pixeltracker

Andrew Llyod Webber planning "My Fair Lady" talent search show?

Andrew Llyod Webber planning "My Fair Lady" talent search show?

beautywickedlover
#1Andrew Llyod Webber planning "My Fair Lady" talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 12:38pm

Andrew Llyod Webber might be at it again. He might launch another reality competition to look for an actress to play Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady." The article also says this might be a new version of the musical. I don't think the musical needs to changed at all. It's a classic. Plus, even though I'd love for "My Fair Lady" to be revived it hasn't been too long ago since it played at the West End. What do you all think of this?

WHISPERING VOICES: Should Andrew Lloyd Webber Launch My Fair Lady Talent Search? Updated On: 4/25/11 at 12:38 PM

WOSQ
#2Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 1:10pm

Tacky.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#2Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 1:22pm

I read an article where ALW discussed that "The Wizard of Oz" came about because he was trying to think of what show he could mount that would be good to cast via a reality show. I can't believe his mind thinks that way.

AEA AGMA SM
#3Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 2:56pm

I don't see it as all that astonishing that a producer would try to think of a show to produce that could follow the business model of a previous success. Those casting competitions drum up huge amounts of publicity over there for their respective productions.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#4Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 2:59pm

And they're so much fun to watch. Dream after dream dying right in front of our eyes! It's the best thing ALW has ever done!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#5Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 3:04pm

My Fair Lady is so beautifully written, it does not need a single change. I would, however, love to see a large-scale US production of it on Broadway (maybe at the Beaumont) with a large set, full orchestra, etc.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#6Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 3:08pm

I would prefer for a production to be prompted by having the right people for it or by having a compelling artistic reason to present it, rather than because casting it would make a mildly entertaining television show. Then again, I often like to bury my head in the sand and pretend that there is a reasonable balance of art and commerce on Broadway these days.

For the record, I loved Laura Osnes in "South Pacific" and I'm glad that she was given the opportunity to begin her Broadway career because of the Grease show. If people like ALW insist on this method of casting, I hope the winners turn out to have her talent.

Katia2 Profile Photo
Katia2
#7Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 3:43pm

Don't like the idea of it, but I can't say I wouldn't watch the t.v. show. If they got Seth Rudetsky like Legally Blonde did then I'd unabashedly be all in.
Probably wouldn't go see the musical itself, but I'm sure droves of girls who regularly watch reality shows would.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#8Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 3:58pm

The best thing about the previous incarnations of television casting that I watched (Any Dream Will Do and How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria) is that, in the end, the British public voted to give actors who were struggling to make a name for themselves, but who already had West End credits, the big break they needed. Those Brits are so smart.

Plus...ALW is the most compellingly creepy television presence since Pennywise from IT.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 4:12pm

Beauty, I wonder if the "new" in the article just means new production, as opposed to new version. That's how I read it, but it's a BWW article which are, by nature, always confounding.
Updated On: 4/25/11 at 04:12 PM

beautywickedlover
#10Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/25/11 at 4:59pm

^ You never know. His version of "The Wizard of Oz" has all of the well-known songs from the film plus some new songs. He may do the same for this musical as well.

AnythingGoes2
#11Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/26/11 at 5:28am

The article written is ill-informed.

ALW will NEVER produce My Fair Lady. Cameron Mackintosh, who has produced the last 2 My Fair Lady West End production holds the rights, would produce the revival in the same manor of how he worked with the BBC and ALW on his revival of Oliver! in London via "Id Do Anything" back in 2008.

Lee Mead has now starred in Wicked and Legally Blonde - I think the reality show found a star. Jodie Prenger too has made a name for herself.

People aren't tired of voting yet (such a generalization to say they are or aren't anyway)

2008/9 revival of Oliver! gave Cameron his biggest advance for a musical ever at nearly 15 million possibly tempting his to do this again - and why not. I'm sure he will cast a great Henry Higgins away from reality (just like he did with Rowan ad Fagin) and replica the Trevor Nunn/NT version from 2003 which was so successful...

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#12Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/26/11 at 6:01am

I can't really see this happening.

addybrown13
#13Andrew Lloyd Webber planning 'My Fair Lady' talent search show?
Posted: 4/28/11 at 4:36pm

A-greed! Tacky, indeed.

-Addy

Videos