News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Priscilla First Preview

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 12:15am

I went in with kind of high expectations and just wanted to have a good time, but I came out thinking it was just so so. It's a completely different beast than the movie, which is fine, but I think it's missing the heart, slyness and any trace of conflict present in the source material.

The are two huge assets this production does have: the costumes and Tony Sheldon. This man is SO talented and had me loving everything he did and laughing at every line delivered. He is so commanding on stage it really put Will and Nick in the background. (Not helpful in the case of Will as it is Dick's story.) I wanted the songs to be over so we could get back to the book scenes with Tony the whole time!

The songs themselves aren't integrated into the story very well. I hate to say it, but for as corny and dumb as Mamma Mia is, it has a construction that works and the songs often move the plot forward. I was also disappointed in the choreography. I realize that the impressive costumes sometimes don't allow for a full range of movements, but it seemed liked the staging for each number consisted of the ensemble marching around in a circle across the stage. Nothing too dazzling in the steps department.

In the end it was a pleasant evening, but it wasn't a show I feel like immediately running back to see (like the oh so much better Book of Mormon!).

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#2Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 1:20am

'Tick' not Dick

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

bwaybug85
#2Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 2:19am

I was there tonight as well and totally disagree. LOVE LOVE LOVED it and judging by this evening's response this show is going to be a HIT! Out of all the first previews I've attended, I've never seen an audience more into a show and the amount of applause/cheer during the finale and curtain call was overwhelming. If you are looking for a fun night out this is it!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 2:24am

Thanks for posting, I was intrigued to listen to some of the opinions. I'm hesitating seeing this...it doesn't appeal to me much.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

kyle4
#4Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 2:28am

i was VERY excited about seeing this...

i am VERY horrified by what i saw!

i wrote about it on my SEXY blog...

http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/

poor will swenson!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 2:43am

The audience reaction in Toronto to almost each performance was explosive. I don't think in all my years of theatre going had I seen such a positive and delighted reaction.

kyle4
#6Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 2:57am

tag,

i will share my continent with you, but NOT my taste in musical theater!

god bless all 10 provinces and 3 territories of you!!!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

tourboi
#7Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 4:56am

Absolutely LOVED everything about Priscilla. Still think Country Boy needs to get cut but what a fun night out, and popping with energy, creativity, and (yes) emotion.

I left feeling on top of the world.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#8Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 5:04am

kyle4, I'm not paying much attention to your impression. Remember you are just a stand-by and haven't earn't your stripes yet. I listen to the Broadway (world) legends first.

P.S.That was a really bitchy poorly written piece. I take it you've never heard of punctuation.

Updated On: 3/1/11 at 05:04 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 6:23am

A bitch calling a bitch, a "bitch"?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

dramarama3
#10Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 6:49am

well, yeah?

Formerly 'dramarama2'

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#11Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 8:33am

The Palace Theatre was rocking last night! The electricity in that theatre lit up Broadway as far as I am concerned! What a cast and what a night. BRAVO! or is that Brava!? I do agree though that Broadway has found a new star and his name is Tony Sheldon! He is brillant in the role of Bernadette. I have seen him perform this role in Syndey as well as in London and he is as fresh as the first time I saw him on stage. He knows how to command a stage without upstaging his fellow actors. Seeing the other productions I applaud both Will and Nick who now are my favorite Tick & Felicia. Tick's sensitive side and Nick's wild side make me smile, cry and laugh. I believe the 3 main actors all held their own and gave some stellar performances. The chemistry between them was like no other. I WILL be returning....sooner than later!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

mee.who
#12Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 8:56am

Kyle4 - I didn't see Tick (Will Swenson's character) as conflicted about being gay/bi/however he labels himself (or doesn't). He was conflicted about how his life as a drag queen could mesh with his preconceived notions of fatherhood, about whether he could have both at the same time or if he'd have to make the choice (again) and give one up to be any good at the other.

Personally I LOVED the show last night, loved it in Toronto, already have tickets for a return visit, and pretty much disagree with everything in both your and Whizzer's reviews except for the bit where you describe Swenson as gorgeous, dynamic, and talented and Whizzer talks about Tony Sheldon's fantastic performance. Updated On: 3/1/11 at 08:56 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:12am

Not seen the Broadway productions yet but saw the London one and have to say i felt the same as the OP, it had little heart or soul and was all about style, it really did bug me. Then i went to see it again with a mate who wanted to watch it and i put the movie out of my mind and just went in to have a good fun night and i did.

Kyle4, you have hated Book of Mormon (which everyone else seems to like) and Priscilla (everyone else seems to like), you ever thought maybe ot's you whos getting it wrong?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

NYTheatre01 Profile Photo
NYTheatre01
#14Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:15am

Kyle 4! Very poorly written piece! Who could ever take you seriously?
Updated On: 3/1/11 at 09:15 AM

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#15Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:28am

Kyle, it's very difficult to read a piece that is void of punctuation and that goes on for 20 minutes about Stephen Spinella.

Could you image... an actor... attending a Broadway show... that he wants to see... and people recognizing him... and taking his PICTURE????????

Yes, that happens. Just because he was there, and someone was taking his picture, does not automatically mean that there is some higher purpose to it. He was likely going out to support a new piece of musical theater and someone recognized him from Broadway or 24 and he was nice enough to pose for a photo. Quite simple.

As for Priscilla, while it is indeed opulent and over-the-top, it is also completely delightful, silly, fun, and filled with emotion. It lifts your spirits and makes you want to dance. It is not embarrassing or guilty like Mamma Mia, it is extremely positive and forward thinking. It's about tolerance and understanding. Tick is not "conflicted about being Gay," he is conflicted about if there is the ability for both distinct parts of his life to co-exist. The ending with his son is beautiful. Tony Sheldon, Will, and Nick are just wow. Having the time of their lives and giving it their all.

Not as cleverly original as Book of Mormon, but every bit as enjoyable and fun, Priscilla is a feel good show that doesn't make you feel bad about feeling good. It's an anthem for everyone that has felt a little bit different. You don't have to be gay to relate to Priscilla, you just have to be human.

Loved it.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:31am

A friend of mine went and raved about it. He is not easy to please but said he had a blast.

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#17Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:33am

Of the 8 people I know that went last night, each one said they were extremely disappointed, a few even saying they want their money back. It's going to be interesting to see how this is received.

The Pud
#18Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:33am

I am laughing Ha Ha but not the good kind. You seem to be more obsessed about your toilet habits and a random person than Priscilla. Wouldn't it be interesting if he felt the same way about you, now that would be funny. Well, that is your opinion
and you are entitled to it but it is shame that you are trying
to ruin it for everyone else.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#19Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:35am

What the huh is you talking about, Pud?

The Pud
#20Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:37am

Thank you, Maxximum Volume.
Updated On: 3/1/11 at 09:37 AM

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#21Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:38am

Jordan, I believe Pud is talking about Kyle's rambling "review" of the show that he linked to on his blog.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#22Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:47am

No offense, but I never got to the part about the show because I couldn't get through all of the trips to the bathroom. And Spinella was having fun. What's wrong with that?

Just give the world Love.

Luv2goToShows
#23Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 9:48am

I agree Broadwayboobs and bwaybug. I attended last night's first preview and loved it. It was fun and loaded with energy, both on stage and in the audience. The finale was a roar and it must have been heard across Times Sq. I left smiling and will definitely go back again.

NYTheatre01 Profile Photo
NYTheatre01
#24Priscilla First Preview
Posted: 3/1/11 at 10:14am

Come on Jordan...THEY WANT THEIR MONEY BACK? Yeah right!

Videos