pixeltracker

Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good

Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good

fiyerowhereareyou Profile Photo
fiyerowhereareyou
#1Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 12:20pm

Latest post from "Crazytown" talks about Carrie the musical, and shows some videos, men in leather, pigs blood, Lilias White, what isn't to love?

Crazytown Blog Updated On: 2/2/11 at 12:20 PM

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#2Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 12:25pm

I assume you mean Darlene Love. She was in it. Not Lilias White. Imajustsayin'

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

fiyerowhereareyou
#2Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 12:30pm

oh sorry my mistake

Lillias was Darlene's standby, I knew she was in the show...just got confused
Lillias in Carrie

FindingNamo
#3Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 2:03pm

I chatted with Lilias about the Dreamgirls revival after the first preview performance of Carrie. Eugene from Fame was next to her and seemed a little irked that I wanted to talk about Dreamgirls, well, fame costs, and Lilias had paid in sweat.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#4Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 2:19pm

Carrie is one of my favorites... The relationship between Carrie and her mother was incredibly written - I think the only major setback was the ensemble numbers, unfortunately. Hopefully it will be cleaned up, I'm excited!

...Also the opening number "In", featured in that article reminds me of Whipped Into Shape from Legally Blonde.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

romgitsean
#5Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 2:49pm

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THIS REVIVAL!? I'M DYING TO KNOW.

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 3:03pm

Are you sure it was Eugene and not Leroy, Namo?

Seriously, wasn't Leroy from Fame in this show?

Also, I have always been in love with Lilias.

....but the world goes 'round

FindingNamo
#7Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 3:12pm

It's a chimera.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 3:39pm

Actor was Gene Anthony Ray. He played Chris' boyfriend Billy (the John Travolta role in Brian DePalma's 1976 film adapation of CARRIE). He played Leroy Johnson in Alan Parker's 1979 film FAME, where Debbie Allen appeared in a brief cameo -- she's the one who reacts to Leroy's gyrations during his 'audition'.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#9Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 3:52pm

I would LOVE to hear Lillias sing Miss Gardner!! I get goosepimply thinking about it!

Gene Anthony Ray died. I think from the pig's blood ballet shame.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

fiyerowhereareyou
#10Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 6:54pm

i think i heard the revival is going to be at the Lucille Lortel?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#11Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 7:04pm

It was announced to go there for next season, but there has been literally no official news since that announcement.

Also, I really hate the expression "so bad, it's good."

FindingNamo
#12Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 7:06pm

You're right, I meant Leroy. How weird of me.

Jack Lopez-Turner
#13Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 8:49pm

I love the music!!! At the very least I wish they would make a recording of it. Same with Quilters. They just had an anniversary production in Denver and didn't bother to record it.

fiyerowhereareyou
#14Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 8:52pm

thanks, sorry you feel that way about the phrase ScaryWarhole...

I feel the same way about the phrase "nature's candy" but i suppose that's off topic

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#15Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 9:41pm

The Crazytown blog is so bad it's bad.

dexter3
#16Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 10:19pm

Hahaha Phyllis!! Nice.

FindingNamo
#17Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/2/11 at 11:21pm

There is nothing that can be done for Carrie Its problems cannot be fixed and there is no point in trying to deliberately mount a so-bad-it's-good revival of a show that was so-bad-it's-legendary. That kind of lightning does not strike twice.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#18Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/3/11 at 10:19am

Well Namo as you know i diagree with you, i think many things can be done to turn this show around, in fact i think far easier that many flops that have already tried.

Also i have the director of the new Carrie on my Facebook as we have mutual friends and its still happening, i can tell you that for sure.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#19Carrie: the Musical...so bad it's good
Posted: 2/3/11 at 1:26pm

It's definitely set for MCC's season. I, however, agree with Namo here - this show is unsalvageable. One can focus on the Margaret/Carrie scenes til the cows come home - they aren't all that good; they only appear good in comparison to how awful everything else in the show is. The lyrics are doggerel, and the music is foursquare and elementary. Most of all - horror and musicals just don't mix, unless you do it as camp (Little Shop) or over-the-top (Sweeney). Poor Carrie is neither - it's an earnest mediocrity.

Videos