pixeltracker

NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....- Page 2

NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 6:04am

According to ATC the filming was not for the Lincoln Archive, but for an upcoming Sondheim documentary.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#26NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 9:55am

Keaton Whittaker had to save their first scene. Stritch just could not remember about the night smiling three times so she finally threw it to Fredrika, saying something like, "I told you about it last night..." and Fredrika said, "Yes, you did...you said the night smiles three times..." and that got Stritch on track. It was unfortunate that this is the performance that will be captured on video in any capacity because I saw it previously with Bernadette and Stritch and Stritch was 100% on. She is a legend and it is always wonderful to have the privilege of seeing her perform live but it was an uncomfortable evening. The pauses were extremely obvious and you could tell from the love in the room that everyone was rooting for Stritch to make it through but it just didn't happen that night.

broadwayjim42
#27NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 10:11am

I saw the show in September and again last Thursday and Stritch was definitely struggling more this time around. Numerous pregnant pauses.

Love the show to death though...was almost tearing up during the curtain calls, which I thought might be the cause of it getting out so late because they seemed to run on for a while.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#28NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 12:30pm

Unfortunately, adamgreer you're way off the beat here and HeyMrMusic is absolutely right.

I had seen the show with Bernie and Stritchay a few months back and they were both outstanding. I had read prior to going to the show about all of the issues Stritch was having on her first few nights then saw the show and thought people might have been taking her "Where was I"'s as her actually losing her place.

I then went back on Friday night (1/7) and she was visibly struggling throughout the show. Liaisons came almost to a halt multiple times, she struggled with the Wooden Ring speech and almost entirely lost the "Losing your teeth is a catastrophe" joke had it not been for Fredrika's prompts. It was uncomfortable to say the least.

Also - My mother, whom I brought to the show, had to catch an 11:30 bus at Port Authority and we got out of the show at 11:19PM so there is no doubt that it was running long.

We both enjoyed the show immensely and Bernadette's "Send In The Clowns" is one for the books BUT she was doing her fair share of shm-acting throughout the rest of the show which became, at times, distracting.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 1/10/11 at 12:30 PM

bwayfan7000
#29NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 12:41pm

When I saw it in late August, I think Stritch may have accidentally forgotten one line in the second act and Liasons slowed down for a very short time, but I don't think I have ever been so mesmerized by a stage performance. She had the audience hanging on her every word.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#30NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 12:41pm

It was filmed last week for LC archives. The truck yesterday was HBO filming backstage for a Sondheim special.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#31NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 1:24pm

Oooh! A Sondheim docu./special! Anyone have details?

I must say, Sondheim is probably the richest cult figure in the history of musical theatre.

broadwayjim42
#32NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 1:30pm

Sch-macting. May be my favorite new word. BP was definitely guilty of that Thursday and in September and I can't picture CZJ going that route, but it doesn't affect my feelings for the show at all. There's humor to be found there and if she find it and makes it broad as a beam without ruining it, it still somehow works.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 1:36pm

Some accused CZJ of being hammy. But she was really only hammy during the very comic (farce-like) moments. The rest of her performance was sexy and elegant.
BP was MUCH more playful. But she hammed it up to the extreme. She overemphasized some jokes to the point where they almost weren't even funny anymore.
I did enjoy both performances though.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#34NIGHT MUSIC officially recoups.....
Posted: 1/10/11 at 2:09pm

I do think the exaggeration on BP's behalf was an acting choice. She is playing an aging actress stuck in stock productions so I could see why she would choose to put on so much affect throughout the show. It also created levels and a stark contradiction to when she went into "Send In The Clowns" and really pulled at everyone's heart strings.

The thing is, she did this well enough the first time I saw her in the show and when I returned on Friday it bordered on comical (in a bad way). Her dialogue during "A Weekend In The Country" was a good example wherein she yelled, as if in a Grecian tragedy, "WELL De-AH? Ah. You. Haaaaappy Heeee-uh??" It was really quite ludicrous.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock