well you all just better hope I'm not seated near you because I will happily report any illegal filming or picture taking before during and after the show. You want picture, buy the souvenir book.

As for the many tapes circulating,. there was a time when permission could be sought and granted for those associated with the show to film it for their private archives withe the express agreement that the tapes not be copied and traded or sold. Whne that started happening the permissions were denied and ushers alerted to be more vigilant.

My problem is the picture takers are not "into" the show..too busy trying to sneak a photo.

And don't get me started on people whipping out their cell phones and texting devices at intermission/ There is no earthly reason why your texts can't wait until the show is over and you are outside the theatre. I wish theatres would install blocking devices so cell phones and such could not be used in the theatres at all.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

TheatreFan4
#46Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 8:03pm

And don't get me started on people whipping out their cell phones and texting devices at intermission/ There is no earthly reason why your texts can't wait until the show is over and you are outside the theatre.

That is ridiculous. If people want to take them out at intermission then LET them. The intermission is a break in the show, there is nothing wrong with having your phone out.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#47Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 8:19pm

Agreed - there is no reason why a patron shouldn't use their cell phones during intermission. Just as long as they ensure that when Act II begins, it is on silent.

I'd rather an audience member use it during intermission than during the performance!

--Aristotle

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#48Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 8:24pm

I know some people get all high and mighty about how wrong it is but i think they also do a lot of good. One of the plays i wrote i was recorded by an audience member and traded around and i was thrilled lol.

I also think with so many shows closing early, becoming forgotton etc that sometimes its a good thing. I have 100s of them and im not afraid to say that. Some shows like Bring Back Birdie or Annie 2 that will never be seen again.

I also was 'that' person who first ever got hold of the Carrie Stratford DVD from the RSC Archive centre and traded that out, that copy has now become known world over and allowed many fans to find that show for the first time.

However when there is 5000 copies of Wicked filmed by the loony Wicked fans who film a new one everytime a new swing is added i think it gets a bit silly.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#49Film Broadway Bootlegs
Posted: 7/5/10 at 8:30pm

frontrow, you don't own any bootlegs at all? Not even audio recordings?

I think it's a shame (and please don't think I'm picking on you individually) when people so into theater can't see the value in these recordings or if they do and still feel the desire to stop them. I'm not afraid to admit that I listen to my full audio recording of THE SOUND OF MUSIC with Mary Martin all the time and my opening night audio recording of FOLLIES is on my most played list and has been for years. I thank the theater Gods nightly things like that exist!

And would knowing that Sondhieim himself boots his shows change anyone's opinion of them? His wanting them preserved is the same as anyone else even if that means you have to sneak that damn camera in there and do it yourself.