VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!

BehindTheCurtains
#1VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/7/10 at 11:39pm

Has anyone else gotten a chance to see Venus Flytrap at the Workshop Theatre on W.36th?? This show is AMAZING! I went to check it out since Marcia Milgrom Dodge was directing it - she directed Ragtime on Broadway which I loved - so I checked out the show. Fantastic!! If you haven't seen it, make it a definite part of your to-do list this week. They close this Sunday I think. In my opinion, Venus Flytrap should be ON BROADWAY!!

Here's the website that I checked out to get the tix - www.theactivetheater.com plus industry people and equity folk get in for free with their card. This kind of show makes me grateful that there is some great raw theater still left in the city.....

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#2VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/8/10 at 1:25am

Late night doobie sessions with Johnny Fever!
Who would play Les Nessman?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/8/10 at 1:51am

Hmmmm....my spidey-senses are tingling.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/8/10 at 11:26am

Pay no attention to the shill BehindTheCurtains.

I don't mind shills so much when they shill openly, but the whole act of pretending they are just an enthusiastic audience member is about as tired and believable as the Kenyan Ambassador who just wants me to "hold" some funds in my account for them.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#4VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/8/10 at 3:54pm

Well, I have tickets for Saturday, and have heard some good things. I would not worry too much about shilling because the tickets are so cheap - expecially for New York. I am looking forward to it.

Bruised Muse Profile Photo
Bruised Muse
#5VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/8/10 at 4:10pm

Wishful thinking.

Andrew3
#6VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 3:34pm

I saw Venus Flytrap opening weekend and loved it! I was impressed with the amount that was achieved in the intimate space of The Workshop Theater. It is clear that there is a professional group of people working together to tell a story that is topical (with issues surrounding sexuality and our acceptance of it), and delivered through a charming lens of wit and style (1940's film noir), that I agree should see a larger audience. This is the first Active Theater production I have seen and I look forward to the next. Congrats to all!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#7VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 3:44pm

A cold shill just went down my spine.
Updated On: 11/9/10 at 03:44 PM

Bruised Muse Profile Photo
Bruised Muse
#8VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 4:18pm

Perhaps the show could be renamed "Sockpuppetry of the Venus."

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#9VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 7:11pm

The Backstage review wasn't too good.

"Venus Flytrap" is missing a key element that drives classic noir: suspense. Playwright Anthony Dodge, married to the director [Marcia Milgrom Dodge], includes the obligatory mistaken identities and last-minute reveals, but there is little immediacy to this production's twists with such lingering emphasis on the static tableaux. An uneven cast magnifies these faults. The real mystery in "Venus Flytrap" is the production's ambiguous attitude toward the genre that inspired it. Besides its clear visual tribute to 1940s film noir, the production alternates between homage and critique, unsure whether to deconstruct the genre or reinvent it. What results is a watered-down version of classic noir that broaches gender issues without making a statement.
Venus Flytrap The Active Theater at the WorkShop Theater Reviewed by Nicole Villeneuve

Spotlight2
#10VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 8:29pm

What is this discussion actually about? Shills or actually going out to see live theatre? Whether it's Venus Flytrap, Through the Night, La Cage or whatever....watch some theater and appreciate. Don't artists support one another anymore? Whoa.

BehindTheCurtains
#11VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 8:50pm

Nice. You left out a few things from the review tho:

"Director Marcia Milgrom Dodge adroitly mirrors the images associated with film noir, giving the production a cinematic quality. These images are aided by lighting designer Paul Miller's keen awareness of the genre, defined both in name and in style by its cautious approach to light. Elbrick, whose performance in 2007's "Coram Boy" garnered her a Tony nomination and a Theater World Award, plays fluently with the jive idiom that runs throughout Dodge's script; her wry smile, emerging from beneath the brim of her hat, adds to her charm." And other mentions as well.

Not all shabby as you can see. Any other reviews we can compare this to?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 9:46pm

My senses are telling me that Elbrick is BehindTheCurtains.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BehindTheCurtains
#13VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/9/10 at 10:06pm

Check your senses.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14VENUS FLYTRAP ON BROADWAY!!
Posted: 11/10/10 at 12:56am

I know Elbrick. It ain't her.

Videos