pixeltracker

Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show

Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/20/11 at 7:29pm

Any word on who the first Broadway guests will be on Rosie's new talk show? Any guesses if it'll be Chicago casts or NY ones?

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#2Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 10:40am

I saw a rehearsal taping of The Rosie Show last week. An audience member asked her if she had any Broadway shows to recommend, and she said she loved The Book of Mormon.

She also said that Andrew Rannells was a good friend of hers, and he would be on the show soon to sing "I Believe."

-Jacob.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#2Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 6:03pm

How was the show, Jacob?

I remember hearing that she was going to focus a lot on Broadway, but the format of the show was changed up to where it wouldn't really be relevant anymore.

gcal
#3Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 6:22pm

I wonder how her Chicago location will affect the amount of Broadway she showcases?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#4Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 6:35pm

I would imagine it would make it more difficult but we shall see...

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#5Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 8:45pm

Looking at her new web site, it doesn't seem like Broadway is really represented, but I can't imagine her not slipping some in. I was surprised at her confidence to buy a house in Chicago already though.

karma3
#6Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 9:02pm

As long as it's better than Rosie Live, we'll all be ok.

https://www.oprah.com/own_tv/plug_form.html?plug_id=8670222

is a good way to tell Rosie we want Broadway on there.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#7Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 9:16pm

I was more excited for Rosie's new show when she originally said she was going to be in New York from a Broadway Theatre and she would be showcasing Broadway shows/stars from time to time.

When I heard she decided to tape from Chicago I was thinking we are going to see less Broadway on her show. I will still give it a chance.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#8Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/21/11 at 11:12pm

I'm remaining positive that she will at some point (hopefully early in the run) move the show to new york...it just makes so much more sense.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#9Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/22/11 at 12:29am

When I heard she decided to tape from Chicago

Did she decide to or did Oprah decide that she'd be filming in Chicago at Harpo Studios?

Brick
#10Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/22/11 at 12:37am

The show she announced that would film in a Bway house was a syndicated talk show designed to fill the afternoon spot when Oprah ended her show. Then, Oprah asked Rosie to do a show for the Oprah Winfrey Network. So, Rosie dropped the plans for the syndicated show.

Oprah has a huge complex in Chicago (Harpo Studios), so there wasn't a question of where to do it: Rosie was doing the show in Chicago. The NY show and the Harpo show were two different shows.

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#11Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/22/11 at 3:32pm

@Overkill

Sorry, I'm on break at work, so I'm just jotting down memories, forgive the formatting and probable grammatical errors.

I really enjoyed the show. When they first announced it, it was said that the show would be much more similar to the Oprah model. . one guest/topic per hour show.

Apparently that idea is gone, because the format is almost identical to the original Rosie O'Donnell Show.

The show opened with Rosie doing standup in front of a red velvet curtain. She wasn't at her desk or doing a typical monologue. . they dressed it to look like a nightclub, and she leaned on the mic stand. Then, she took questions from the audience ala Carol Burnett (she gave credit where credit was due.)

After that came the guests, Nora Ephron and her sister discussing "Love, Loss, and What I Wore" and working with Rosie on Sleepless In Seattle.

Richard Marx was next as the musical guest. He lives in the Chicagoland area, so it wasn't much of a surprise to me. He played guitar and sang a new song, and no one really cared.

A stand up comedian was next. She was okay, not really my cup of tea.

Lastly, there was a game similar to "Name That Tune" where two contestants bid to see who could name the most characters from a classic TV show.

All in all, it was very interesting. Rosie was incredibly gracious and sweet to the audience. A lot of people were being a little rude and interrupting her with questions and comments, and she answered each and every one with a lot of grace. I was really impressed by her patience.

She mentioned Broadway quite a bit, during her monologue, and during the Q&A portion. Someone asked her what her favorite musical was and she said "Les Miz." She said she was so obsessed with the show that she knew all of the little interludes by heard, and started to sing some of the show. People clapped and she said "Don't encourage me, or I'll spend the rest of the segment singing from Les Mis."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/22/11 at 10:19pm

I would think a lot of tours would be able to appear on her show. many tours stop in Chicago for weeks, some even a month or longer. Book of Mormon plans to do a sit down starting in Dec. 2012. Mary Poppins will be playing there from Oct. 13 - Nov. 6, 2011 and Million Dollar Quartet will be playing from Oct. 31 - Dec. 30, 2011.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#13Broadway on Rosie's New Talk Show
Posted: 9/22/11 at 11:16pm

When Oprah was taping, guests flew out from New York to do spots all the time and flew right back to make evening commitments. The show tapes in the morning and its a 90 minute plane ride.. I don't see why she wouldn't have Broadway performers on; maybe not the entire cast (but it was rare for her to do that even when she had the show in NYC)

Videos