pixeltracker

Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ cast recording

Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ cast recording

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ cast recording
Posted: 8/9/10 at 3:17pm

I just got an iTunes card and I was contemplating purchasing the album for THE BOY FROM OZ. I love hearing Hugh Jackman sing. Is it worth purchasing the entire album or should I get only a few select songs?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 8/9/10 at 03:17 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#2Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 3:20pm

I'd change the title of the thread to Cast Recording, if I were you... before the meanies start hatin'.

Anyway, it's a fun enough album, but nothing really of substance. Some nice singing from Jackman and Block, though!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#2Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 3:20pm

Double post, sorry.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Updated On: 8/9/10 at 03:20 PM

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#3Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 4:05pm

get select songs, save your money for something better. if you want a list of the songs I would buy, pm me.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#4Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 5:52pm

I have the album because I bought the CD when I was younger, but I'd say really just buy Rio, Everything Old is New Again, Once Before I Go, I Still Call Australia Home, The Lives of Me, Bi-Coastal, Not the Boy Next Door, and I'd Rather Leave While I'm in Love (and if you like Stephanie J. Block, any of her songs). So basically, all of HIS songs plus the duet between him and Stephanie. There is another one but I find myself listening to these more than anything else.

The Best of Times is Now!

husk_charmer
#5Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 8:45pm

I actually really like the vast majority of the album, save "Don't Cry Out Loud" (Largely b/c it's just awkward to hear it sung by Beth Fowler)

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#6Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 8:53pm

I don't think the entire thing is worth having unless you're a collector. I like "The Lives of Me", "Only An Older Woman", "Don't Wish Too Hard", "Quiet Please, There's a Lady on Stage", "She Loves to Hear the Music", "Not the Boy Next Door", and "Once Before I Go" best of the lot. There are better versions of the other songs I didn't list to be found on other recordings if you're truly interested in the work of Peter Allen.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

jo
#7Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:08pm

TENTERFIELD SADDLER was dropped from the show but was restored as part of the bonus track on the cast recording -- it is a beautiful and poignant song and would have made an equally appropriate eleven o'clock number for the Broadway production. When the show returned to Australia, in a more concert-like format, Tenterfield Saddler kept the attention of the huge crowds ( 10,000-plus seater arenas) and you could hardly hear a whisper.

As many of the songs came from the pop music catalog of Peter Allen, they can really be stand-alone songs although an effort was made to put them together to give us a musical biopic.

I would recommend getting the cast recording! Not just to get a feel of the show, but most of the songs, individually, are memorable hits from the past.

Updated On: 8/9/10 at 10:08 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/10/10 at 6:16am

Very enjoyable

Poster Emeritus

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#9Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/10/10 at 10:01am

You might like to search for the original Australian Cast CD.

musicman_bwayfan
#10Opinions on THE BOY FROM OZ soundtrack
Posted: 8/10/10 at 3:26pm

I'd buy the physical CD.

And yes, I see that you said you've got an ITUNES gift card, but use the gift card for something else and buy a hard copy of the recording. Updated On: 8/10/10 at 03:26 PM