Raul Esparza Master Class

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#1Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 4:47pm

Anyone going next Wednesday? Sounds interesting. Went to something somewhat similar awhile ago with Terrence Mann giving a class helping people with auditions. It was excellent.

Bostongal Profile Photo
Bostongal
#2Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 4:58pm

I'm coming in from Boston...looking forward to it!

I don't believe that less is more. I believe that more is more. I believe that less is less, fat fat, thin thin, and enough is enough. Mark Hampton

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#2Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 4:59pm

As a student or auditor?

Bostongal Profile Photo
Bostongal
#3Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 5:03pm

Auditor. You?

I don't believe that less is more. I believe that more is more. I believe that less is less, fat fat, thin thin, and enough is enough. Mark Hampton

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#4Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 7:54pm

For some reason, when I first read the title of this thread, my initial (humorous) reaction was:

"What, Raul is going to replace Tyne Daly as Maria Callas in Master Class?".

I'm way too sleepy to be reading these threads right now. LOL!

And actually, now that I think about it, I think Raul could be awsome in "Master Class", in some alternate universe where he could play the role.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#5Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:30pm

choitoy, I keep thinking the same thing. Even more confusing since he did workshops of The Golden Age, the newest McNally opera play.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

rjm516
#6Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:40pm

Oh I wish I could go to this Raul Esparza Master Class (as an auditor, I'm not talented). I hope those of you going will post about it!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:41pm

"What, Raul is going to replace Tyne Daly as Maria Callas in Master Class?"

Now that would get me on a plane. Raul Esparza Master Class

Anyway, I'm sure this will be pretty awesome. Y'all who are going are in for a great experience.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 7/7/11 at 09:41 PM

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#8Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/7/11 at 10:26pm

Conversely, I told someone I was going to see "Master Class with Tyne Daly" and she asked "Really? What is she going to instruct you in?"

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#9Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/8/11 at 10:26am

What is the title of Esparza's master class? Something along the lines of "How to Over Act and Adore Yourself Without Shame?"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/8/11 at 4:30pm

I want to go! What are the details?

wonkit
#11Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/8/11 at 4:48pm

Go to broadwayspace.com. But the auditors' spaces sold out the first day, so unless you want to be a participant, the best you can hope for is the auditor wait list.

BWayFanatic Profile Photo
BWayFanatic
#12Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/9/11 at 2:10pm

Has anyone been let in off the wait list yet? I just added myself to the list but I'm worried it's too late. This looks amazing.

P.S. If any of you auditors end up not being able to go, feel free to PM me :)

Chrysanthemum62001
#13Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/10/11 at 10:00am

I will be there. It's something I'm really looking forward to.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

aliceidinabernadette Profile Photo
aliceidinabernadette
#14Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/10/11 at 11:08am

I really wanted to go (as a participant), but I'm going to New York in August (so I can see Follies), and we couldn't swing it to go twice in one summer(I'm from Toronto, so it's a bit of a hike). I saw Raul in the "Very, Very Best of Broadway" concert last night in Toronto, and it made me even more upset I wasn't going.

Give me a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and I'll conquer the world!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#15Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/12/11 at 12:25pm

Wife and I will be there as auditors tomorrow night. Was on the wait list and were contacted.... Joined wait list about 2 weeks ago. I wonder how many auditor spots there were.

wonkit
#16Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/13/11 at 1:57pm

Is anyone attending as a participant? I hope so, so we get a report from both auditors and "students."

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#17Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/13/11 at 3:19pm

Looking forward to it tonight - 6:30-10:30 - pretty long!

KaylaG
#18Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/13/11 at 3:35pm

As per the @BroadwaySpace twitter account "Just announced: Bway musical director Mary-Mitchell Campbell will be accompanying & co-teaching at tonight's masterclass with Raul Esparza!"

I wish I could be there but I'm on the audit wait list. Should be a great night for those who can attend or participate!

BWayFanatic Profile Photo
BWayFanatic
#19Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/14/11 at 12:15am

Any reports on how this was? I was waitlisted too Raul Esparza Master Class Any word of another one? *fingers crossed*

Chrysanthemum62001
#20Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/14/11 at 12:27am

The short answer is it was amazing. I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

wonkit
#21Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/14/11 at 1:48am

Phenomenal. Funny. Touching. Instructive. Supportive. They should have filmed it.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#22Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/14/11 at 7:42am

I thought it was excellent. Sat next to a producer (Adam?) who was auditing since his business partner was performing.

He did different things with the 8 people who performed, all relevant to improving some aspect of their performance.

8 performers, and I estimated about 50 auditors. Large range of age and talent, but Raul did a great job with each of them. Definitely worth attending.

Had a Q&A session afterwards, only thing missing was a song from Raul - my wife asked him if he could do one of his audition songs, but he didn't have music for any of them....

Mary-Mitchell was also fantastic with her comments and musical accompaniament (?). Works VERY well with Raul.

The 4 hours went by quickly!

2 of the 8 songs were from Raul involved plays - Taboo and Company.....

Lots more, but I'll let some of the others chime in...

Alexandra or Elyse on here (2 of the performers)? My wife thought the last guy (Michael) had an excellent voice.... Raul worked on his acting...

Oh - there was a photographer from the NY Times there - not sure when if anything will be in the paper, but she took quite a few pictures.....

Updated On: 7/14/11 at 07:42 AM

Chrysanthemum62001
#23Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/14/11 at 9:29am

Now that I've gathered my thoughts a bit more, I can say this-Raul was such an amazing cheerleader. And somehow (at least from where I was standing) he made me feel confidant and proud to be who I was.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#24Raul Esparza Master Class
Posted: 7/14/11 at 9:41am

Raul also seemed to be able to put the performers at ease pretty quickly..... Convinced them to do some pretty odd things once they were comfortable!
Updated On: 7/14/11 at 09:41 AM