9 to 5 Tour

theatrecr8zy Profile Photo
theatrecr8zy
#2259 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/31/10 at 9:55pm

Anyone know if they have or are going to come out w/ a souvenir program for the tour?? I saw it in Charlotte and the only merch they had were t-shirts , some Dolly stuff and magnets and what not ... I'd like to somehow get one since I get one for every show I see

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2269 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/31/10 at 10:09pm

30%? I find that hard to believe.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BenThomas
#2279 to 5 Tour
Posted: 11/1/10 at 9:59am

I saw the show in Tampa last week, and asked the merch table about a souvenir program. The woman said that the layout is done, and the photos placed. They are waiting on the final approval of the text. She said it should come along in about six weeks, and she told me to check the store on playbill.com because it will be sold through that website.

ABoyLikeThat
#2289 to 5 Tour
Posted: 11/19/10 at 7:17am

Two more stops have been added to the tour, Dallas and Toronto.

Two really positive reviews:

Variety review: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117944076/
BWW review

dutch46mill2
#2299 to 5 Tour
Posted: 11/21/10 at 6:31pm

George Bush Sr. and Barbara Bush were at last night performance and B.B. asked Diana to pose for a picture with her.Dolly showed up too . Houston is enjoying this 2 week stop. This is a good show.
Updated On: 11/21/10 at 06:31 PM

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#2309 to 5 Tour
Posted: 11/22/10 at 3:50pm

Off topic but didn't want to have to start a new thread. Can someone post a link to the artwork (mentioned in another thread, I think) that was origanally used before L.A?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

jamiekennywicked
#2319 to 5 Tour
Posted: 12/10/10 at 5:06pm

BUMP. Has anyone seen the tour recently?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

FrontRowFirst Profile Photo
FrontRowFirst
#2329 to 5 Tour
Posted: 12/12/10 at 8:50pm

I saw it today in San Antonio. Had a great time. I saw the show once in New York and did notice it was scaled back quite a bit, but it's still a fun show. Mamie Parris was the standout in my opinion.

NPHCreel
#2339 to 5 Tour
Posted: 12/28/10 at 7:33pm

A review from the Lansing, Michigan tour stop:
"As Doralee, the big-haired, buxom, squeaky-twanged object of Hart’s lust, DeGarmo doesn’t merely impersonate Parton: she expertly recreates Parton’s original portrayal, yet still effectively makes the character feel fresh. DeGarmo takes nothing for granted, really working to make us believe that she’s got a heart of gold pounding behind that ample bosom and an actual brain humming beneath that blond wig. Her hypnotic stage presence and out-of-this-world voice demand your full attention at all times."

From the current Naples, Florida stop:
"Dee Hoty brings depth and wisdom to the Lily Tomlin role, overloaded and underpaid Violet Newstead. Hoty has the same magnetic stage presence - she even manages to sell the somewhat ridiculous hospital scene where the girls think they've poisoned Mr. Hart (Joseph Mahowald, a fantastic sport, considering the abuse he takes each night). The "One of the Boys" number - after Violet assumes control of the company - might be one of the best of the night visually."
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/dec/28/review-diana-degarmo-nine-five-9-5-philharmonic/

Link

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#2349 to 5 Tour
Posted: 12/28/10 at 8:07pm

I reallllly enjoyed the tour when I saw it. I thought the changes from Broadway to the tour were wonderful. It was basically a whole new creation of the tour. I loved every minute of it. The cast is incredibly talented. I cannot say enough good words about them all.

Marie2
#2359 to 5 Tour
Posted: 2/26/11 at 2:44am

2 reviews from recent tour stops (St. Louis and Tempe):
From St. Louis:

"9 to 5" was the country superstar's first movie role, and Dolly's been an appealing presence throughout her long career. But with her major involvement, the play skewers heavily in her favor. Her character Doralee, the boss's hubba-hubba secretary who the other gals don't like because they think she's the noxious Franklin Hart's mistress, sure is perky, dispensing down-home wisdom and a never-say-die attitude. Folks cotton to that. Diana DeGarmo, the "American Idol" Season 3 runner-up at age 16, is all grown up now at 23, looking nothing like she did seven years ago. She's still vivacious and has a terrific voice, but she has a va-va-voom, quality playing Dolly's comely character. She was a standout.

Mamie Parris is impressive as the meek Judy Bernly, as played by Jane Fonda in the movie, who needs a job because her scoundrel husband has dumped her for a younger woman (named Mindi with an "i"). Her big brassy solo number "Get Out and Stay Out" was perhaps the strongest on opening night."

From Tempe:
"Something must also be said for DeGarmo’s depiction of Dolly Parton’s famous role, Doralee Rhodes. Doralee grows as a character throughout the musical, but more importantly, DeGarmo did extraordinarily well holding on to the essence of Parton and staying away from the persona she developed on “American Idol.”
Everything was perfect for the part. She was proportional to Parton, her accent was just as sweet and Southern as Parton’s and her voice was fabulous for the role.
If you’re familiar with DeGarmo’s work, you might be able to pick up on her voice as it comes through when she sings some of the lower notes. Watching her in the role was fabulous — she wasn’t just an imitation of Parton; she owned the role in her own way."

http://ow.ly/43R3W

Link to St, Louis review

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#2369 to 5 Tour
Posted: 2/26/11 at 10:13pm

Let's face it, the reason most of the local papers go nuts for DeGarmo is because she's a caricature of a character and can be name-checked to Idol. Rarely do they mention her legit credits, whether it be in St Louis or San Antonio.

Furthermore, most local reviewers rarely have the cred of having seen the original Broadway cast. They often write a slew of reviews for various art forms... Theatre, and more so musical theatre, isn't their main forte. I trust most 'local' reviews as much as I take the word of Glenn Beck as God.

BN

NPHCreel
#2379 to 5 Tour
Posted: 2/27/11 at 2:53am

I have a feeling based on your tone, that if the local reviewers were all horrible you'd be more than willing to take their word for it.

DeGarmo was on idol, what? Seven or eight years ago? I hardly see all of the reviewers going nuts over her. Plenty haven't. Maybe, just maybe, the ones who did just really enjoyed her. Seems like the height of theatre snobbery to act like a reviewer in the midwest or southwest who likes her, the show, or other castmembers, is simply too stupid (??) to know that they are supposed to hate the show.

Marie2
#2389 to 5 Tour
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:25pm

I saw the show a couple months ago and thought all the leads were well cast and enjoyable. The show itself drags a bit in the first act and I don't love the entire score but, like on Broadway, the 3 ladies do a great job with what they have to work with. Dee, Diana, and Mamie have great chemistry. I walked out a little underwhelmed by the show itself but loved the cast.

jamiekennywicked
#2399 to 5 Tour
Posted: 2/27/11 at 3:58pm

Has anyone got the chance to see Ryah Nixon as Doralee yet? I heard her on a certain website, and she sounded amazing.

Also: Can someone outline the changes made for the tour, please? :)