Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#1Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:00pm

Besides Jonathan Freeman as Jafar and James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie, who's in the cast? I know Andrew Kennan-Bolger is involved, as well.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:17pm

Isn't Andrew playing Abu?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#2Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:19pm

Abu?

As in the monkey?

If so, dear god...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:24pm

^

As long as Abu doesn't wear a shirt I'm cool with that. Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#4Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:28pm

According to his twitter he is taking a leave of absence from Mary Poppins.

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#5Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:32pm

Glad to see a good guy like James Monroe Inglehart get out of that travesty Memphis though. Loved him in The Wiz when I saw it two summers ago, only thing I liked about that show.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#6Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:37pm

Andrew must be playing Abu. What about the other leads?

And yea, James Monroe Iglehart is very talented. He'll be great as the Genie.

massofmen
#7Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:45pm

LOL! love this. kids/parents pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to conservatory and learn all this shakespeare, Mamet, Sondheim, and what do they do? Shows like mary Poppins and Aladin. Why not just move to florida and do the shows at disney world? I mean they are the same shows right?

is it really that much more artistic because you are doing it in another zip code?
lol..hilarious.

rmusic11322
#8Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 11:11pm

Courtney Reed for Jasmine 2011.

broadwayboy101
#9Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 11:26pm

I love it too! Almost as much as anonymous online posters bashing working actors.

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#10Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/29/11 at 11:52pm

^
No I think Andrew is hilarious and I have nothing against him personally (never met the guy) I just think creating a role out of a monkey that really goes ooh ooh ah ah and bye bye is ridiculous.

broadwayizme
#11Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:18am

In October of 2010 Andrew played Omar in a reading.

CATSNYrevival
#12Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:24am

Babkak, Omar and Kassim are back in?!? Yikes.

bwaylvsong
#13Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:28am

Well, at least Andrew looks Arab...

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#14Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:45am

Aladdin.

CATSNYrevival
#15Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:46am

^

It's the abs that do it.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#16Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:46am

Adam Jacobs is playing Aladdin.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

massofmen
#17Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:04am

not bashing working actors at all. Maybe think more before you respond.
I am bashing the shows. Maybe go back and read closer...i think its amazing that these children pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to be in glorified theme park shows..

threetwoone Profile Photo
threetwoone
#18Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:09am

If the Adam Jacobs new is true, thats amazing! He was by far the best Simba I've seen the few times I've seen the show, and that was only a week into him assuming the role. So excited to see him as Aladdin!

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#19Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:14am

Yeah from what i hear the band of thieves/ aladdin's 3 friends are back and abu is cut altogether. I dont know how i feel about that. I hope he'll at least make a cameo in puppet form or something. But yeah i dont think this is going to be the movie version set on stage. Could be fun.

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#20Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:16am

"Adam Jacobs is playing aladdin"

OH THANK GOD! I was so hoping they wouldn't go the typical cute white boy with a tan route. Aladdin is gonna be buff!
Updated On: 5/30/11 at 01:16 AM

bwayguy22089
#21Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:14am

Abu is cut. Courtney Reed is Jasmine, Adam Jacobs is Aladdin and various other Broadway performers are involved. There are 6 - 7 added songs (all original Aladdin songs cut from the film by Menken/Ashman/Rice) and a whole lot of reprises. Intermission is after Friend Like Me and Prince Ali opens Act II. Babkak, Omar and Kassim are in.
Updated On: 5/30/11 at 02:14 AM

gypsy4
#22Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 3:06am

what about Aladdin's mother?

CATSNYrevival
#23Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 3:55am

I still don't quite understand how they plan to seamlessly integrate Howard Ashman's cut songs with the new ones that were eventually written for the final film version, but I can easily see "Why Me," "To Be Free," "Proud of Your Boy" and "Humiliate the Boy" being worked in.

I assume the "Babkak, Omar, Aladdin and Kassim" song would be back in and maybe even "How Quick They Forget." Some of the other songs like "Call Me a Princess" and "High Adventure" seem like they would be very difficult to work in unless the lyrics are substantially revised.

I've only read the lyrics for "Hold On" and "Count on Me" so I'm not even sure who sings them or how they could be worked into the show, but the lyrics are nice enough.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#24Aladin 5th Avenue Theater Cast
Posted: 5/30/11 at 3:58am

Yeah, "Call Me a Princess" does not fit the character unless it's sung sarcastically. And even then it's iffy because that might be too much for a kids show

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".