pixeltracker

Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film- Page 4

Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#75Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:18pm

Oh what a shame. I was hoping for Jessica Lange, who would knock this out of the park.

Ugh, Lange would chew so much scenery, there'd hardly be any movie theatres left in America after she's through with them. Streep's hardly the best choice, but to say that Lange's histrionics would be better is hardly accurate either. I wish they had gone with one of the more interesting, somewhat underrated older actresses like Sissy Spaceck, Diane Keaton, Ellen Burstyn, Glenn Close, Susan Sarandon, etc; unfortunately, they don't sell movie tickets the way Streep does and these are the Weinsteins after all.

Portman is way too young for Ivy, the character is in her early 40s, Portman just turned 30. Marisa Tomei would do wonders with a role like this, though she's more of a natural for Karen.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

FindingNamo
#76Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:48pm

Giving that it's basically a sitcom, I think these actors might make something out of it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#77Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 11:06pm

Giving that it's basically a sitcom-

I think I'd say soap opera meself- I mean- the "He's your brother" is something outta "As the Stomach Turns" from the Burnett show.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#78Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 11:07pm

I really love this play. I'd so hoped it would be Sissy Spacek and Laura Linney, but I guess not.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#79Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 8:44am

Agree Portman is way too young for Ivy.

Tomei is a wonderful idea but she'd have to tone down her looks, which she can certainly do. Carrie Preston seems the perfect Karen to me.

And please, please, please, Kathleen Turner or Kate Nelligan or Angelica Huston as Mattie Fay! I had always hoped that Laurie Metcalf would have played Barbara.

Spacek would have been incredible as Violet. Jessica Lange would have been great and it might have also offered the interesting stunt casting of Sam Shepard as Beverly. Not only Jessica's partner (well, no longer....) but, like Beverly, a man of letters. And he would have been superb in the role. He'd still be a wonderful choice for the role.

But to me I always longed for a much older Violet, a great last movie role for Lansbury, Woodward or Laurie, each of whom seems ideal. Lansbury especially would have been fierce, amazing and it would have been career-crowning. I know Letts stage directions say Violet's in her mid 60s. But one thing I never understood is this: the older generation in August is supposed to represent, ironically, setting up that very funny scene for Karen, Barbara, and Ivy in the last act - "the greatest generation" If they are, that would mean they were young men and women during World War II.

But if the "matriarch" is only 65, she would have been born shortly after the war, not part of the war effort. With three daughters well into middle age, there is no reason Violet can't be far older, thereby bridging American history in the way this great and hilarious passage from the play (if not a trump-able stage direction) suggests.

Updated On: 2/17/12 at 08:44 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#80Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 9:45am

Looking forward to this! Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#81Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 1:55pm

Please, please, Mary Louise Parker as Ivy.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

FindingNamo
#82Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 2:30pm

sabrelady, I was surprised when I saw it how taken in the audience was by everything. I remember thinking it was just Mama's Family with cursin'.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#83Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 2:34pm

There are days when you think, 'I'm all alone in the world. I'm the only one who feels this way. I can never tell anyone how I really feel.' And then, someone comes along and states clearly, 'No...I'm just like you. It gets better.'

Thank you, Namo. I thought I was the only one who felt this play was a bit absurd. Entertaining as hell. But absurd.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#84Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 2:48pm

To me, this play was like watching Christopher Durang's first draft attempt at realism. He started typing and didn't know when to stop.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#85Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 3:17pm

Margo Martindale for Mattie Fae please!

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#86Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 3:30pm

I'll second the idea of Margo Martindale as Mattie Fae!

Clarkson could not handle the caliber of acting needed for Barbara. No way. I'm slowly gaining respect for Clarkson for an actress after her horrendous performance in the T.V. 2002 version of Carrie, but I seriously doubt it.

This could possibly be the single-most ridiculous post I've ever seen on Broadway World. Clarkson is one of the best actresses alive, period. You're going to based Clarkson's entire acting ability on a single performance in a TV movie? I'm guessing you didn't bother to see PIECES OF APRIL, THE STATION AGENT, FAR FROM HEAVEN, THE DYING GAUL, HIGH ART, ELEGY, THE SAFETY OF OBJECTS, MARRIED LIFE, her Emmy-winning performance on SIX FEET UNDER, her stage work in THREE DAYS OF RAIN, RAISED IN CAPTIVITY, EASTERN STANDARD, etc. No. She's a low-caliber of actress because she was in a TV remake of CARRIE.

By those standards, half the actors in Hollywood who've done TV movies are irredeemable.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#87Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 3:47pm

Oh, AC. That comment was so beyond the pale that I thought no one would even bother responding. But I'm glad you did. It's one of the crazier things I've ever seen written here. And that's saying something. Though you didn't mention that she was an Oscar nominee for Pieces of April. But you're forgiven. Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#88Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 3:50pm

I felt it needed to be said, dear Robbie.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#89Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/17/12 at 3:53pm

I loved in Easy A. I know it was a fluff role but her chemistry with Stanley Tucci was just to good not to mention.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#90Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/18/12 at 10:26am

I think I've finally come up with the perfect Ivy:

Jennifer Ehle.

Love Martindale,for Mattie - thought it's hard for me to give up on my dream of Turner, who seems an ideal match for Streep!

Updated On: 2/18/12 at 10:26 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#91Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/18/12 at 11:48am

Mary Louise Parker is as good as you can get for Ivy. Given that WEEDS will have finished shooting its final season by the end of the summer, I really hope we see her involved in this come the fall.

I have a feeling they may end up casting Karen a little younger than she's written in the play in order to emphasize the age difference between the sisters. If that's the case, Amy Adams would be pretty terrific in the role, though the suggestion I read elsewhere of Marisa Tomei is also one I really, really like.

Kathy Bates would be anyone's first choice for Mattie Fae, but if her television series prevents her from being able to participate, I agree that Margo Martindale would be an equally exciting possibility.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 2/18/12 at 11:48 AM

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#92Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/18/12 at 2:02pm

I had always hoped that Laurie Metcalf would have played Barbara.

Metcalf didn't even get to play the part on Broadway! And I would have thought it would have been something that she could have done...She was IN NYC at the time, was a Steppenwolf Company member, had a relationship with Estelle Parsons from Roseanne...and because of that a bit of a "name" too!