Baby, THAT SUCKED!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#25Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 10:29am

WAT- How dare you insult Truckload by lumping it with this crap!?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#26Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 10:39am

And here's the kicker - I took a friend last night to see WONDERLAND because I told him that when I went the other day how awful it was and they went and made cuts and I actually enjoyed it!

I'm still not sure if my sarcasm meter is broken when it comes to you and this quote, but either way it's making me laugh.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#27Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 10:42am

Yeouch. Maybe this is the level of garbage needed to recalibrate Brantley (if he deigns to do it in lieu of Isherwood). Kitty's been trying so hard to sharpen his claws on moderately to deeply flawed but forgivable shows--e.g., How to Succeed, That Championship Season and yes, even Women on the Verge--that it would eventually take the edge off when something truly deserves a Little Mermaid-level pan.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 10:45am

And has anyone commented yet on how the last scene is the EXACT same final scene as MEMPHIS. I mean, pretty much down to the same dialogue?!
Updated On: 3/30/11 at 10:45 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#29Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 10:57am

It is the same! My friends and I mentioned it was like when Chad came on the stage to sing with Montego. It also felt like the Dreamgirls finale when Deena says, "You know, there aren't really three Dreams...", except this time around the extra "Dream" was Florence and not a former member of the group.

I was doing a little reading on Wikipedia about the Shirelles and it looks like they messed with the timeline of their hits quite a bit. Soldier Boy was a hit after Baby, It's You, but in the show they sang it way before in the first act. Baby, It's You was a Bacharach song and in the show that was the first song he had written for them. It signaled the beginning of the end for Luther working with the girls, when in real life it looks like that wasn't the case. It boggles the mind even more as to what actually caused the downfall of the group (according to the musical).

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#30Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:06pm

Two questions here

Did I read somewhere that the same people who are doing Jersey Boys are doing this?

Was the show so bad that the "vultures" didn't even bother for comps?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#31Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:18pm

My question is:

"How mad is my mom going to be when I take her on Mother's Day?"

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#32Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:24pm

Oh the vultures were out in full force on Saturday night (and I'm sure they were there for subsequent previews as well). This should be an easy one for them to get into because it is being heavily comped.

Eris0303, I just hope your mom doesn't disown you after seeing this show!! (or pray that it closes before May 8th)

Jordan Catalano
#33Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:24pm

I was asked by two vultures for ticked last night.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#34Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:27pm

Eris0303, I just hope your mom doesn't disown you after seeing this show!! (or pray that it closes before May 8th)

Uh. I chose it mostly because of the music but now I'm very worried

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#35Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:42pm

yes, be afraid, be very afraid...

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#36Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:42pm

Eris, if you mom LIKES the show, you may need to disown her!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:47pm

I will gladly take a comp!

So is the production values good, or are they done on the cheap a la Wonderland?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#38Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:48pm

Eris, if you mom LIKES the show, you may need to disown her!

She's terribly hard to please.

Jordan Catalano
#39Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 1:02pm

It's a very cheap looking production that tries to make itself look better with flashing lights and projections.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#40Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 1:02pm

This is another great example of how hard it is to write a good jukebox musical. It looks like they followed the Jersey Boys formula right down to the advertising, but the book just doesn't work at all and it undercuts everything else in the show.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#41Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 1:50pm

SPIDER-MAN is in a class by itself, I think. Also, I saw it back in December and have sort of forgotten about it. Keeping up with the press is just exhausting at this point.

If this and WONDERLAND are as bad or worse than Spidey, then WOMEN ON THE VERGE is looking better every day. At least that had one or two decent songs and some salvageable performances.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#42Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 2:18pm

I still find it humorous that people are SO devided between Wonderland.

Baby, it's you always sounded like a 2nd rate Leader of the Pack.
I LOVED LOVED LOTP for all its campiness. The cast recording is brilliant! I love it.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 3/30/11 at 2:35pm

WONDERLAND just has a lot of pros and cons. The choreography is just weird. It doesn't make sense. Why would Alice be dancing like Beyonce? It's more like "boy band" dancing than actual musical theater choreography. It doesn't progress the story or anything. But I think the music is okay, and the story is interesting in the fact that you aren't quite sure what to make of it.

Jordan Catalano
#44Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 4/1/11 at 10:32pm

Anyone see this lately?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#45Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 4/1/11 at 11:10pm

This is a great thread. Thanks, Jordan!

And, yeah, why aren't there more people posting about this show...I'm anxiously awaiting the "Yes its not perfect but I loved it!" contingent.

Oh, Boomers....Broadways got yer yum-yums...heeeere Boomersboomersboomers...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#46Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 4/1/11 at 11:27pm

Saw it last night with some friends and boy did we LOVE it. What a riot!!! Not since Xanadu has there been such a wonderful, over the top, campfest on Broadway.

In all seriousness, the 6 months later sign is gone. They have no idea what story they are telling, or even how to write a frickin' show in the first place. The production values (especially the costumes and wigs) look very low budget. The choreography is high school quality and the girls need to get in front of a mirror so their moves and sync up.

Hats off to Brandon Uranowitz who is a remarkable young actor/singer (mid 20's I'd say). He plays Flo's blind son Stanley, but unfortunately also has to play Murray a (seemingly) middle aged record producer. I say unfortunate because Murray twice as often as Stanley, and despite his best efforts he just isn't the right age to play the part. I think the role got fleshed out more than originally planned so perhaps the best thing to do is hire another actor to play Murray and have Brandon simply play Stanley.

A particularly annoying aspect to last night's performance were the obvious plants in the rear orchestra to get the audience energized. Applause for key changes, whoops, whistles, oohs, ahhs, etc. The best was when they tried to get the whole audience clapping to the beat. They went on for a good minute, pretty much by themselves until they finally gave up. I understand they want the audience to "let go" and enjoy themselves to create buzz, but when you're trying to polish a show that can only get in your way.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
Updated On: 4/2/11 at 11:27 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#47Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 4/1/11 at 11:56pm

I just looked at pictures of the set on Anna Louizos's website. Wow. That set is horrendous. It looks like a set a dinner theatre would use for a Las Vegas revue.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#48Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:14am

It's just the creative team being high and goofy encouraging the audience. No joke. They're all back there hanging out.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#49Baby, THAT SUCKED!
Posted: 4/2/11 at 8:39am

That's what I figured.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Videos