Matt Caplan in American Idiot

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#1Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:21pm

I know he played Tunny when the show was at Berkley. Anyone know why he didn't continue with the production to broadway?

Mattbrain
#2Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:37pm

I heard it was because he was difficult to work with. I don't know any specifics though.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:40pm

Not sure if this has anything to do it, but he was having vocal difficulties during in Berkeley.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#3Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:42pm

He was let go because he was difficult to work with.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:47pm

Did he clean up his act for Spider-Man? I can't imagine Julie putting up with any of that.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:49pm

He's also the Spider-Man understudy. So I assume they like him over there.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#6Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 9:53pm

Was he singing the Spider-man role while TV Carpio sang Mary Jane on 60 minutes?

Mattbrain
#7Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/9/10 at 10:13pm

What exactly happened in American Idiot?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

gcal
#8Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/10/10 at 2:20am

He also looked about 20 years older than everyone else on the stage.

jepriy Profile Photo
jepriy
#9Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/10/10 at 3:47am

I was really bummed when I learned he was not part of the B'way cast. I saw the show on Berkeley 3 times and he was a fave. Got to meet him and he was nice and outgoing. Hopefully he was let go not coz of his attitude but by bec SS is more famous than him.

"dreams don't die so keep an eye on your dream" - Merrily We Roll Along

Ariella Profile Photo
Ariella
#10Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/10/10 at 1:45pm

They decided to re-audition the role after Berkeley for several reasons and the whole process was a bit ugly. But Caplan was definitely not let go because Stark Sands is more famous - Sands auditioned like everyone else.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/10/10 at 1:46pm

I've heard varying reasons- that he was difficult to work with, that he thought the score was too vocally demanding, etc. Who knows what the truth is?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#12Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/10/10 at 1:49pm

Whenever an actor is replaced after an out of town try-out, it's because they are difficult to work with.

I know this is true because I've been reading Broadwayworld for a while.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Ariella Profile Photo
Ariella
#13Matt Caplan in American Idiot
Posted: 12/10/10 at 10:46pm

Kad: all of the above. Caplan was dropped somewhat unceremoniously for the reasons you mentioned, and Mayer et al felt the role wasn't going where they wanted it to.

Latest Posts

Videos