pixeltracker

Other Desert Cities first preview- Page 2

Other Desert Cities first preview

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#25Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 11:52am

One ticket per account, but you can "link" your account with another member and buy two tickets together for a single performance.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#26Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 12:16pm

Important question! How does the theatre look? Think they did some work on the interior after High closed, no?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#27Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 12:56pm

My linctix ticket for November is front row on the aisle. Searched other dates and all seemed to be aisle seating. Hope that helps!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#28Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 1:00pm

Smaxie, the theater looks great. Much brighter and inviting. Glad it was refurbished in time for this brilliant production!

Mildred Plotka
#29Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 2:14pm

Good to hear about restoration. That theatre has always felt dark and depressing to me.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#30Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 4:04pm

Many thanks for the information on the rush tickets! Very excited to see this, and was disappointed that I didn't land in the age bracket, so this is terrific news.

Also really happy to hear the first preview was extremely well received; it sounds like an amazing production!

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#31Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 4:44pm

Wow, I was thinking of holding out until winter break for this one, but I might have to get there sooner! I was in The Booth a few weeks ago, and I think it looks wonderful as well.

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
#32Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 10:36pm

Just a fair warning: according to the Box Office they are not offering rush tickets in any way. I have tried two different times now, talking to two different people and they have said that LincTix is the only option. Even when I mentioned the LCT Twitter feed, they just informed me that the info I had was incorrect. Other Desert Cities first preview

HBBrock
#33Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/13/11 at 11:06pm

I have Row BB 101 and 102 also.

Why does the "new" seating chart show BB as the second row if it's in fact the 1st?

Mildred Plotka
#34Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:07am

Why would they do a student/under 35 rush on top of advance ticket sales to 35 and under? From the looks of it, if they're still available, you can go online and purchase for the same day. Not sure what the gripe is? Wouldn't you rather have the discount AND know you're getting in before you go to the Booth?

bwayfan7000
#35Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:14am

Well, Linctix isn't 35 and under; it's 21-35. For those of us who don't fall into that age bracket, the discount options aren't that great. I am trying to figure out a way around the Linctix policy, but, alas, I don't think I'm going to succeed. But I'll pay way more than I'd like to because, based on what I'm reading in this thread, this show is not to be missed.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Mildred Plotka
#36Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:46am

Ah, I see...

Maybe they're just trying to keep children away. Which I am 100 % behind!

bwayfan7000
#37Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:35am

Not quite everyone below 21 falls into the category of "children". And I think there would be many a person younger than 21 who would quite enjoy this kind of theatre and would benefit from the Linctix program. I don't know why they restrict it so.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Mildred Plotka
#38Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:20am

Forgot to put the Other Desert Cities first preview                                sorry hon (was totally joking)! I agree, 21 does seem odd. Didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#39Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/15/11 at 12:09am

I just returned from this evening's performance, and those with tickets will not be disappointed. I'm on quite a streak after Follies, Sons of the Prophet and now ODC. Stockard Channing is just divine in this, and Judith Light is a comedic gem. Rachel Griffiths is also very strong, though I felt she lacked believability when she started a new line but two or three-words in she was right on track (and it just started previews, so she will only continue to shine).

For those with front row LincTix seats need not worry, the stage is quite low - prob comes in at about chest level when seated. Prepare for lots of bare feet, though.

Stuck around for the stage door, very small crowd and Stockard & Julia were just DOLLS and posed for photos. Rachel was also very kind, but no photos (so spare yourself the breath).

I cannot forget the men, Stacy and Thomas (both in great form, especially Mr. Keach). While I appreciated Thomas' performance, I felt his character was a bit of a throwaway but SPOILER....I guess the show needed some kind of mediator as both sides were pitted against each other quite determinedly. END SPOILER

I'm not sure if the piece is written in such a way that persuades the viewer to side with one person over the other, but it definitely would make for a good debate. Very funny in the beginning, and equally packs a deep emotional punch.

And also spotted was cutie Matt Risch at intermission and again at stage door, waiting for Joe Mantello to come out and leave together <3

musicman_bwayfan
#40Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/15/11 at 12:25am

Dshnookie - I was also at tonight's performance in the front row. What a coincidence. Yes, the show was excellent. Run don't walk to see this. The set + lighting are also terrific. I'd see this again.

Luv2goToShows
#41Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/15/11 at 9:21am

Thinking of picking up tickets, since discounts are minimal, I am wondering how the sight lines are from the rear mezzanine. Anyone know? Thanks

NYCBound91
#42Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/15/11 at 7:06pm

I'm disappointed to hear that there is no rush policy, as there was a policy listed for this show as of a few weeks ago that apparently wasn't correct. I'm 20, so I can't do LincTix, and it's just unfortunate that I don't have any discount options. I guess I'll have to save up, since this is a show I don't want to miss!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#43Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/21/11 at 10:13pm

I think this play is going to do very well. I think it will as big a hit as Good People. I think most performances will sell out or come close. With this cast and all the raves, this is going to clean up.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#44Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/22/11 at 12:05am

Wow. I'm surprised people like this so much.

Not very interesting or surprising. Almost melodramatic.

SEMI SPOILER: When Keach lets go with the "big surprise" I almost expected organ music in the background.

No wonder Lavin left the show. Not much meat in that part.

Rachel Griffiths (sp) was a big bore to me. Yeah, the lady is supposed to be fighting depression but that casting was just too spot on. Keach was declaring a lot. Oy.

Channing was perfect. Even though a bit miscast, she rises above it all. Endlessly fascinating.

Another play about a disfunctional family. Oh joy!

broadfan327
#45Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/22/11 at 1:44am

I saw it Thursday night. I thought the play was very good, but not excellent. For my money, August: Osage County and Dividing the Estate were better plays about dysfunctional families. (I think August was a play that comes around once in a decade). I did not like the last third of Other Desert Cities. However, the acting was superb, especially Rachel and Stockard.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46Other Desert Cities first preview
Posted: 10/22/11 at 11:48pm

Saw the matinee today (from the front row) and just loved it. Stockard Channing was absolutely brilliant, and the rest of the cast was fantastic, too. Channing deserves a Tony for this, and I hope she's remembered come June.

Throughout the play, I find myself sympathizing with various characters at various moments- first Brooke, then Silda, and then later on, Polly. None of the characters are particularly good or bad.

A highly engaging play, and easily the best of the season thus far. Is it as good as August: Osage County? Absolutely not, but that's one of those rare plays that comes along once a decade or so.