pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 79

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1950Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:16pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "A gossip blogger on Instagram posteda tip from someone who gave more hints on the Chicago cast, saying the cast will include

"a former Dreamgirl, - Lillias White

a beloved Emmy winner - Jane Krakowski

a Brazilian heart throb - Bianca Marroquin

,and the rising queen of a movie musical." - ????

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

sassylash3s
#1951Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:20pm

Bianca is Mexican and as far as I can tell Jane Krakowski doesn't actually have an Emmy (although she seems like she should, so perhaps the person who made the hint was mistaken).  I think the term "heartthrob" is typically used to describe men so I assume that hint is about the Billy Flynn.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1952Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:20pm

Paulo Szot sounds like the "Brazilian heart throb," since he played Billy shortly before Covid. Bianca Marroquin is Mexican.

I will be amazed if Ariana DeBose decides to do this, but she'd be great.

Jane Krakowski has 5 Emmy nominations but has never won (but perhaps the gossiper has their awards facts mixed up).

Updated On: 8/18/21 at 08:20 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1953Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:27pm

Maybe Bianca is doing the GMA spot because whoever is Velma wasn't available? Speculation only. Paulo as Billy makes sense. So:

Velma: Bianca or DeBose
Roxie: Jane Krakowski
Billy: Paulo Szot
Mama: Lillias White

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#1954Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:27pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Paulo Szot sounds like the "Brazilian heart throb," since he played Billy shortly before Covid. BiancaMarroquin is Mexican.

Jane Krakowski has 5 Emmy nominations but has never won (but perhaps the gossiper has their awards facts mixed up).
"

I was thinking the same! Jane is Emmy nominated*. I'd LOVE to see Jane as Roxie.

I was also thinking of Melissa Barrera as the "rising queen of movie musicals". But I believe she will be filming other movies during this time? Ariana De Bose was so wonderful in Prom: The Musical too.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1955Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:31pm

Assuming the following is real, that leaves out Bianca Marroquin and Ana Villafane who were both rumored to be going into it...

Velma: Ariana DeBose

This whole conversation is Amos Hart erasure tho. (I beleive it was already confirmed that R. Lowe is returning as Mary Sunshine)

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#1956Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Assuming the following is real, that leaves out BiancaMarroquin and Ana Villafane who were both rumored to be going into it...

This whole conversation is Amos Hart erasure tho. (I beleive it was already confirmed that R. Lowe is returning as Mary Sunshine)
"

The choreographers confirmed Bianca playing Velma (saying after 20 years of Roxie, she finally gets to step into the role?) Unless she and (hypothetically) Ariana De Bose alternate the role of Velma. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1957Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:37pm

It would be on odd scenario since they are only doing 6 shows a week, but would Bianca agree to be the Velma/Roxie standby?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#1958Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:40pm

Jane Krakowski not having an Emmy is an actual crime. But if she is playing Roxie I will be buying tickets IMMEDIATELY.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#1959Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:45pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Paulo Szot sounds like the "Brazilian heart throb," since he played Billy shortly before Covid. BiancaMarroquin is Mexican.

"

I was thinking the same! Jane is Emmy nominated*. I'd LOVE to see Jane as Roxie.

I was also thinking of Melissa Barrera as the "rising queen of movie musicals". But I believe she will be filming other movies during this time? Ariana De Bose was so wonderful in Prom: The Musical too.
"

Could we also consider Dove Cameron for the role of Velma? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1960Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:48pm

FWIW, Twitter's Ayanna Prescod (a theatre journalist) confirmed that those hints are the people she's heard about. Also includes a screenshot of the original Deux Moi IG post.

All to be taken with a grain of salt before the announcement. Hopefully we'll find out soon...

Updated On: 8/18/21 at 08:48 PM

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#1961Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 8:57pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "FWIW, Twitter's Ayanna Prescod (a theatre journalist) confirmed that those hints are the people she's heard about.Also includes a screenshot of the originalDeux MoiIG post.

All to be taken with a grain of salt before the announcement. Hopefully we'll find out soon...
"

Next thursday! Someone in her comments suggested Michelle Pfeiffer?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1962Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:09pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said:

"Could we also consider Dove Cameron for the role of Velma?"

Dove Cameron as Velma? In what universe would that be good casting?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#1963Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:13pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said:

"

"Rising queen of movie musicals"?

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#1964Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:14pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Assuming the following is real, that leaves out BiancaMarroquin and Ana Villafane who were both rumored to be going into it...

"

The choreographers confirmed Bianca playing Velma (saying after 20 years of Roxie, she finally gets to step into the role?) Unless she and (hypothetically) Ariana De Bose alternate the role of Velma.
"

Paulo Szot was one of the cast members Andy Cohen blasted for being too old .  Along with the rest of the company . Remember this pre pandemic bruhaha?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/andy-cohen-shades-chicago-erika-jayne-broadway-musical.html/

TaffyDavenport
#1965Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:17pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said:

"

"Rising queen of movie musicals"?
"

Has she even been in a movie musical? Regardless, Velma isn't a role she'll be playing anytime soon.

Nolan LuPone
#1966Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:27pm

All these people saying DeBose or Cameron as Velma… really? Velma is meant for a woman in her late 30s to early 40s. It would make more sense for Krakowski to go on as Velma and DeBose to go on as Roxie.

Updated On: 8/18/21 at 09:27 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1967Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:40pm

Nolan LuPone said: "All these people saying DeBose or Cameron as Velma… really? Velma is meant for a woman in her late 30s to early 40s. It would make more sense for Krakowski to go on as Velma and DeBose to go on as Roxie."

Please not your suggestion!

Give me a 30 year old who can sing, dance, AND act the crap out of it over someone who's older but miscast. There have been plenty of good Velmas in their 20s/30s, including Catherine Zeta Jones at age 32...

(The Dove Cameron suggestion is deranged; DeBose would be great)

TaffyDavenport
#1968Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:47pm

I'm just assuming that the Emmy winner is playing Amos.

TaffyDavenport
#1969Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:53pm

Also, here is Michael Scirrotto's Instagram post from earlier today, which confirms Bianca Marroquin as Velma:

"After 20 years of @biancapamelamarroquin playing Roxie, she finally gets to tackle Velma and add herself to the very short list of women (including Chita) who have played both roles! And she is already FANTASTIC."

Michael Scirrotto (@michaelscirrotto) • Instagram photos and videos

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#1970Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 9:59pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I'm just assuming that the Emmy winner is playing Amos."

I'm looking through the Emmy winners of the last 15 years in an attempt to see if any of them would fit Amos, and holy hell Peter Dinklage and Aaron Paul basically traded the Supporting Actor Emmy back and forth for nearly a decade. 

Neither of them really fit the type, but I can't say I wouldn't be intrigued by a Dinklage Amos - he is a lot funnier than people realize.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

Nolan LuPone
#1971Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 10:05pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Nolan LuPone said: "All these people saying DeBose or Cameron as Velma… really? Velma is meant for a woman in her late 30s to early 40s. It would make more sense for Krakowski to go on as Velma and DeBose to go on as Roxie."

Please not your suggestion!

Give me a 30 year old who can sing, dance, AND actthe crap out of it over someone who's older but miscast. There have been plenty of good Velmas in their 20s/30s, including Catherine Zeta Jones at age 32...

(The Dove Cameron suggestion is deranged; DeBose would be great)”

If I had to keep Krakowski as Roxie, then I’d go with Patina Miller for Velma. This is just an elaboration of my dream cast. 

Updated On: 8/18/21 at 10:05 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1972Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/18/21 at 11:18pm

The latest from the DeuxMoi instagram acct:

Another blind item says Krakowski & DeBose are old news, they pulled out a month ago, it is Ana Villafane and Bianca Marroquin as Roxie & Velma, with Lillias White and Paulo Szot.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1973Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/19/21 at 5:59am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The latest from the DeuxMoi instagram acct:

Another blind item says Krakowski & DeBose are old news, they pulled out a month ago, it is Ana Villafane and Bianca Marroquin as Roxie & Velma, with Lillias White and Paulo Szot.
"

Who knows if those rumors were ever true. Just a matter of Chicago announcing the cast now.

TaffyDavenport
#1974Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/19/21 at 10:00am

On the other thread, troynow, who has provided accurate intel in the past, is saying Bianca Marroquin, Ana Villafañe, Jaime Camil, and Lilias White. I think this is most likely correct.

Updated On: 8/19/21 at 10:00 AM