pixeltracker

Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero- Page 5

Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#100Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 2:34am

I think Wicked needs alternates for Elphaba, due to the wear and tear on the voice. Eden Espinosa’s voice in San Francisco was…not good. Marcie Dodd usually took one or two shows off a week in San Francisco. Sure, some of the Elphaba go eight times a week, but that doesn’t mean they sound good.

I think the Germans got it right with their alternate system for WICKED.

rmusic11322
#101Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 10:38am

Being the huge show it is, does even Wicked's lottery die down a bit after the holidays?

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#102Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 2:36pm

Does Oberhausen 6/2 Elphaba alternate rotation?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#103Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 2:38pm

Was that a rhetorical response to the question above it?

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#104Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 3:34pm

Ooops sorry, stupid phone/internet!
Does the German production have the lead do 6 shows and s/b/alternate do 2?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#105Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 3:51pm

I hate to say it like this, but after Aaron leaves CMIFY (I'm convinced it will be a big hit), Kyle would be a great Frank Abagnale Jr. Kyle and Aaron just seem so similar, I like them both equally, but in completely different ways!

Kyle is rolling up on thirty, too...he should stop playing teenagers.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

iloveidinamenzel Profile Photo
iloveidinamenzel
#106Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 8:43pm

I saw Kyle in Next To Normal. I can't stand his whiney voice. He is nothing like Aaron Tveit. I didn't see him in Wicked, so I'll save that judgment for now.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#107Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 9:06pm

But do you still love Idina Menzel?

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#108Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/24/10 at 9:25pm

Now now its all a personal taste in music.

inick, I believe that Willemijn (Principle German Elphaba) does all the evening performances (which is a total of 6 shows a week)
Her alternate/standby Roberta Valentini does the matinee's (2 shows) and I believe it's customary in German Theater that the understudy will go on at least once a month during a matinee...at least that's what I heard.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

rmusic11322
#109Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/25/10 at 1:26am

inick122492, I'm not that much of a Wicked fan to know the answer, but I'll take that as a yes.

singtome8
#110Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/25/10 at 11:59am

In response to saying that Teal hasn't worked since her run as Elphaba in SF- that's not true. She's working in a new musical at the A.R.T. called The Blue Flower right now. She was phenominal, and her voice sounded great. I don't know what technique(or lackthereof) she was using in Wicked, but her voice was absolutely lovely and her placement for the higher notes sounded spot on. Of course the material she was singing is not nearly as vocally demanding as Wicked, but let's hope she takes how she was singing in Boston with her to New York.

iloveidinamenzel
#111Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/25/10 at 12:17pm

But do you still love Idina Menzel?

Irrelevant, but yes. I'll reinforce my love for her after I see her with the NYPhil Feb. 5th :)

beautywickedlover
#112Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/31/10 at 2:01pm

Kyle might only be doing a limited run because people from the first national tour are saying that Richard H. Blake is going to play Fiyero on Broadway.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#113Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/31/10 at 2:07pm

"Kyle might only be doing a limited run because people from the first national tour are saying that Richard H. Blake is going to play Fiyero on Broadway."

Talk about people who need to stop playing teenagers.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#114Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/31/10 at 2:13pm

Just what they need, another Fiyero in his late 30's.

beautywickedlover
#115Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 11:13am

A couple of sources are saying that the castmember mispoke about Richard.

Claire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
#116Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 12:06pm

In the debate as to whether anyone can play Elphaba for more than 10 months and survive - Kerry Ellis played her for around 2 years. Taking over from Idina in Jan 2007 and leaving the London production in May 2009 with the Broadway run in between. Her voice is still in place and she took up another musical very soon after. Admittedly she broke herself early on in the run (on the first night almost) but she seemed to learn from that and recover.

I agree however that the use of an alternate would help the majority of actresses and wouldn't serve as a hindrance to the show. Heck the day queue in London was almost always at it's heaviest when a stand by was on.

Anyhow - I'm in the city in early Feb and I was considering Wicked as a show to see, however the reviews here of Teal don't fill me with excitement.

iloveidinamenzel
#117Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 12:15pm

In the debate as to whether anyone can play Elphaba for more than 10 months and survive - Kerry Ellis played her for around 2 years. Taking over from Idina in Jan 2007 and leaving the London production in May 2009 with the Broadway run in between. Her voice is still in place and she took up another musical very soon after. Admittedly she broke herself early on in the run (on the first night almost) but she seemed to learn from that and recover.

From what I've heard - Kerry Ellis was great the first time she played in London. I never got a chance to get over there until Rachel Tucker had taken the role (she was my all time favorite). Anyway, I DID get to see Kerry on Broadway, on her last matinee - and let me tell you - disappointment doesn't cover it. She cracked a few times, and went into head voice during Defying Gravity. This was consistently how she performed in NY. I wouldn't use her to argue your point.

As far as women who can "survive more than 10 months" - think about Dee Roscioli?

Fuzzbear
#118Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 12:38pm

I think Wicked needs alternates for Elphaba, due to the wear and tear on the voice. Eden Espinosa’s voice in San Francisco was…not good. Marcie Dodd usually took one or two shows off a week in San Francisco.

Eden's problems were due to San Francisco-induced allergies, as she frequently tweeted. I believe she said she'd never work there long-term again.

Marcie's absences were apparently not related to vocal issues. It was rumored to be migraines.

I adored Teal during her time in San Francisco but got pretty frustrated trying to see her. I'm wishing her all the best in her Broadway run and hoping I get a chance to see her there.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#119Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 6:54pm

Kerry Ellis' attendance in NY during the 6 months she was here was atrocious.

rmusic11322
#120Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 7:27pm

Hey adamgreer... Since you know a lot about Wicked, do you know if the lotto will die down a bit now that it's January?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#121Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 1/2/11 at 7:47pm

It won't be as busy as it was this week, but the Wicked lotto never really "dies down." It's always busy. The least crowded one is the Wednesday matinee, however.

rmusic11322
beautywickedlover
rmusic11322

Videos