pixeltracker

N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going?

N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going?

LayerBoy4
#1N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going?
Posted: 1/2/11 at 3:51pm

Hey guys!

Anybody heading to Joe's Pub on January 24th? Brian Justin Crum (the current Gabe/Henry standby in 'Next to Normal') is doing a concert and it looks like it's going to be awesome! Stephen Schwartz is going to do a tune with him, Donna Vivino, fresh from being Elphaba on the "Wicked" tour, will be belting it out, AND the brilliant Tituss Burgess will be there. There's going to be so many high notes, I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with myself! Jesse Vargas, fresh from "[title of show]" at George Street will be MD'ing. Can't wait to see what they cook up, and the tix were cheap - $20. Joe's Pub is so fun too!

So who else is coming? And who else has seen him in N2N recently?! I've only seen him as Gabe, but he was GREAT! Looked so much like BDJ - it was crazy!

Here's what the press release said about it:

"Brian Justin Crum, who is currently a cast member of the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning musical Next to Normal, will make his solo debut Jan. 24, 2011, with Nowhere Near Normal, a concert at Joe's Pub.

Grammy and Academy Award-winning and Tony-nominated composer Stephen Schwartz and singing actors Tituss Burgess and Donna Vivino are set to make guest appearances, with more guest performers to be announced shortly.

Jesse Vargas will provide musical direction and arrangements for the show, which is set to feature a selection of Broadway and rock music.

Crum has also appeared in the Broadway revival and national tour of Grease. Other credits include Wicked, Altar Boyz, Snapshots and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Joe's Pub is located in the Public Theater at 425 Lafeyette Street. Tickets are $20 and are available at JoesPub.com."

Updated On: 1/2/11 at 03:51 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/2/11 at 3:54pm

I've never seen him or heard of him and I saw N2N 5 times.

I'm sure lots of the fankids will make it to Joe's if they are willing to pay the cover and drink minimum. There's no lotto at Joe's Pub, so they will probably pass.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#2N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/2/11 at 4:09pm

I got to see him on as Henry when I saw the show early last month. He was fantastic, and such a nice (and adorable) person at stagedoor. I'd love to go, but I won't be in town then!

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#3N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/2/11 at 4:33pm

I'm planning to go. I enjoyed hearing him sing at the talk back last summer, as well as his Gabe and Henry.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#4N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/2/11 at 4:39pm

I've seen him as Gabe three times and his Henry twice and I think he's great. I already have my ticket to see his show and I can't wait.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/3/11 at 12:46am

I wish I could go but I'll be back at school. Saw his Henry and Gabe. He did amazing with both roles.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#6N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/3/11 at 4:25pm

Check this out, Betty. The guy's got some pipes.
Brian Crum - Faithfully

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/3/11 at 8:58pm

He has a nice voice, but he's a little over-affected for my taste. He sounds like Josh Strickland who I like better. I wish josh would get off that fake boob Las Vegas show and return to Broadway.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#8N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/3/11 at 9:47pm

His version of Faithfully is amazing. Love it.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#9N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/5/11 at 10:11pm

He's on SVU tonight. Anyone watching?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Blockhead24
#10N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/6/11 at 11:59am

He was great last night.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#11N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/22/11 at 3:27pm

For anyone who is interested....send me a private message if you are going and you would like to share a table reservation.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#12N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:08am

Since no one else posted anything....let me be the one to say what a great concert this was last night. The music was quite varied and all very enjoyable.

He opened with 2 pop sounding songs that I was not familiar with, followed by "Mad World". Schwartz joined him on stage and accompanied him for a medley of "In Whatever Time We Have" and "As Long as You're Mine", together with someone who's name I didn't recognize. He sang another Schwartz song, I believe from Children of Eden, and then was joined by Titus Burgess for "Meadowlark" which was the highlight of the evening for me. He closed with "The Power of Love" the Huey Lewis one, and then sang "Faithfully" as an encore.

I was impressed with his ability to connect with the audience and in his delivery of each song. I've seen others in their solo debuts who have not been able to pull you in to the song as well as he can. He seems to have already mastered that ability to perform the song in character, whereas others seem to just perform the song as themselves, which may be their intention, but in a small setting it's not as powerful.

There were also some great renditions of songs by Whitney and Mariah, as well as a kick ass version of "You Oughta Know."

He was also so likable as a performer; joking around, having fun with the audience. He's obviously very comfortable with who he is which is always so refreshing for male performers. Thanks Brian!

Updated On: 1/25/11 at 11:08 AM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#13N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:04pm

I wasn't there, but he did As Long As Your Mine with Donna Vivino, a former tour Elphaba.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#14N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:42pm

Wow, he does look a lot like Brian D'Arcy James. Would have been fun to see him go on as Gabe during the few weeks BDJ did the show last summer. Did that ever happen? Never saw him in next to normal. As many times as I saw the show, I saw Kyle and Adam every time.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#15N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:57pm

Saw him as Henry and as Gabe. He did a fantastic job with both.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#16N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 1/25/11 at 4:41pm

Thanks Steven... I felt bad leaving her name out.

rmusic11322
Blockhead24
#18N2N's Brian Justin Crum at Joe's Pub on 1/24 - Who else is going? :-)
Posted: 2/24/11 at 11:21pm

"Would have been fun to see him go on as Gabe during the few weeks BDJ did the show last summer. Did that ever happen?"

Yes it did. I saw them together (Michael was on as the doctors) and they were great.

Videos