Weekly SNL thread

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#275Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 11:47am

Roxy- I think you mean Lana Del Rey (sorry if I spelled that wrong)

FindingNamo
#276Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 11:55am

Supportive, I kept thinking the same thing about Christopher Knight.

I didn't have a problem with the Farrah joke. It wasn't at her expense.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#277Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 1:10pm

I hope Jon Hamm's bulge hosts this season.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#278Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 1:40pm

Count me as someone who thinks any outrage over the Farrah joke is misplaced. Like Namo said, it wasn't at her expense. It wasn't even mean-spirited.

I thought the episode was okay. I'm glad the vast throng of supporting players were finally promoted to main players (Taran, Nasim, Keenan, Bobby, et al).

I didn't realize Kate McKinnon was gay until I read it somewhere this summer. I see why they hired her, because she seems pretty versatile, but every character she does is so intense and specific it often seems like she's in a different show from everyone else.

Updated On: 9/16/12 at 01:40 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#279Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 2:16pm

Keenan has been a main player for a while. He has been on the show as long as Jason.

Taran made perminent cast member in record time. He is a very strong talented performer. Also one of the more down to Earth.

Bobby seems so happy to be part of the cast now, the uncertainty has lifted, at least for four years.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#280Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 2:22pm

Oh right. For some reason I was thinking Keenan was still a featured player last year. Thanks for the correction!

PS - Were you involved with those puppets last night? When they came on, I thought of you! Updated On: 9/16/12 at 02:22 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#281Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 3:26pm

Yes, those were 22 hour wonders. Started them at 9 PM friday night, finished them at 7:45 Saturday, just before dress. Honestly didn't think I was going to make it this time.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#282Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 3:45pm

Did you also do the horse heads?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#283Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 3:55pm

Yes. I also build a torso appliance for Seth for a sketch where he was torn in half on the football feild. It was cut at dress.

nygrl232 Profile Photo
nygrl232
#284Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 6:38pm

Well done, SNAFU. Those puppets were awesome. So was the sketch.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#285Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 6:55pm

...Seth MacFarlene's Ryan Lochte was really funny.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

FindingNamo
#286Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 7:55pm

Those puppets were great. They really gave the cast something to work with.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#287Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 8:02pm

Personally I thought Hader, not being a puppeteer, was incredible in that sketch. My assistant had to give him a few pointers during rehearsal. I find that character really funny! I would LOVE to see him performing at a childrens birthday party!

FindingNamo
#288Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 8:34pm

I wish SNL would break returning characters out of their sketch formats. I'd like to see Stefon AT New York's hottest club. Or working at Starbucks.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#289Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 9:04pm

I agree. I want to see Stefon in the real world! Would be awesome. Maybe that is a moovie... it worked for Stewart Smally. Thought that movie was perhaps one of the better realized ones in the SNL cannon. Go Senetor Franken!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#290Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 9:25pm

I'd love a series of vignettes where Stefon stalks Seth Myers around Rockerfeller Center. These could easily replace Andy Samberg's videos. Plenty of locations to shoot them to make it different: the cafeteria, writer's table meetings, rehearsals, dressing room, elevator, bathrooms, studio tours, etc.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#291Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 10:35pm

Glad somebody else on this planet likes Stuart Saves His Family!

And putting Frank Ocean on par with Lana del Rey is disrespectful to Frank Ocean, an actually good vocalist versus somebody who like she was on a bunch of barbiturates.

And again, about Stefon, the writers seem intent on making it about Bill doing the impression to cue cards that he has no idea what is written beforehand. Doing pre-recorded work changes Stefon's whole dynamic. Hader's a top performer but the whole role of Stefon is the unpredictability about what he has to say, even for Bill Hader.

FindingNamo
#292Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 10:40pm

I think both could work. I never understood, as far back as the original cast, why they didn't make a movie with them playing their characters all over New York City. Or why they've never done it with any of the other casts that clicked.

I too LOVED Stuart Saves His Family. I also loved the "Daily Affirmations" sketch the week after the movie bombed with Stuart shoving Double Stuf Oreos down his throat.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#293Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/16/12 at 10:43pm

I mean I could see a 'Debbie Downer Takes Manhattan' kind of video sketch really working with the character around real people.

Brian07663NJ
#294Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/17/12 at 8:16am

Snafu - awesome job on the puppets! I thought of you too when I saw them as well as the horse heads.

At the end of this week's SNL I thought to myself..."WOW amazing episode WITHOUT Kristen Wiig!" Was SO tired of seeing her monotone characters redressed in different plots. I loved her in the beginning but then just got flat out bored with her.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#295Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/17/12 at 3:01pm

Great work, Snafu!

I didn't think the Farrah joke was in bad taste at all. Seth was talking about a childhood crush. EVERY straight boy had a crush on Farrah!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Brian07663NJ
#296Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/17/12 at 4:15pm

Agree with you TheatreDiva90016...the Farrah joke didn't bother me either. It was in context...but of course someone is bound to be offended.

beautywickedlover
#297Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/20/12 at 7:47pm

I am recording the Special Thursday Weekend Update tonight. I didn't get to watch last Saturday's episode until recently. The highlights for me were obviously the puppet scene and the Ryan Lochte impression.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#298Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/23/12 at 12:31am

GOP tampon commercial was HILARIOUS. Weekend Update went on forever this week. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a very hip, cool persona that doesn't make him funny. I didn't care for a single sketch he was in so far.

--Aristotle

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#299Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 9/23/12 at 12:40am

^ But I loved the monologue! That boy can move!