Sunday in the Park with George

SondheimFan23 Profile Photo
SondheimFan23
#1Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/16/11 at 10:08pm

I am writing a report on the show and was hoping for info, photos, etc...

"Look I made a hat... where there never was a hat." "Think of how I adore you, think of how much you love me. If I were perfect for you, wouldn't you tire of me?" "Somebody, crowd me with love. Somebody, force me to care. Somebody, make me come through, I'll always be there, as frightened as you, to help us survive. Being alive. Being alive. Being alive!" "There are worse things than staring at the water as you're posing for a picture after sleeping on the ferry after getting up at seven to come over to an island in the middle of a river half an hour from the city on a Sunday!"

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#2Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/16/11 at 11:24pm

I love the music and everything about this show but I never understood the ending.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#2Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/16/11 at 11:34pm

George returns to the spot of his Grandfather's painting, and although it has changed drastically over the years he is hit with the original inspiration allowing him to move on to create something new.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#3Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/16/11 at 11:58pm

I wrote a 16 page paper on this piece about 4 years ago. It was the only time in my life that I ever enjoyed writing a paper. It forces you to really delve into the material, and you'll find so many other levels to the show than you'd get from just watching it once or twice. The parallels between life and art, and the construction of the piece are just mind bogglingly brilliant.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

chickfila
#4Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 9:25am

My favorite Sondheim show featuring my favorite Sondheim song - Sunday. I can cry just thinking about the show. Perfection on stage.

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#5Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 9:59am

I'd advise going to the website of your local public library (or, if you're in college, your school's library). Once there, I'd check their catalog for the following

- the DVD of "Sunday"
- the "Sunday" script
- Sondheim's biography by Meryl Seacrest (sp.?)
(it's a shame that 'Look, I Made a Hat' isn't out yet)
- Deconstructing Harold Hill
- the Broadway Best Plays Yearbook (the title's something like that; "Sunday", obviously was a best play for that year

If it's not in your county's catalog, check to see if your library has an inter-library loan system. This will probably yield greater results.

Check Google to see if there's resources that I've missed. Go to the Sondheim website for additional info- see if you can find back archives of the Sondheim review.

Best of luck! I wrote an essay on "Sunday" for a scholarship I'm a finalist for- it's a gold mine of inspiration!

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#6Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 10:56am

It's my favorite show. Period. At least, this year. But really, I do love it. Good luck!

#7Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 11:23am

I second Deconstructing Harold Hill - a great chapter on Sunday.

SondheimFan23 Profile Photo
SondheimFan23
#8Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 11:39am

Thanks for all the info and support. In addition to my original question, does anyone have any fun facts or personal experiences see the show?

"Look I made a hat... where there never was a hat." "Think of how I adore you, think of how much you love me. If I were perfect for you, wouldn't you tire of me?" "Somebody, crowd me with love. Somebody, force me to care. Somebody, make me come through, I'll always be there, as frightened as you, to help us survive. Being alive. Being alive. Being alive!" "There are worse things than staring at the water as you're posing for a picture after sleeping on the ferry after getting up at seven to come over to an island in the middle of a river half an hour from the city on a Sunday!"

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#9Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 1:11pm

Fun fact: Mandy Patinkin didn't know that "Finishing the Hat" and "Putting it Together" were the same tune until his "leaving the show" party, where Sondheim told him. Sondheim has described the moment as "taking his Christmas away." Mandy was very surprised.

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#10Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 1:24pm

^ Hahaha, that's hilarious.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

bwaylvsong
#11Sunday in the Park with George
Posted: 2/17/11 at 8:01pm

http://www.brandeis.edu/now/2010/november/sundayparkslideshowtext.html

Here's a slideshow from a production I was in a few months ago.
Let me know if you have any questions about what it's like to be in the show!