PRISCILLA and reviews

RagtimeRay
#1PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 6:54am

I saw PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESSERT on the night before its official Broadway opening. I loved the show, and couldn't wait to read all the great things the critics would have to say about it. Then I read Charles Isherwood's review in the NY Times. I was prompted to do something I had never done before - post my own "reader review" at the Times.

Here's a link to what I wrote: http://community.nytimes.com/rate-review/theater.nytimes.com/show/25510/Priscilla-Queen-of-the-Desert-The-Musical/overview?permid=26#comment26

Today I noted, with interest, that the NY Times no longer has a link to its own PRISCILLA review. There are 40 reader reviews, most (in fairness, there are naysayers) who take exception to the original review.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 9:56am

I saw the show two weeks ago. The show isn't out to change the world or the face of musical theater as we know it, but it is a very entertaining show. The audience I saw it with totally got it and were really into it. J. Elaine Marcos almost stole the show and got the most laughs. Tony Sheldon is the heart of the show. It's a good show and if it's main intent was to leave it's audience entertained with a smile on their face then it more than did it's job. I enjoyed myself.

Mr. Wonderful
#2PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 1:03pm

An important lesson to remember: just because it's in the NY Times, that doesn't mean it's true ...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 1:10pm

Likewise: just because you DO like it, doesn't mean everyone else does, either.

Different strokes.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 2:09pm

Isherwood wasn't the only critic who wasn't in love with it, either.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bwaybug85
#5PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 3:25pm

What's interesting is that Brantley put Priscilla for the "Should be Nominated" category for Best Book in the Tony predicitions. I wonder if he had reviewed it (rather than Isherwood) if it would've gotten a positive review from the Times.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#6PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/15/11 at 10:55pm

I loved Priscilla. I think it is a show that is fun and has alot of heart. I also think it is a super beautiful show from the awesome bus to the amazing costumes, there is so much to look at. I personally think that the three leads are very strong and have a great dynamic. It's the only new show of the season I've seen more than once.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

theatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
#7PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/20/11 at 12:33pm

Got to see Priscilla on a 3rd continent last weekend - this time on Broadway Seeing the show or rather the chance to see Tony Sheldon again was the main reason for my latest trip to NY.

The show is not as strong as the London or Australian productions - shoe horning Madonna into the musical score takes away from a very Australian story and the ending feels too rushed. Also I really miss Both Sides Now - it gives greater context and moves on the story in a way that True Colours doesn't.

I do however like the additional references to the Tick/Benji relationship through the show - it brings this relationship much closer to the core of the show.

That said, for me the heart of the show remains Bernadette. I was very dissapointed that Tony Sheldon doesn't get the final bow at the end of the show - he most definitely deserves it as he did in Australia and in London where he was the last to take a bow.

I had the great pleasure of meeting most of the cast after the show - all were incredibly friendly and seemed to really enjoy spending time with the shows fans. For me it was a particular pleasure to finally meet Tony Sheldon who was quite lovely. I hope that after Priscilla we get to see him much more on Broadway and especially here in London!!

starsang Profile Photo
starsang
#8PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/20/11 at 2:26pm

Hey theatrepaul, I'd love to hear how Both Sides Now was worked into other productions? I absolutely love the song but I haven't read or heard anything about where it would fit in the book. Thanks!

theatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
#9PRISCILLA and reviews
Posted: 5/20/11 at 3:06pm

It slots in where True Colours features in the Broadway production and cedes perfectly into Follie! Delinio....

Have a listen to the Australian cast recording, it is included there.

Videos