#25Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:19am

What was the set like?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#26Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:24am

There is no set really, just different props they bring on for the different parables. There are many trap doors in the stage floor that are lifted to expose various things.

The theater is decorated with chandeliers left over from Bloody, Bloody last season, why I'm not sure.

There is a piano on stage, but the rest of the band is spread out throughout the theater. Probably a reason they are having issues with balancing the sound right now.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#27Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:28am

This sounds so unbelievably bad Godspell - First Preview Tonight

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#28Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:32am

I actually very much enjoyed it. I thought that it was really put together quite nice. They do have some sound issues to work out, as I couldn't understand some of the things being sung. Lindsay Mendez and Telly Leung are absolute stand-outs. They have great characters throughout the entire show. The first song in the second act with the 2 of them and Wallace Smith, was absolutely mind-blowing! I also thought that Anna Maria Perez de Tagle did a fine job as well. I didn't find much problem with the casting, but I'm not sure how I feel about Hunter as of yet. I'm gonna go a couple more times before I make a consensus.

WhizzerMarvin
#29Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:32am

Well to be fair Godspell has never been a musical that has required a set. Especially since it is set in the round there is really no way they could effectively have a set that didn't block the view of some audience members.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

broadfan327
#30Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:33am

The sense that I got was the characters were ad-libbing some lines. There was a reference that this was the first preview. I can't imagine that Steve Jobs is a permanent part of the script, as his death happened only last week. I thought it will be like Spelling Bee where the news item of the week is inserted into the script. Not to defend the script in anyway...

Goldenboy2
#31Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:35am

The show was AMAZEBALLS!!!! One of the things I like most was how they updated the script and made things so present and current. The music was awesome, this cast can sing, sing sing!!!! It was packed almost to capacitythe jokes u can tell were meant to be silly and even dumb to the point where they make u laugh. Loved the joke about Steve Jobs. It wasn't even a joke they were siimply paying homage to a great man so all of the backlash on this thread seems really silly. It's charming, cute and its not a Broadway show...its an event. Go if u want to smile, laugh and simply be engulfed into some dumbness!!
Tweets have already been blasted about people ranting and raving about the show!!! People will definitely Love and hate the show but its worth seeing.

WhizzerMarvin
#32Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:38am

Well the lines in "Turn Back, O Man" about it being the first preview and her "slipping" into our playbills were clearly ad-libed. (I actually thought the playbill line was cute.)

I felt like the Steve Jobs line was rehearsed. It felt too planned to be completely off the cuff. Perhaps those lines in "Turn Back, O Man" will be ad-libed differently every night, but I didn't get the sense that the rest of the script had any spontaneity in it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#33Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:39am

Was the theater filled?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#34Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:40am

Well to be fair Godspell has never been a musical that has required a set. Especially since it is set in the round there is really no way they could effectively have a set that didn't block the view of some audience members.

Definitely. I was referring to the show sounding bad as a whole, not the set. Godspell - First Preview Tonight                      Were the costumes just modern day clothes? How was the finale staged?

WhizzerMarvin
#35Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:40am

There were some pockets of empty seats, but mostly it was full. Now how many people actually paid is an entirely different story...

Goldenboy2
#36Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:47am

Yeah, it was filled. U guys its Godspell NOT Hamlet. There is no right or wrong way to do it. U will never see the same production...ever. The cast is freakin stunning. Hunter Parrish & Wallace Smith have amazing chemistry...my opinion. The end of the show was very moving too. Telly, Anna, Lindsay etc they are incredible and having a ball up there....so it seemed.
It's going to do really well cause its a family show.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#37Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:51am

Goldenboy2 = Ken Davenport

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

#38Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:54am

Well as to any of the changes--Schwartz and crew are involved, aren't they? Surely they're allowed to change it how they want... (Didn't the rece4nt tour use cell phones, etc, too)?

That said, it sounds dire. Whizzer's review was one of the best things I've read in a while. But I admit, I'm no Godspell fan--the odd movie holds some weird fascination to me, and I like some of the music, but it's probably my least fave Schwartz show--and yes that includes Magic Show. The show just rubs me the wrong way... Did Godspell ever really have a set? I've never seen pics of the full stage for the original Broadway production, but I know it opened first in a cafe or something.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#39Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:57am

The question is, will it even get to opening night? When the other Jesus arrives, it's going to get it's holy ass kicked out of Broadway.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 10/14/11 at 12:57 AM

mrl762
#40Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 12:59am

EASY WHIZZER, sounds like someone needs to let go of those high school dreams, the 80s are over and you need to keep up with the times, as does the show. Sounds like the youg people at the show enjoyed it, so tell us, when is the show you wrote going to open?

labwyfan Profile Photo
labwyfan
#41Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:04am

Now it's getting good! Must admit, I do not agree with posting such a detailed review after the first preview. It's kinda...mean...just sayin'.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#42Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:13am

I hope you shills are mining for pull quotes while you're in this thread, 'cause you won't get them from critics.

Here's one for ya, on the house: "AMAZEBALLS!! Simply be engulfed into some dumbness!!"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#43Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:13am

the 80s are over and you need to keep up with the times, as does the show.

Then why on earth do they do the 80's chicken dance?!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#44Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:15am

What are the costumes?
More important, does Hunter remove any (or all) of his?

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#45Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:16am

I think it will be very difficult to separate people's feelings on Godspell from their feelings on this specific production.

WhizzerMarvin
#46Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:24am

mrl762- ha, I don't expect to see the same show I was in during high school. I would hope this one would be a lot better! Should the Hair revival "kept up with the times?" Maybe if Crissy had only tweeted where she was going to be in the city she would have met up with Frank Mills again! Guess that's the price she paid for not keeping current with today's culture.

Comparing the two revivals is actually helpful. I'm not crazy about Hair in general, but that revival was SO much more successful than this Godspell revival. Both have loose, episodic structures, and both are products of their time. Whereas Hair decided to stay true to the period, Godspell did not and I felt it backfired. Just my opinion.

I also don't have to be a playwright in order to know when I hear lines that are stinkers. I can't singer opera worth a lick, but I sure can tell the difference between an exhilarating performance at the Met and one that is merely mediocre. Surely you wouldn't suggest that I have to master an aria before I can critique anyone else singing it?

labwyfan- This first preview was not so good, but I don't think it had much to do with the fact it was the first preview. Sure there were some sound issues and missed lighting cues. That stuff can all be fixed and I wouldn't criticize those issues. Most shows have some issues like that at a first preview.

I paid for my ticket and feel like I can share my thoughts about the show in as little or as much detail as I please. If the production had been better I could have written ten paragraphs of praise. (After some other first previews I certainly have.)

Updated On: 10/14/11 at 01:24 AM

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#47Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:26am

Then why on earth do they do the 80's chicken dance?!

Not to mention a Sally Field joke from 1984, and the Electric Slide from 1976...

labwyfan Profile Photo
labwyfan
#48Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:31am

Fair enough. But what's the point? Do you want to be the first to slam a bad show? Do you want the creators to know your opinion so they can change it? Do you want the actors to second-guess their performances? Why do it? You have every right to. And I have a right to think it's mean.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#49Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 1:32am

"EASY WHIZZER, sounds like someone needs to let go of those high school dreams, the 80s are over and you need to keep up with the times, as does the show. Sounds like the youg people at the show enjoyed it, so tell us, when is the show you wrote going to open?"

Oh FFS! That "They hate it because they're just jealous" way of writing off opinions you don't like is juvenile and petty. Whizzer is a respected poster and experienced theatre-goer who always provides great feedback on shows early in the preview process (that can be appreciated even if you disagree). If you don't agree, fine! But don't play the "Those that can't do, criticize" card. That's clearly not the case here (and rarely is for anyone over 1Godspell - First Preview Tonight                               .

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 10/14/11 at 01:32 AM